What's new

Odessa/Midland Tx

I've worked in worse places.
They broke into my truck but must of got scared off and didn't get anything.
I like the messican food there.

Better than hanging out on the North Sea.

This is one place that keeps our energy cost lower than other places so we need Odessa/ Midland
Working there and moving my family there to live are 2 different things.

Pay me enough, and I'll work in Detroit. Maybe do a year+, come home every other weekend, etc. But I'm not buying/ renting a house there and bringing the wife and kids.

i kind of like the town, best streets of anywhere i have ever been. they used to host the big paper and iron match i went to a few times.

When I moved in 1980 housing was so hard to come by one of the guys I worked with rented half a garage, he was only allowed in the house at a certain time to use the rest room and shower, the rest of the time the door was looked. Another guy slept out in the parking lot at work in a company car, used the shower and bathroomin the locker room.
I rented a 1950s travel trailer that was sitting on the ground, it had an open faced gas burner heater, sheet metal shower, and hot and cold running cockroaches! I was working nights and only there for less than 12 hours a day. The swamp cooler was always burning up motors because it was plugged into the the 1950s wiring. I finally bought a 12 guage extension cord and plugged it into the main power coming off the pole, because I was tired of waking up in the afternoon in a pool of sweat. Fridge, stove and water heater worked, so I was better off than the guy sleeping in the garage.

Midland/Odessa is a SHITHOLE, do not move there unless you like the mad max on meth vibe it has. Place smells gear oilish 24/7, nothing grows there and when the wind blows its a giant dust bowl. When oil/gas is up there are entirely to many people in those city's for the infrastructure to handle it and theft is a big problem there. Midland is the only place I've ever had something stolen out of my service truck. Some cock sucker took my suitcase out of the bed of the truck while I was in TLR Hydraulics getting some fittings I needed to fix a drill rig. I told the owner of my company that if I saw anyone carrying my suitcase down the street or wearing my cloth while I was still there that I was going to drive over curbs to run their thieving asses over. I was not a happy camper when that happened...... :mad3:

Did I mention that it's a shithole? :laughing:

Pay me enough, and I'll work in Detroit. Maybe do a year+, come home every other weekend, etc. But I'm not buying/ renting a house there and bringing the wife and kids.
And this.

Place is a straight up armpit.

You can make good money there, but you don’t want to live there

You want your kids to play outside,?, it’s like an oven, a smelly oven …. With rattlesnakes…. And meth.

A stinky, hot, oven, with methed out rattlesnake’s

Last edited:
My buddy is down there right now. He is waiting to be assigned to a rig after having been through the hiring process, orientation, etc. I can't remember the name of the company, but it is supposed to be one of the big players in the O&G industry.

Two weeks ago, he was like #150 on the waiting list for being assinged to a rig. Apparently the attrition rate is like 25-30 per week, so he should be assigned to a rig in the next few weeks. I'm very curious to see how long he makes it. He's 44 years old and weighs about 280 lbs. I hope he does well, but no big deal to him either way. He's been living the RV life for a few years and just wants to try it out for a while to bank some travelling money.

My buddy is down there right now. He is waiting to be assigned to a rig after having been through the hiring process, orientation, etc. I can't remember the name of the company, but it is supposed to be one of the big players in the O&G industry.

Two weeks ago, he was like #150 on the waiting list for being assinged to a rig. Apparently the attrition rate is like 25-30 per week, so he should be assigned to a rig in the next few weeks. I'm very curious to see how long he makes it. He's 44 years old and weighs about 280 lbs. I hope he does well, but no big deal to him either way. He's been living the RV life for a few years and just wants to try it out for a while to bank some travelling money.

From what Ive heard oil field work isnt the run your ass into the ground type for 12hrs a day type of work it used to be. Its still hard, but now they all take breaks and get treated all snowflake like trying to keep employees.

If he's used to physical labor jobs, he'll be alright.

The dude will need one of these plates on his brand new $150k F450 CC DRW lifted truck with tires that stick out the sides 8".

1672585974569.png

If I was a young 20 something moving to Odessa for 100K a year might look better than Nashville for 50K a year.
How fast do you want your first million and do you want to retire earlier than 65.

I don’t know the schools but I imagine you better speak Spanish to fit in.
They do have some of the best football teams in Texas.

I’ve worked in Beaumont and Odessa.
The Oysters in Beaumont are tops the Enchiladas in Odessa are tops.
Both are hot, one in humidity the other in dry.
No hurricane damage on Odessa.

I understand moving your family there would be a major life change and most wouldn’t.
I will tell you that the average male that goes there, works his ass off, and is a little smarter than the rest can make bank and move to somewhere else when the success pays off.
The American dream right there in the shithole Odessa/Midland.

If I was a young 20 something moving to Odessa for 100K a year might look better than Nashville for 50K a year.
How fast do you want your first million and do you want to retire earlier than 65.

I don’t know the schools but I imagine you better speak Spanish to fit in.
They do have some of the best football teams in Texas.

I’ve worked in Beaumont and Odessa.
The Oysters in Beaumont are tops the Enchiladas in Odessa are tops.
Both are hot, one in humidity the other in dry.
No hurricane damage on Odessa.

I understand moving your family there would be a major life change and most wouldn’t.
I will tell you that the average male that goes there, works his ass off, and is a little smarter than the rest can make bank and move to somewhere else when the success pays off.
The American dream right there in the shithole Odessa/Midland.

10-15yrs ago, you'd be spot on. Maybe even 5yrs ago. Now, too many fuckheads trying to do just that.

10-15yrs ago, you'd be spot on. Maybe even 5yrs ago. Now, too many fuckheads trying to do just that.

You are not wrong at all. I have 2 friends that both work for H&P as drill hands. They both said that the best and quickest way to make real money in the oil/gas game anymore is to be one of the guys on the platform. They said "rig support" jobs and equipment operator/trucking jobs have gone to shit because like you said, everybody and their brother goes out there looking for jobs.

Top Back Refresh