What's new

Ok - HOW?!

I’m sitting next to a RR phantom, so that guy I’d guess.

I'm reasonably sure it's my largest sale ever. Damn thing cost more than my truck, and I'm paying on it for 5 years, lol.

This from yesterday was about $13,000. Crazy.

The card i have for work has a few grand limit. I've had to wait for it to get paid so I can buy fuel.

Attachments

• 20230224_150107.jpg
    20230224_150107.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
I put 40k on my company visa a few days ago, not even a "hey did you buy this" text from the bank. Not anything unusual like an Amazon camera would be though. I'd hope they would flag something like that.

You'd think though, a business wouldn't be ordering that sort of thing from amazon...in fact, why would amazon even sell shit like that?

Preface: This turned into a soapboxy rant before I got done with it. That wasn't my intention when I started telling my Amazon purchasing history at work.

I've got accounts at VWR, Environmental Express, Campbell Scientific, etc. I've got a direct number to my VWR lady, back in the day I'd find what I want in their online catalogs, copy paste the part number into Amazon, and usually buy what I wanted for 1/2 the price of the laboratory supply companies. I used my personal Prime account, but work purchasing card and shipped to work.

That was too easy and worked too well, so Amazon became off limits. There was some bureaucratic taxing rationale for spoiling it. I mean why would we want to save money? I found Zoro and used them for a while.

Then the whole University system got our own Amazon account. It was like a game of telephone ordering something. Send the link of what you want to your section's purchasing manager (secretary), who fills out a form, submits it to the financial services Amazon czar, who (if they approve the purchase) adds it to their queue, and when they reach whatever arbitrary number of approved Amazon orders within whatever arbitrary time frame they deem prudent, they'd get around to placing your order. Just hope you don't need something soon while they're on vacation or sick leave.

As cumbersome as that whole process was, I still gritted my teeth and went through with it. Until about the 3rd time my order showed up and it wasn't what I ordered, it was close to what I ordered, but not what I requested. Someone along the game of telephone found something they thought was just as good but cheaper and ordered it for me instead of what I requested. That killed Amazon for me and 2/3rds of the my side of the organization for a good 3-4 years.

Then I found out another section leader had access to the Amazon account directly. WTF?!?!? No one advertised that, upon request and approval ANYONE could be on the Amazon account. I submitted application and had approval the next day.

There's still an Amazon czar in financial services that has to approve your order, but I can shop Amazon at work again, keep track of my own cart and order history. When I place an order I know receive 2 emails, one notifying me I placed an order and some time later usually less than 2 hours another telling me whether or not it's approved by the czar.

Bureaucracy. :shaking:

Top Back Refresh