Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

*OFFICIAL* Race pics/ Race Report thread

willis_racing

I Liek Biek
Member Number
Loc
Edgewood, NM
Gots_a_sol Made a thread in the Offroad Racing sub about racing dirt bikes, and I love that thread dearly but it doesn't get a ton of traffic, so I figure maybe here we can have a spot just for us kids. You street bike racers feel free to jump in as well. Candid race shots are some of the best pictures!

Took the 2 stroke to a race at Terrace Reservoir in Monte Vista, CO.
Only managed 13th. Bunch of the guys from Colorado can whip through the trees way faster than my timid ass.
95093417-DSC09973.JPG
95093419-DSC06063.JPG
95093418-DSC_8091.JPG
IMG_8830.JPG
IMG_8925.JPG
IMG_8839.JPG

Didn't do much riding, let alone racing this year. Used to car pool with a group of guys which made it a lot more cost effective to hit races 3-5 hours away. Life has gotten in the way of most of us so no more carpool = minimal racing.

Caught some NEPG rounds and tried a new to me series in WV as those races tended to be a little closer than the VA rounds. Smaller series though and A/B Vet are combined. Ugh, annoying being the slowest guy on the line again.

Probably going to try and get in to the Northeast 24 hour race again this year. They changed the rules for sign up now so only a team captain needs to enter right off the bat, the rest of the team gets signed up the weekend of the event. Should make it easier to get guys to race not having to commit 6 months out.

92686051-DSC_0866-X2.jpg

The next one was in Alcalde, NM. Practice and the team race on saturday were fun, track was pretty loose and dry, but I knew I was out of shape and probably wasn't going to be able to do the full 2 hour main event.
95093420-DSC_8214 (1).JPG

Well that kinda changed when it started raining at 2am on sunday and didn't let up all the way through the C race and through 3 laps of the AB race. :grinpimp: The slower pace and generally milder style of riding required for the mud meant I could sit down a lot more to rest my back and keep focused on being consistent. Though I did go down a couple times and the last one costing me over a minute, I'm still incredibly stoked with the outcome, as I didn't expect it. I'll probably have to stop saying I suck at riding in the mud, it seems like every time I'm forced to I do pretty good after I get into the groove.:smokin:
95093422-DSC01823 (1).JPG
95093421-DSC01784 (1).JPG
received_712854256771271.jpeg

Hangover Hare Scramble today in MD.

I've done this race half a dozen times and it has either been a mud pit (below sea level) or frozen tundra. Seeing as it wasn't cold enough this week to be frozen, figured it would be a mud pit so threw the mud tires on. It actually ended up being mostly hero dirt so literally any tire would have been OK.

Fun fact about the mud rear, is if you do bury it in a mud hole, you REALLY bury it :shaking: A few bad line choices and then getting stuck up past the pegs pretty much ruined my day. Plus I hadn't ridden much at all in months so was definitely rusty. Finished 21st in B Vet.

While contemplating my life choices with the bike buried, a young lady buried her bike on the other side of the same pit. My day was trashed and she wasn't stuck quite as bad as I was so went and dragged her bike out. She ended up winning her class. Like to think my generosity secured the win for her :flipoff2:

IMG_9389-L.jpg

Gotta love the extra plastic in the pic...

What are yall running for "mud tires?

Interesting. Have never even seen a tire like that.

Around here the IRC M5B is THE mud tire. Generally run the VE33 for everything though. As it lasts alot longer and really doesnt give up much on the traction

Interesting. Have never even seen a tire like that.
Sand Hybrid is the common nickname for them I think. I like running this one from Wig when I feel like gaining some drive in the sand at the cost of stability.
Around here the IRC M5B is THE mud tire.
Funny you say that, I was running the M5b during my mudder. 140/80-18. I could not have been happier with that choice, it worked excellently. I do wish they lasted longer though. Once they shed the first knob they start falling apart real fast. Rocks tear them up too.

