What's new

Ohio house bill 6

87manche

kinder and gentler
Member Number
Loc
lake erie
some of you may remember my thread on the old site about this.
The super scary ad tactics they were pushing about how China was going to own our power plants and shit.

well it turns out that first energy was bribing a bunch of prominent lawmakers to make the rate hikes and subsidies happen.
So we repealed some of it, but left a bunch of it in place.

yay corruption right in your face.

It only took a fucking year to remove him from his seat, and still no evidence that we're actually going to bring him to trial.

the governor is trying to not get caught up in this bullshit, by making a donation to the boys and girls club.

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine acted on Thursday to distance himself from a massive bribery scheme after federal officials announced a record fine in the case.

At the same time, DeWine said his campaign would make a donation to the Boys and Girls Club equal to the amount donated to his campaign by a utility company at the center of the bribery scheme.

That company, Akron-based FirstEnergy, copped to the charges on Thursday in exchange for a record $230 million fine, according to the DOJ.

DeWine’s statement is provided in full below.

The scheme in a nutshell: FirstEnergy, an Akron-based utility giant, gave $61 million in bribes to Ohio lobbyists and politicians, including former GOP House Speaker Larry Householder, to pass House Bill 6, the $1.3 billion taxpayer-funded bailout of two nuclear power plants owned by FirstEnergy.

The money was funneled through campaign accounts, 501(c)4s and super PACs.

DeWine, who supported HB6, was never directly implicated in the investigation. He called for HB6 to be repealed when the scandal broke in July 2020. But reporting shows DeWine solicited and benefitted from donations originating from FirstEnergy.

According to the Dayton Daily News, FirstEnergy gave $1 million to groups and campaigns supporting DeWine.

A 501(c)4 called Partners for Progress, backed entirely by $20 million of FirstEnergy money, donated $300,000 to a third-party group supporting DeWine’s campaign, according to the Enquirer.

In 2019, DeWine appointed a FirstEnergy lobbyist, Sam Randazzo, to be chair of the Public Utility Commission of Ohio, the top utility regulator in the state. In doing so, AP reports DeWine ignored warnings from consumer and environmental advocates.

Thursday’s agreement confirms what had been suspected following an FBI raid of Randazzo’s home in 2020, that Randazzo took FirstEnergy bribes totaling $4.3 million shortly before DeWine appointed him to the PUC.

The court filing says FirstEnergy wanted Randazzo in the post so he could further the company’s interests, which he allegedly did by passing legislation favorable to the company.

In November 2019, the PUCO under Randazzo’s leadership terminated the requirement that FirstEnergy’s subsidiaries file a new rate case in 2024, according to the Enquirer.

Deceased lobbyist Neil Clark also makes the unverified claim in a posthumously published book that DeWine took $5 million from FirstEnergy in exchange for HB6 and appointing Randazzo, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

DeWine’s statement:

“As I have consistently said, we understood that Sam Randazzo had worked for manufacturing companies, energy companies, and consumers, and that he had done work for First Energy. Sam Randazzo was a well-known subject-matter expert in energy issues.

“If, as stated in the court documents, Sam Randazzo committed acts to improperly benefit First Energy, his motives were not known by me or my staff.

“In light of today’s admission by First Energy, the campaign will make a monetary donation to the Boys and Girls Clubs in the amount First Energy contributed to the campaign committee.”

Anyone who bought that crock of shit deserves what they got. I remember hearing that commercial and not knowing how you could believe any of it unless you are a potato.

It's completely unsurprising that no heads will roll when the politicians get their hands caught in the cookie jar. I bet you could ask you average citizen and they wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it. Columbus is a cesspool of corruption.

The simplest fix is to end all government micromanagement of the energy industry. Rates should be determined by a free and competitive market.
Ah yes!

Just like ercot

Thats worked out so well for texas this year

As long as they don’t shut down Perry. My cousins makes over $14K a month to walk around with a clipboard.

Ah yes!

Just like ercot

Thats worked out so well for texas this year
Wow. You really don't understand what happened? LOL. Do you believe the heavy reliance on wind power was driven by the free market? No, it is not. It's driven by government subsides. And let's look at the single biggest cause of the outage: separation of the Texas grid from the national grid that was driven by (wait for this) government regulation. In short, government regulation is the ultimate reason behind the Texas outages.

