71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
Sooo... where does on buy belts?

1669733880906.png

What's it worth?

Make sure you tell us absolutely nothing about condition and location.

ive got 2 south bend lathes. and one is just ike that.

i'd also like to know where you get the belt and also how to put it on. i'm assumeing you have to take it apart to get it on.

My friend got a flat belt made to order from mcmaster carr.

Another friend also did a linked together V belt and ran that for many years without issue.

unless it has a box of cross slide gears/ threading gears and tooling not much
at least the 3 phase conversion is cheap
possibly from the 1930s

Looks like a collet spindle nose there on it currently, chuck laying on the table with it.
You can find parts, gears, etc for these old things if you're patient and watch eBay. Anytime I come across lathe tooling that doesn't fit my stuff I put it up there for sale because I know some poor soul is out there looking for it and I try to let it go for an okay price too. If it sits for more than 2 months or so I am asking too much.

So as for this machine, its worth what you're willing to pay for a simple old lathe that can be used for some small work like making bushing shells, or taking down the shoulder on hardware, misc whatever. If you're not going to be doing any super heavy work on it, don't currently have a lathe, and this will do some little misc lathe things better than a drill press and a grinder then its worth $350 to most people who want a "basement / shed lathe".

Now there may be a group of people who might pay more because they can have a buddy help them move it. I had a Clausing 8530 "Cabinet Knee Mill" that could be taken apart and two guys could carry it... because of that feature I sold it for more than I've ever paid for any of my 2500+ lb machinery.

ive got 2 south bend lathes. and one is just ike that.

i'd also like to know where you get the belt and also how to put it on. i'm assumeing you have to take it apart to get it on.

Amazon, mcmaster, ebay, fastenal all have flat belts. You dont need to take the machine apart they have a metal linkage to put the belt together.

Pic didnt load

Attachments

• images-17.jpeg
    images-17.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 2
Top Back Refresh