I don’t think I have any from this year, but here’s a few from last year and a little older. I’m 982. should be NOLA and MSRH

0294B970-9582-40F1-B37F-A0E9C9B7E812.jpeg
4EF92128-CB59-4B0D-A5A2-1BE694CAEC81.jpeg
6F4E94AC-2F4E-41F4-A237-11A2F96753DB.png
I've been wanting to join local track to do the same. Any starter advices?

Funny you say that, I was running the M5b during my mudder. 140/80-18. I could not have been happier with that choice, it worked excellently. I do wish they lasted longer though. Once they shed the first knob they start falling apart real fast. Rocks tear them up too.

Thats why we switched to the ve33. They last alot longer. And wear pretty evenly. Your not going to get them in a 140 though. They call 'em a 110 but they are more like a 120
20230111_064159.jpg

Last edited:
NEPG round 1 in Sumter, SC.

Drove down to SC on Saturday with the woman, kid, and dogs in tow. Only used the toy hauler locally a few times, first long trip with it. Holy hell the fuel bill just made that entirely not worth it other than being on site and not worried about the bike disappearing from the hotel in the middle
of the night.

20230204_175826-L.jpg

I snagged a spot on row 5 so the trail was only moderately beat up. The trails were tight and whooped out. The tight stuff isn't bad but my sand whoop skills are pretty lacking. I can usually muster the speed to jump or skip them if the trail is reasonably wide, but trying to do that while threading trees? Nah, I puss out.

Felt decent through the first 3 tests. Hands were going numb but could shake them out. 2 miles into the 4th test my clutch fingers locked up. Proceeded to spear some trees when I couldnt get my hands to do what I was telling them to do. Ripped off half my left rad shroud and taco'd the front fender. 5th test was basically on autopilot/survival mode just to finish.

Class had 50 entries, finished 35th. A buddy who I fought with back in C class days got me by 2 spots. Fucker.

95428317-DSC_5019-XL.jpg

95430251-DSC_8944-XL.jpg

Found this on my scrollings on youtube and had to check it out. Looks cool as hell man! Like you I would have definitely sucked dodging all the trees that tight. Those top dudes are insane.

Also 900 entries is insanity to me. The little private hare scrambles I attend are rocking and rolling if they hit 200 bikes :laughing:

That course in the video looks badass. I'm no racer but it looks fast to me.

We trim the bars a lil bit. Makes a big difference in the tight stuff. I clipped 3/4" off each end a while back. Took a couple rides to get used to it. But zero complaints

Last edited:
My local desert racing series started back up again, which is the style of riding I'm actually good at.
Or at least I would be if the course wasnt 125 FUCKING MILES of the worst whooped out sand roads Alamogordo, NM had to offer. I was so beaten down at the end I could barely walk. Had to take the day off work on monday.:lmao:
FB_IMG_1677115516665.jpg
FB_IMG_1677004502193.jpg
FB_IMG_1677004396989.jpg
FB_IMG_1677004363593.jpg
FB_IMG_1677003748616.jpg
resulst.PNG

Considering that last year at this race I was in 1st overall by over 2 minutes when my bike broke, I was disappointed in myself to say the least. This race was won on physical conditioning and rider fatigue levels, both of which I am on the struggle bus for currently. Rest of the races should be much more fun though, no more 120 mile BS. Need to get on the pedal bike and lose some damn weight and get back to being a racer not a weekender :laughing:

I did a CMRA practice day on Friday. I really need more practice and maybe get my endurance up. :homer: Overall a good day, but it started wet and even worse, semi wet. Right about lunch the sun came out and we got a nice hot and dry track. :smokin: Here’s a quick video with a practice start and some pics a friend of mine took.

E1DF63CD-172D-4DD8-879C-22B57D9B846F.jpeg
AEA98949-1ED6-4F45-9CE9-0E5F8247A856.jpeg
D7AEEB81-3EB4-46B1-BD50-7F15BFF71CD0.jpeg

NEPG Dragons Back Enduro in VA.

My Beta killed a stator so threw my old Husky back together the day before the event. I hadn't ridden this bike in nearly 5 years.