And let's look at the single biggest cause of the outage: separation of the Texas grid from the national grid that was driven by (wait for this) government regulation.
I dunno man, I kinda dig utilities being broken up by state.
But I'm also a fan of states being able to tell the feds to fuck off.

I dunno man, I kinda dig utilities being broken up by state.
But I'm also a fan of states being able to tell the feds to fuck off.
But that still implies some level of government regulation. Government does nothing but drive up costs and decrease efficiency. If the goal is affordable and reliable power then the answer is a free and competitive market. It's that simple.

Wow. You really don't understand what happened? LOL. Do you believe the heavy reliance on wind power was driven by the free market? No, it is not. It's driven by government subsides. And let's look at the single biggest cause of the outage: separation of the Texas grid from the national grid that was driven by (wait for this) government regulation. In short, government regulation is the ultimate reason behind the Texas outages.
So your saying that texas couldnt support its own grid and needed help from other states? That if it were a part of a larger national grid it might have faired better?

"they" won't eat their own else they all burn to the ground
A few have already cut deals in an attempt to save their own skins.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The House Bill 6 corruption scandal already was going to be a campaign issue for Republican Gov. Mike DeWine.

But new details in the deal FirstEnergy Corp. signed with federal prosecutors last week put the scandal an additional step closer to the governor’s office, posing new complications as DeWine heads into what could be a challenging re-election year.

DeWine has faced heat for his closeness with FirstEnergy, which admitted last week to funding a $61 million bribery scheme to pass HB6, a nuclear bailout bill. A close campaign adviser, Josh Rubin, is a former FirstEnergy lobbyist, DeWine’s former Chief of Staff Laurel Dawson is a former business partner of Rubin’s, while Dawson’s husband, Mike Dawson, long has done consulting work for FirstEnergy. And Dan McCarthy, DeWine’s legislative affairs director, is a former FirstEnergy lobbyist, even helping set up a dark-money group that helped funnel money from FirstEnergy to Generation Now, a different dark-money group that was charged in the bribery scheme.

But no one in DeWine’s orbit had been directly and clearly implicated in illegal behavior. Until now.

In its deal with the feds, FirstEnergy said it paid a $4.3 million bribe to former Public Utilities Commission of Ohio Chairman Sam Randazzo weeks before DeWine hired him as the state’s top utilities regulator. Randazzo hasn’t been charged with a crime or identified by name in court filings, but FirstEnergy’s deal this week makes clear the company admitted to bribing Randazzo.

The company’s written deal with the Justice Department says that then-CEO Chuck Jones and another top FirstEnergy executive talked with Randazzo in December 2018, before DeWine had taken office, about Randazzo getting the PUCO job as they also negotiated the $4.3 million payment, structured as a buyout to an existing consulting agreement he had with the company.

“We’re gonna get this handled this year, paid in full, no discount. Don’t forget about us,” Jones said in a text to Randazzo that federal prosecutors included in the written deferred prosecution agreement.

“You guys are welcome anytime and any whereI [sic] can open the door. Let me know how you want me to structure the invoices. Thanks,” Randazzo responded, before adding, “I think I said this last night but just in case – if asked by the administration to go for the Chair spot, I would say yes.”

In late January 2019, Jones grew concerned that Randazzo wouldn’t get hired after details about Randazzo’s past business ties to FirstEnergy emerged, documents show. Elements opposed to Randazzo’s nomination, including American Electric Power, pushed them to the governor’s office.

But Randazzo cleared the screening process and DeWine picked him for the cabinet-level job.

“That bullet grazed the temple,” Michael Dowling, then a top FirstEnergy executive, texted to Jones, who responded: “Forced [State Official 1]/[State Official 2] to perform battlefield triage. It’s a rough game.”

The document doesn’t make completely clear who the state officials are.

After DeWine announced his hire, Randazzo helped develop HB6, and as PUCO chairman took action that helped FirstEnergy avoid a 2024 review of its rates that company executives worried would hurt its revenues, a concept company officials called the “Ohio hole,” according to the court filings.

After the PUCO announced the cancellation of the 2024 rate case in November 2019, Jones texted Randazzo an image of the company’s increased share price, the court filings say.

“Those guys are good but it wouldn’t happen without you. My Mom taught me to say thank you,” Jones said.

