What's new

On the fence about dragging a quad cross country

Monkeys

Redhead weakness.
Member Number
Picked up a 1987 Yamaha moto 4 350cc. 2wd On trade a while back.

It runs great, everything works and is in decent shape. Has high/low/reverse and is a auto clutch 5 speed.

So, do I drag the damn thing from NY to AZ or just buy one there? It would be used to drag weeds, general yard duty or run to the mailbox (if they are at a central spot rather down the road rather than a box at each driveway)

We plan to buy a min acre, to maybe 10 or so depending on what we find, so a quad might be handy to have.

My plan is to bring the 10kw generator, welding tanks, and probably my trail tent trailer (it fits on my 6x10 flatbed trailer) to AZ behind the JKU, so I should have room for a quad...but...its nothing special.

Attachments

• 20210619_181316.jpg
    20210619_181316.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 31
20210619_181335.jpg

Someone prior mounted one of the tires backwards..:homer:

Tent trailer I'm putting together. Its a motorcycle tent trailer..

Has a new 2x2 steel frame, lifted, bigger tires ect. Weighs nothing. Basically a rooftop tent on a trailer.

Attachments

• 20200612_133830.jpg
    20200612_133830.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
Depends on the market where you are. If people are still willing to pay crazy prices, I would sell it there and look for something later on when you know what you need.

Depends on the market where you are. If people are still willing to pay crazy prices, I would sell it there and look for something later on when you know what you need.
Thats what I'm leaning towards, but my luck the market there (AZ) will be more expensive than NY.

If that was the 4x4 big bear hell no. The 2wd maybe. Still one of my most favorite wheelers of all time.

I'd take it with. A buddy I hadn't seen in years was up from OK for a church deal. He's been looking and said he couldn't find anything reasonable there. He called a dealer in NE that he used to buy from when they were kids, they said they had 1 unit left but if he wanted it he better put a deposit down. He did and they said it was the longest a unit has sat on their floor this year. 2 hours. And it was pretty well used from what I saw.

I get one person offering $900 every week on FB. And a few $1000 offers so far (they never get past that point)

Not really sure what it's worth, but for $1400 I would let it go.

I haven't seen a rideable quad under $2500. But also haven't seen a 1987 quad listed either.:laughing:

I get one person offering $900 every week on FB. And a few $1000 offers so far (they never get past that point)

Not really sure what it's worth, but for $1400 I would let it go.

I haven't seen a rideable quad under $2500. But also haven't seen a 1987 quad listed either.:laughing:
Other side of the country mind, but even the 80's utility quads I see for sale here start at a grand unless it's real beat up and small displacement, that would likely bring 1500 here since all the 20 year old ones start at 3k.

I'd buy that thing for 1k if you were coming through Dallas on your way to AZ. My wife could use that to get around at the race track.

Take it with you. That's the nicest moto 4 I've ever seen.

Wife bought a 14 Honda. Eps, dct, auto/electric shift. $6k. Husband was hurt and wife wanted him to sell it. 950 miles.
We looked at plenty others. $5k was the bottom of the "buy and use without a pile of parts" market.
I have seen 90's stuff still going in the $4k range. It's stupid right now.

Top Back Refresh