The day of was beautiful, the day before not so much apparently. I had buddies who camped and said it rained in spurts throughout the day but nothing crazy, trail should be mint. It was not. I was not expecting a mudder and didn't show up with the right mindset for it :laughing: I definitely should have thrown new tires on the bike but this place typically is always hero dirt but not this time. Just grease on top of ice. I was on row 6 so no luck on the sun drying things up or much in the way of lines/ruts developing that early on.

Test 1, 3 turns in back end passes the front on a flat turn. Great start I tell myself. Pick it up and get going just to do the same thing again 2 turns later. Jesus fuck. Picking up this bike is the theme of the day it seems like.
First 3 tests were just survival/trying to get used to this bike again. Test 4 had more log crossings than I'd ever seen in my life it felt like. And none were straight on either. Plus nice and slick from the previous day's rain.
Finally started to get comfy in the 5th/last test for B class. That "trail" was basically arrows through the woods and barely had been run in. Dirt there was mint, no greasy hard pack to be found.

25th of 44 in 30B. 336 of 676 overall.

96313814-ZSC_2171.JPG

Video from a buddy who got 8th in our class. He was on row 102 so the trail had changed quite a bit compared to when I went through.

I've been wanting to join local track to do the same. Any starter advices?
I’m not sure how I missed this, sorry.

The best advice is to find a local track day organization and sign up with them as a beginner. They should be able to get You started. We have a great track day school here in Texas called RideSmart. RideSmart - Texas Track Day Motorcycle School They mix track and classroom teaching you the very basics of being on a track and advancing to body position and other riding techniques. They even mark the track, so you know where the line is and stay on course. There’s also instructors that will follow you and give you pointers. This by far advanced my riding skills on and off track.

You (normally) will need full race gear, but they should rent suits. You’ll need your own helmet gloves and boots, which you should already have. If you are interested in race gear of your own, there’s always stuff for sale on marketplace and the like, usually very cheap. I would avoid anything made by Blit though.

I was at wmrc in Mission BC this weekend to race my 600.

Friday night after the track day we found out we had enough supermoto racers for a points race. I decided I wanted to join in the fun. I had my crf450L dual sport with me So we safety wired what we could put some Silicone on the rest, made a belly pan from a gas can. But i had forgotten my caliper bracket for my 320 mm rotor so i used my smaller dirt rotor. we somehow passed tech Saturday morning.
20230715_071445.jpg

First race Saturday was interesting feeling out the Bridgestone s22 street tires ended up last. best lap of 1.26

Second race was much better with some fork and air pressure changes. Finished 4th out of 5 bikes ahead of a husky 350. Best time of 1.25

First race of Sunday was going great. Got a great start and was First coming out of turn 1. But I out braked myself and went wide into turn 2 and came out last (5th)
I was making sometime and git around the husky 350. Until I went into turn 4 and my bike started shaking when I hit the brakes. I pulled off the track to find this.
20230716_104730.jpg

I got super lucky it only vibrated and didn't lock the tire.

Overall had a great weekend and now I need to buy a husqvarna fs 450 so I can be competitive.
IMG_20230716_074001.jpg

Had a great weekend racing the new bike.

First race was formula 1:18 (open cc no lap time faster than 1:18) was a fun race learning the new bike. Finished 6th but top 3 broke out so I ended up third with a lap time of 1:18.127.

Second race was Middleweight thunder (650 twins, open single) top 2 took off and I rode 10 laps with about 10 seconds in front and back. Kind of a boring race finished 3rd. Best lap time of 1:18.87

3rd race was supermoto. This was the class I was excited for. There was only 5 of us so we gridded elbow to elbow on the start line. I made it it to turn 1 first and was able to hold the other husky of for 8 laps. We battled every corner for the next to laps but he got me at the line by .04 seconds. By far the best race of my life.
IMG_20230813_002304.jpg

20230812_161959.jpg

IMG_20230813_002258.jpg

IMG_20230813_002252.jpg

Now if he could keep up this speed...and keep it upright...he'd be an easy first place.

Story of racing right there I guess:laughing:.

Really been debating buying him one of the ktm 50s, lighter, better suspension, but with the ttr, he uses his gears. Starts in first, bangs second, knows to kick it down one on a hill....I don't want him to lose that skill, for the next bike.

Top Back Refresh