In a March 2020 text message exchange included in the court filings, Jones was discussing favorable actions Randazzo had taken for FirstEnergy, saying there was a “lot of talk going on in the halls of PUCO about does he work there or for us? He’ll move it as fast as he can.”

Days before FirstEnergy first disclosed the $4.3 million payment in October 2020, the FBI searched Randazzo’s Columbus home. Asked about the search at the time, DeWine chose to defend Randazzo, going as far as to say there was no indication he was under FBI investigation.

“We’re waiting for additional information, quite candidly. I hired him. I think he’s a good person. If there’s evidence to the contrary, then we’ll act accordingly. But I’m not going to act without facts,” DeWine said during a televised state briefing.

It’s not hard to picture the statement – clipped of course to only include “I think he’s a good person” – appearing in a campaign ad.

Three days later, Randazzo resigned from the PUCO, denying wrongdoing, but saying he didn’t want to be a distraction.

Even without the HB6 scandal, DeWine faces a difficult re-election environment. There’s been Republican backlash nationally toward coronavirus restrictions -- like the kind DeWine ordered last year -- and DeWine has sparred with GOP state lawmakers who have voted to limit his ability to issue future health orders, overriding a DeWine veto.

Last year’s presidential race showed signs that DeWine had fallen out of favor with rank-and-file Republican voters – with DeWine and Lt. Gov. Jon Husted getting booed at multiple campaign events.

So the ingredients are there for a Republican challenger.

And Democrats and Republicans have been on the same page when it comes to attacking DeWine on HB6, calling on him to return any donations from FirstEnergy.

Jim Renacci, a Republican former congressman from Wadsworth, has announced his bid to unseat DeWine. Brad Parscale, a former top campaign aide to ex-President Donald Trump, is advising him. But Renacci lost in 2018 as Republicans’ nominee for the U.S. Senate. He disappointed others in his party by underperforming in a year that otherwise was great for Ohio Republicans. It remains to be seen whether he will fare better in 2022.

Renacci already has tied DeWine repeatedly to the HB6 scandal, calling it “DeWine’s $1.3 billion corruption scheme.” Parscale even retweeted a Thursday post from Columbus state Rep. David Leland, a former chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party.

“This announcement & the information about Sam Randazzo’s appointment as Ohio’s top utility regulator unfortunately places the largest bribery scandal in Ohio history at Mike DeWine’s doorstep,” Leland tweeted. “DeWine needs to come clean to Ohioans about his role in this historic scandal.”

Ohio Democrats meanwhile have struggled in the past to tie Republicans to scandal. In the 2020 election, even after the HB6 probe led to Republican House Speaker Larry Householder’s shocking arrest, national issues still overshadowed any local scandal, and Republicans gained seats in the state legislature.

Democrats also may have been cautious about House Bill 6, given that the bill passed with Democratic votes, and the fact that Democrats helped install Householder as speaker in the first place. Republicans questionably used this dynamic to muddy the waters last year.

But with FirstEnergy admitting it paid a $4.3 million bribe to Randazzo, that creates a direct line to DeWine.

“I think it really shows this latest scandal goes to the highest levels of our state government. It’s necessary for Gov. DeWine to tell the people of Ohio what he knew and when he knew it. I think that’s really what’s demanded from the papers that came out today,” Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democratic candidate for governor, said on Thursday.

DeWine issued a statement on Thursday saying he would donate political contributions he’d received from FirstEnergy to charity, as both Renacci and Whaley had called for him to do.

“As I have consistently said, we understood that Sam Randazzo had worked for manufacturing companies, energy companies, and consumers, and that he had done work for First Energy. Sam Randazzo was a well-known subject-matter expert in energy issues.

“If, as stated in the court documents, Sam Randazzo committed acts to improperly benefit First Energy, his motives were not known by me or my staff,” DeWine said.

DeWine hasn’t directly fielded questions on the latest developments in the House Bill 6 case. But with the scandal’s closer proximity to his office, and the likelihood that the case won’t be resolved before the May 2022 primary election, he’s likely to face plenty.

The governor's campaign staff was involved in setting up the scheme to hide the money.
Hopefully this ends DeWine's politcal career.
I'm not a fan.

character limit.

and I'm not against some level of involvement in utilities, to ensure that companies like columbia gas don't ignore service lines and blow up neighborhoods, but the government deciding winners and losers with subsidies and forcing fees on customers to benefit utilities that can't operate their shit properly is fucked.

