What's new

Official IRATE Tire & Wheel Thread

HYDRODYNAMIC

Rock Stacker
Member Number
Loc
Lost in the forest
Now that IRATE has a tire and wheel thread, hopefully all the noob tire & wheel questions will end up here. Ill go first.

What 39"- 42" tires on 17" wheels will crawl, flex, grab, in the dry rocks AND work in the cold wet snow. It sounds like all the sticky tires are only for warm weather and either crack or turn into rocks when it gets cold.
BFG lists 50* operating temp and above 32* storage temp. I am waiting on some feedback if the BFG KR3 desert compound is closer to a sticky and suffers the same issues or it can handle the cold. Otherwise a DOT 39" KM3 is the only tire BFG has that will work for both as far as I know.
The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 40" x 13.5" on 17" are available in sticky and non sticky compound. No info on what operating temps the stickies work in. The Baja Pro is available in both compounds but sounds to be too aggressive in the rocks and is more of a bouncer tire for loose dirt and mud.
I've heard people hate the Patagucci's which goes against what all the sponsored guys and overlander product reviews are saying.
Treps? Interco?
Or should I run an old set of dry rotted Thornbirds on re-centered hummer wheels with rebar rock rings?

There isn't 1 tire that's going to do all the things you want without compromises.

Stickies for rocks and whatever the flavor of the month snow tire is, sounds like what your looking for.

Have you tried the Cooper STT Pros on anything yet? They do well in rocks for a non sticky tire wet or dry. Can't say anything about their snow capabilities though, I live in Texas.

There isn't 1 tire that's going to do all the things you want without compromises.

Stickies for rocks and whatever the flavor of the month snow tire is, sounds like what your looking for.

Have you tried the Cooper STT Pros on anything yet? They do well in rocks for a non sticky tire wet or dry. Can't say anything about their snow capabilities though, I live in Texas.

From my understanding the Cooper STT Pros and the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss are nearly identical.
I dont want two sets of tires and I want to be able to run year round at the expense of rock traction.

I just looked up the Baja Boss. Its definitely similar to the Coopers, although the MT looks to have the tread blocks alot closer together. Bonus to using the Coopers is that they are readily available and fairly cheap. I ordered the last set of 40x13.50x17 STT Pros from Walmart.com and I think they were $316 each with free shipping.

Does anyone even make a sticky rated to use in cold weather?

Might be worth looking at the Black Label Milestar Patagonias. They come in a 40x13.5R17. I thought I remember reading they end up in between a sticky and a DOT compound. (not my photo, local guy who ran them)

photo2426.jpg

Have been running the Gladiator x comp mt for the last 2 years. Not really impressed with them in any terrain. Not bad, but not great. Looking for new tires now as mine are done after around 30000 miles.

I have the 40x13.5r17 baja boss. Non sticky

B1978-DC7-E80-C-4299-9250-C26-D693-B4-AB8.png

C8163-FD0-D9-D1-4-A14-A52-B-C44336167-E2-A.png

9-C441-A1-D-2-C6-A-4-C79-B615-7-CD57-F3-D21-B3.png

44-A97-FE6-71-F3-432-A-9-BEA-73-AAE0-CF0-FF6.png

Multiple leaks on this tire from the cracks.
868-B7-AE4-6528-4-B4-C-8367-4-DDDCFAAC874.jpg

Called Mickey Thompson. They said even 10 psi is way too low to run these tires even off-road(10psi in snow is bullshit). They also said these cracks are from the cold and low pressure. Draw your own conclusions

I have the 40x13.5r17 baja boss. Non sticky

B1978-DC7-E80-C-4299-9250-C26-D693-B4-AB8.png

C8163-FD0-D9-D1-4-A14-A52-B-C44336167-E2-A.png

9-C441-A1-D-2-C6-A-4-C79-B615-7-CD57-F3-D21-B3.png

44-A97-FE6-71-F3-432-A-9-BEA-73-AAE0-CF0-FF6.png

Multiple leaks on this tire from the cracks.
868-B7-AE4-6528-4-B4-C-8367-4-DDDCFAAC874.jpg

Called Mickey Thompson. They said even 10 psi is way too low to run these tires even off-road(10psi in snow is bullshit). They also said these cracks are from the cold and low pressure. Draw your own conclusions

That sucks, MT Baja Boss was one of the top picks. It’s clear they can’t handle the cold seasons. Thanks for the info.

