What's new

On board air !

Update on a Puma Compressor, It was older than I thought. 15 years old, I installed it in 2006 when I bought the truck.

Well it Died, I was driving across the desert and at some point it blew a line and ran for an undetermined amount of time.

I had been on the road about 3 hrs. when I pulled off the freeway I heard air, and the compressor running.

When I got home I fired it up, the thing did start very slowly, it did build pressure to 135lbs, and click off but labored and smelled like an electrical fire so I ditched it.

I'll open it up and look what I can see

pictures below

20210416_160623.jpg

New Compressor

20210418_111202.jpg

Old Compressor, New tank and hardware separated to mount under the truck

20210418_111348.jpg

New compressor and relay/on off switch. Plus I added an override switch in the cab.

I used a normally open relay to power the compressor and wired the contactors from the compressor to trigger the relay. The older compressors only used one side of the contactor and would burn up, nice to see now they jumper them to use both halves.

The mounted picture is awkward to tell what's up, I made the diamond plate panel, separated the compressor from the tank and mounted it all upside down between the frame and the fender in front of the rear wheel on a long bed 3/4 ton chevy. I'm laying on my back taking the picture.

the compressor is near the cab of the truck, and the tank is near the fender opening

I actually have what you need. It’s a pressure amplifier. It has large and small pistons and looks like an air cylinder. High flow low pressure goes in and low flow high pressure comes out. Pistons pump back and forth. I think I got a 2:1 so 100psi = 200psi, max pressure might be 300psi. DM it’s for sale if you want it.
That at higher pressures is what scuba shops have used to fill scuba tanks to about 4500 psi depending on material and dimensions of said tank.

The shop I trained at in about 1977 had one from memory in LA.

I got one of these from a friend who had it on a service truck. Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but its cool. I think the Thomas I already have mounted is a better fit for my buggy due to size, but the output on this one is impressive. 1HP permanent magnet motor and cast iron pump.

Products - 12-Voltair

1618840972907.png

Last edited:
Sanden. Quiet, fits, is cheap and good longevity for Intermittent use. Squirt some oil in the intake before each trip. Hav an air oil separator on the output.

Sanden. Quiet, fits, is cheap and good longevity for Intermittent use. Squirt some oil in the intake before each trip. Hav an air oil separator on the output.
I've been using a sanden that came on the 4.0 I swapped into my CJ5 like 15yrs ago for air and its still going strong. No lube, not even a filter for incoming air. Of course I only use it for filling tires at the end of a trip so not a ton of use or rpms. I found early on that if you just use the compressor (york or sanden) only while the engine is idling, then it won't get super hot or pump a lot of oil/moisture into the lines.

On my 4runner I've been looking for some good way to get compressed air on it. I like the idea of something portable and I'm trying to keep the AC system intact. However, portability comes at a cost of needing to stow it somewhere and space is a premium when a family of 4 is camping out of the back of a 4runner or jeep. I'm really leaning towards finding another sanden and trying to move all the 4.3L accessories around to mount it.

I'd love to see some cfm specs of a sanden or york at 90-120psi if anyone has any.

Kevin

Top Back Refresh