What's new

Odd tire wear

rockmup

El Hefe
Member Number
Loc
Greenwell Springs LA.
2019 Tundra, 2.0 Kings on 37" Patagonias.
In the last 500 miles I noticed this odd to me tire wear that I've never seen before. Truck drives, tracks and brakes perfect.

The dark areas are the weird wear, Ideas ? The blocks are actually tapered and almost half the hight compared to the grey side (forward edge)

Attachments

• IMG_6728.jpg
    IMG_6728.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
What tire pressure are you running? Have you run a chalk mark across the tread to see if it's under/over inflated? If you are sure ball joints and shocks are in good shape, did you have an alignment done after the modifications?

I would call that cupping. And I think it’s just a tundra thing. I have 5100s on the highest setting and I chewed up my 35’s till I got a “proper” alignment. But it’s still not right. I don’t have adjustable UCA’s so I just had them kick out the LCA’s with that eccentric cam bolt. Also, FWIW, my alignment guy said those adjustable uppers with the uniball suck. I know you needed them because of your height, but he said the uniball is not nearly as strong as a conventional BJ.

I would call that cupping. And I think it’s just a tundra thing. I have 5100s on the highest setting and I chewed up my 35’s till I got a “proper” alignment. But it’s still not right. I don’t have adjustable UCA’s so I just had them kick out the LCA’s with that eccentric cam bolt. Also, FWIW, my alignment guy said those adjustable uppers with the uniball suck. I know you needed them because of your height, but he said the uniball is not nearly as strong as a conventional BJ.
based on ???

What tire pressure are you running? Have you run a chalk mark across the tread to see if it's under/over inflated? If you are sure ball joints and shocks are in good shape, did you have an alignment done after the modifications?

I don't recall the pressure but this is after 19K miles and yes they have been running flat, I'm anal about that kinda thing, I'm always checking. I've had two alignments in that time. Both fronts look like this

Just got them balanced before this trip. I'll take it back and get them balanced with another alignment done next week.

Unibals vs BJ ? Not true in my experience

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but my buddy in the tire business has notices that many of the 'inexpensive' brands of aggressive tire, and some of the cheaper models of the expensive brands, seem to have really hard-wearing rubber on the surface and start to have accelerated wear issues once 1/3 to 1/2 worn out. It apparently isn't across the tread wear but choppy wear similar to what you are showing. Run it long enough and you will notice a vibration issue if this is the case. He has slowed it down with a rebalance, but never stopped it. He's not even sure if rebalancing is helping as he usually rotates them at the same time. Perhaps it has something to do with their vulcanization process. Food for thought.

I’ve had that happen on multiple different tires on 3 different tundras. Some tires are worse than others. The alignment has to be perfect. Not to spec, not within the green numbers, that is not good enough. The easiest way to see it is stand back and see if your tires are straight up and down or perpendicular to the ground. This will also change depending upon loading of passengers and gear. Get the camber close first. Then you move onto the toe. Depending upon wear on the inside or outside you adjust until you reach the balance point. Find a shop that knows Tundras and drive however many miles it takes to get it done right or learn to do it yourself. I got it close at the shop then fine tuned it over time monitoring tire wear.

Top Back Refresh