Have been running the Gladiator x comp mt for the last 2 years. Not really impressed with them in any terrain. Not bad, but not great. Looking for new tires now as mine are done after around 30000 miles.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Gladiator unless anything else comes up as being a good all season tire

i have 42" sticky treps and drive them all terrain all weather. no issues in cold

I think the 41.5 pit bulls fit your bill.

I had them for a short time(they were just too big for my rig) , 3 snow trips, they are a great snow tire and rock tire right out of the box. I also have a few buddies who run them and really them.

They're true height, much taller than a 42 irok. Great width imo. They're also pretty tough from watching my buddy wheel his 7k+ lb JK with them. They even drive really well on the highway fwiw.

I have a baby set of the milestar Patagonia tires and like them as well. I'd really like to see how a set of 40s do. I think the black labels are a "semi sticky" and might be ok in the snow.

I had kr2 stickies also, great rock tire, but basically the same as my old red label crawlers in the snow. Terrible. DO NOT run the desert kr2(or kr3's assuming they're the same rubber) they are rock hard.

I can't help you on the snow front, but since black label Patagonias have been mentioned a few times, I figured I'd give my 2¢.

A buddy of mine ran them on his 1 ton Cherokee, then later on his buggy he parted out the Cherokee to build. He said he liked the traction better than than the 42" bias Pitbulls he was running before (he got those used, so not sure how old/dry rotted they may have been). He wheels mostly Farmington-style sandstone for reference. The tires only lasted 1 year, including the time it took him to build his buggy, before he shredded an inner sidewall climbing a smooth slab wall :shaking:

The sidewall is paper thin, like almost as thin as the sidewall of the Continentals on my DD Focus :eek: I can only imagine how quickly they would have died if he wheeled more in the southern NM rocks... He now runs K-spec Nittos and seems happy so far.

I think the 41.5 pit bulls fit your bill.

I had them for a short time(they were just too big for my rig) , 3 snow trips, they are a great snow tire and rock tire right out of the box. I also have a few buddies who run them and really them.

They're true height, much taller than a 42 irok. Great width imo. They're also pretty tough from watching my buddy wheel his 7k+ lb JK with them. They even drive really well on the highway fwiw.

I have a baby set of the milestar Patagonia tires and like them as well. I'd really like to see how a set of 40s do. I think the black labels are a "semi sticky" and might be ok in the snow.

I had kr2 stickies also, great rock tire, but basically the same as my old red label crawlers in the snow. Terrible. DO NOT run the desert kr2(or kr3's assuming they're the same rubber) they are rock hard.

Looks like the only BFG left is the KM3 in 39”

I can't help you on the snow front, but since black label Patagonias have been mentioned a few times, I figured I'd give my 2¢.

A buddy of mine ran them on his 1 ton Cherokee, then later on his buggy he parted out the Cherokee to build. He said he liked the traction better than than the 42" bias Pitbulls he was running before (he got those used, so not sure how old/dry rotted they may have been). He wheels mostly Farmington-style sandstone for reference. The tires only lasted 1 year, including the time it took him to build his buggy, before he shredded an inner sidewall climbing a smooth slab wall :shaking:

The sidewall is paper thin, like almost as thin as the sidewall of the Continentals on my DD Focus :eek: I can only imagine how quickly they would have died if he wheeled more in the southern NM rocks... He now runs K-spec Nittos and seems happy so far.

Your feedback is another confirmation that Patagonia’s are not as great of a tire as the sponsored people are reporting. They are out for me.

If you go with Pitbulls, make sure you're prepared to wait for months to get them, pay way too much money for them, and be highly dissapointed with the performance.
I followed a story on Instagram of how bad Pitbull is to deal with. That does not mean that they have a bad product, but I don’t want to be stuck with bad customer service or not be able to get a spare in the future.