That's a tough one. Look at what Enron did when CA deregulated electricity. It cost Gray Davis his job, and CA ended up the Governator. Not exactly a good result.

Jurors in Ohio’s House Bill 6 criminal corruption case have returned guilty verdicts against both former Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and lobbyist and former Ohio Republican Party chair Matt Borges.

Beyond the verdicts, some say the case is notable for what it revealed about the systemic nature of political corruption in Ohio.

“Among the most jarring aspects of this case, besides the sheer scale of dark money funneled to Ohio politicians, was the degree to which corrupt activity was treated by elected officials as the ‘normal way of doing business,’” said Kyle Marcum, policy director for Ohio Citizen Action.

Householder and Borges were charged with violating the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, or RICO, for actions relating to their roles in a $60 million scheme to pass and protect Ohio’s nuclear and coal bailout law, which also gutted the state’s clean energy standards.

Most of the money came from FirstEnergy and its affiliates. And most of the funds flowed through dark money organizations — groups that did not have to report their donors and can generally avoid campaign finance limits if they don’t coordinate activities with a candidate or campaign.

Money in the HB 6 case was “no mere ordinary satchel of cash politicians whip up,” said David Niven, who teaches about Ohio state politics at the University of Cincinnati. Rather, the government alleged there was a criminal enterprise under a statute generally used to go after organized crime.

And while there was a single count under RICO for each defendant, the government’s allegations amounted to a charge that there was “a concerted effort to pervert, in this case, the laws of Ohio,” Niven said.

“If that was ‘business as usual’ in politics, then the business of politics needs to change,” said Vipal Patel, former acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, who is now at Squire Patton Boggs law firm.

For Niven, the case is “a pretty dramatic wakeup call that the normal course of business in Ohio has slipped, way, way, way off the rails.”

“We need to rebuild Ohioans’ trust in our state’s leadership, and we need an end to fossil fuel and utility corruption,” said Nolan Rutschilling, managing director of energy policy for the Ohio Environmental Council.

Judge Timothy Black’s jury instructions ran 72 pages long. Jury deliberations lasted less than a day and a half following a full day of closing arguments on Tuesday and rebuttal on Wednesday.

Some argue the case is important for Ohio and nationally regardless of how the verdict came out.

“It does show that everybody is accountable for their conduct, and that while money is a part of our political system, there is a line that donors and elected officials cannot cross,” said Michael Benza, who heads the Financial Integrity Institute at Case Western Reserve University School of Law,

“This trial laid bare how Ohio’s energy policy has been influenced by utility interests and how urgently Ohio needs comprehensive climate and energy reform,” said Marcum. “After so many years of energy policy that largely favors utilities and fossil fuels, Ohio needs equitable, forward-looking solutions that will protect our air and water, the health of Ohioans, and provide clean energy jobs to keep Ohio competitive in the 21st-century economy.”

Prosecutors faced a challenge in presenting their case, largely because dark money groups that don’t have to report their donors have played such a big role in U.S. politics since the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling and other cases. Even before that, utilities and fossil fuel interests have long been among big spenders in Ohio politics.

“Money is in fact the currency of politics. Power is the currency of politics,” Benza said.

But when money is given with the expectation that someone will use their office to provide a benefit, “that’s when it becomes corruption.”

“There’s a lot of gray area between an outright bribe and campaign contributions meant to elect someone who might be sympathetic to a company and expected to at least listen to the company’s viewpoints on policy issues,” said Ashley Brown, former head of the Harvard Electricity Policy Group.

Evidence in the Householder case supported a finding that there was an explicit quid pro quo, Brown said. FirstEnergy “wanted something very tangible in the form of major legislation.”

As House speaker, the court found Householder made sure that legislation passed. Money from FirstEnergy and its affiliates also funded efforts to prevent voters from getting a chance to repeal HB 6 via a referendum.

“I feel our community owes Assistant United States Attorney and Deputy Criminal Chief Emily Glatfelter and her team of prosecutors and law enforcement agents a debt of gratitude,” Patel said, adding that it’s an understatement to say they went beyond simply “a good day’s work.”
guilty

only took years.

God help us...
I noticed a sign hung an a fence here.
"Choke the woke"
Definitely has credence :confused:

Top Back Refresh