Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Knock Off

INGREDIENTS-

4 slices of bacon, diced
1 pound of hot Italian sausage, bulk or links with casings removed
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups (32 oz) chicken stock or broth
3 cups russet potatoes, pealed and cubed
2 loosely packed cups baby spinach, “chunk chopped” (Kale can also be used)
1 cup heavy cream
Sea or kosher salt, and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS-

1. In a large soup pot or sauce pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Add sausage and break it apart as it cooks. Once sausage is browned and crumbled, drain off most of the grease (leave a little to sauté the onion).

2. Push the sausage to the edges of the pot and add onion to the center. Sauté until onion is translucent, then add garlic, continue to sauté a couple minutes.

3. Stir in broth and potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Simmer or about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

4. Add spinach and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, taste and re-season as needed.

Serve with Parmesan cheese (sliced sourdough goes well with this too)

My wife loves this stuff! I've never tried it. I will pass this along to her. Thanks!

Parents are addicted to this soup.

I have done a few things to kick it up a notch.

1. Pour a glass of wine and drink it while cooking!
  2. Fuck the kale! OP is spot on with the spinach. I don't measure but I toss in a whole bag of baby spinach.
  3. Bacon is red-neck pancetta. Pancetta is fucking expensive but it's true Italian. I can't tell the difference; but if your going to a be a food snob. Let her rip!
  4. Add a cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Don't use the crap that comes in a can! The added cheese thickens this recipe a little toward an alfredo
  5. Cento brand Italian seasoning, crushed red-pepper and maybe a little cayenne pepper. I like it hot!
  6. After I sweat my onions; I include a couple of table-spoons of finely chopped shallots with my garlic.
  7. I'am lazy; leave the skin on the potatoes. :smokin:

I made it the other day. I will make it again!

Top Back Refresh