I followed a story on Instagram of how bad Pitbull is to deal with. That does not mean that they have a bad product, but I don’t want to be stuck with bad customer service or not be able to get a spare in the future.

I know a few people who run 42" PBR's, and they all hate them. Traction sucks, and I have had one guy get two sidewall holes on minor rock obstacles. Given that they can't hold up to some wheelin, and seem to destroy sidewalls easily, and SUCK on traction (at least according to the people I know that run them). I'll skip em.

A buddy of mine ran them on his 1 ton Cherokee, then later on his buggy he parted out the Cherokee to build. He said he liked the traction better than than the 42" bias Pitbulls he was running before (he got those used, so not sure how old/dry rotted they may have been). He wheels mostly Farmington-style sandstone for reference. The tires only lasted 1 year, including the time it took him to build his buggy, before he shredded an inner sidewall climbing a smooth slab wall

The sidewall is paper thin, like almost as thin as the sidewall of the Continentals on my DD Focus I can only imagine how quickly they would have died if he wheeled more in the southern NM rocks... He now runs K-spec Nittos and seems happy so far.

Disappointing, I had even heard good things about the sidewalls. Like mentioned, every new tire is always super hyped by the sponsored guys "I could run any tire, but I run these because xxxxx" :rolleyes:

Remember how bad ass the mtr Kevlars were when they were all over koh? Then when guys who actually spent the ~$2k get them on the trail, they turn out to be weak as hell.

Looks like the only BFG left is the KM3 in 39”

Which from what I've read is more like 38" tall.

As far as the pit bulls, the 41.5 is a good tire, despite what anyone says. I just saw the big thread on them and I can't say I'd be jumping to spend $2400 with them either.

I had the 40" procomps that I got on the buy 3 get 1 free sale. I have heard almost all good things about them, and was excited to run them, but never got to opportunity.

Or guys like the nitto's if you want a tougher (heavier) tire.

I’ve got 40” Sticky Treps - far as I’m concerned there is no condition they do not handle well... great in cold weather and snow as well - have certainly wheeled in the northeast in 20 degree weather and had no complaints... in legit snow they throw snowballs like crazy, so don’t follow to close. Mud, rocks, muddy rocks no problem

Since this is the tire and wheel thread, I'll ask the typical beadlock wheel question. Besides Hutchinson, any other beadlock wheel out there that is DOT legal? I would go with Hutchinson, but they do not offer a 17" x 9" with less than 4" of backspacing. I'm looking for a wheel with 3.5" to 4" back spacing. I've narrowed my search down to either Method, Ultra or SpyderLock unless someone has a better choice for me to look at.

Has anyone ever heard of ANYONE actually getting hassled for beadlocks?

No. I live in the mid-west where rockcrawlers are rare and i had a cop tell me nice wheels and drove off (trail ready beadlocks with the huge rings) and discount tire balanced and then bolted my pro comp vapor beadlocks back on and they have "NOT FOR ON ROAD USE" engraved on every surface and didn't saw a word. I'm guessing if you have pissed off a cop bad enough to where they are citing you for DOT violations and tube welded everywhere on the truck, the beadlocks would just be icing on the cake and not the start of the violations.

I loved my trail readys and now my pro comp vapors, I drive multiple hours on the highway to get to the trails and they both worked great, no complaints.

Here I am running 42" Pitbull Rockers BIAS..🖕🤣

Did you cut them at all?

I used to run 39.5" PBRs and although they weren't the worst I got rid of them for 43" sticky SXs. At one time, I heard that 42" and above Pitbulls were decent IF you cut the Texas lug out of them. Now depending which camp you're in, some folks don't mind to pay $2500 and then break out the iron to modify them to suit their needs.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of ANYONE actually getting hassled for beadlocks?

I think it’s more of a liability issue after an accident if you’re being sued and the investigator is looking for it. Otherwise there are too many fake beadlocks to tell the difference these days.

I think it’s more of a liability issue after an accident if you’re being sued and the investigator is looking for it. Otherwise there are too many fake beadlocks to tell the difference these days.

At that point, any modification could be used against you.

I believe that if you dig deep enough, pretty much anything you put on your street driven rig should be DOT approved.

Top Back Refresh