What's new

OLD Kawasaki Mule 2wd - How horrible in the woods?

budget76

Thread Killer
Member Number
Loc
Hartford, CT
This thing is for sale locally, claims to run but not idle. Seller said its 2wd. Listing says 1990, so somewhere in that vintage. Asking $1400 but its been there a while, I'd be tempted at $1,000

How terrible are these off-road in 2wd? Are they grossly underpowered? Are the rear diffs open or locked? Can I stack the bed with a couple hundred pounds of wood and a yard trailer behind it full too to move around a somewhat hilly/rooty property if I throw better tires on the rear?

Currently I use my yard tractor and trailer, but this thing would be WAY more comfortable for moving stuff around plus the wife would use it. But I don't want to be getting stuck every time I try to go uphill with a load
_nc_ohc=0LGQiZ_5_dMAX-ANxyQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

The guys I know that had early Mules like that one absolutely hated them. Underpowered and slow. I would think that by the time you put enough weight in the back to get traction in hilly terrain you'd be very light in the front.

The guys I know that had early Mules like that one absolutely hated them. Underpowered and slow. I would think that by the time you put enough weight in the back to get traction in hilly terrain you'd be very light in the front.
thanks, all i needed to hear. I don't need another project that bad

I have one. Hills suck. As a work rig on relatively level ground it works great. Not suitable for toy use imo.
It does get around better than you’d think though especially with the diff lock.

Its probably fine for utility stuff. I used to work maintenance at a camp when I was in high school and we beat golf carts through all sorts of stuff loaded with tools and dragging junk around.

Some soft knobby tires will make it much more capable. For 1k, i think its a good buy. Better than a yard tractor for sure.

dad used to have one like that, ran it plenty. It’s not a fun machine but worked great as a yard machine. $1,400 doesn't buy much these days.

Top Back Refresh