What's new

Not a build thread (Cause a SAS isn't a build)

Stingray

Toyota Junkie
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
So. Cal.
Ok,I bought an original owner 3rd gen, drove it a year stock, and got made fun of for buying a truck with "a million miles on it" (275K) I put 10K on it in a year. Then I tore into it, standard stuff nothing earth shattering.

photo2295.jpg

photo2297.jpg

Most of it was off the shelf stuff more or less, between second Gen Taco stuff, and third Gen 4runner parts. I got caught up on the radiator. I'm sure there is an easy fix, but I didn't find it.
the front bracket got in the way, so the smallest manual trans 4 cyl radiator sat above the frame. bought an aluminum shroud and the largest SPAL fan I could shove in there.
wel that didn't work, I couldn't cool it and blew a head gasket

Fan Shroud.jpg

Fanshroud.jpg

motor.jpg
harness.jpg

Did a motor, then the trans started acting up.
replaced solenoids, no luck, drove fine as long as you pulled it into first from a start. drove it almost 4 months with a check engine and manually starting in first until I found the probe going into the trans missing for the solenoid.
$18 Toyota harness, and it's back in business.

Last edited:
I dig your "build"...Looking to do something similar in the next couple years. I just did a 3" suspension lift and 1" body. Its a daily driver right now so i didn't want to get to crazy. Were headed to JV for Hammers this year so i already know i'll be coming back with the itch to build mine up. Did you run an IFS toyota steering box?

I dig your "build"...Looking to do something similar in the next couple years. I just did a 3" suspension lift and 1" body. Its a daily driver right now so i didn't want to get to crazy. Were headed to JV for Hammers this year so i already know i'll be coming back with the itch to build mine up. Did you run an IFS toyota steering box?

I'll dig thru my crap and see what I can hunt down for pics. I know there are 100 ways to build one of these, I just happened to have the running gear out of a first gen, so that's what i went with.

Ya, IFS drilled and tapped for Hydro assist

steering box smaller.jpg

My wife loved driving it in stock trim, But I bought it for a reason,

So I went to storage and dug out some shit.
put it on jack stands and blindly started cutting stuff off.

20170225_155014.jpg

20170225_155226.jpg
20170225_123026.jpg

I started on the front Thinking it would be the tough end, then stopped and moved to the oil pan, and trans, working on the crossmember and dual Cases.

moved to the trans,

20160223_140655.jpg

It had the wrong adapter on it, for a manual trans. so had to swap that, and figure crossmember mounts

20170301_125740.jpg

Old one out, see in the side of the picture the new solid axle in waiting??

20170430_185639.jpg

New one going in.

Crossmember,
20170501_121853.jpg

Tacked in

20170503_194108.jpg

No welding jokes

20170509_123533.jpg

And the BS welding cart and new welder.

20170511_153800.jpg

Not starting a new thread on it, but just had the carcass of the 1995 Nissan S14 240SX sold, and hauled away today, Guy came from Bakersfield to haul this away.

$400..I wouldn't say profit, but beats having to haul it to salvage.
20210518_104418.jpg
20210518_104352.jpg

I miss my 3rd Gen. I sold it because I didn't want to chop it up into a wheeler, but in retrospect I should have done exactly that.

Remind me what axles...

I keep thinking about doing my 3rd gen...

Because I don’t use the xcab.

but that seems dumb

It probably would have been done faster than your Taco...

You and I both know damn well that it would have, because I would have done shit right the first time instead of redoing a bunch of old haggard work. 😮‍💨

Oh well.

Remind me what axles...

I keep thinking about doing my 3rd gen...

Because I don’t use the xcab.

but that seems dumb
Shit, Didn't see this.
Rock assault High pinion elocker, 6 guns, trunion eliminators, old bobby longs, doweled hubs, standard TG ram assist 1650 psi pump, and heims to steer
EDIT
and some wheel spacers , cause it wouldn't be a Toyota without them:lmao::flipoff2:

Ok, it's been awhile but I just did my rear bumps. I centered them over the ubolt plates, and the springs seemed to have sagged so they are 3" travel, and it looks like that's all I have right now.

20211031_164458.jpg
20211031_164453.jpg

ok, Time for tires, The 15" MTR's are getting worn, Probably still life in them for a trail rig, But I'm moving to a set of TG 17x9 Creeper locks, So I'm shopping new tires.

I want to try the Milestar Patagonias, But right now it looks like they are on backorder everywhere.

So what's the next option guys?

Mainly highway, But I do hit Big Bear in the winter and the rocks in Parker. What's a decent tire?

I like my pro comp MT2s. They are a real offroad tire unlike those patagonia YouTube terrains!:flipoff2:

No trailer I have to drive my truck everywhere and these work great both on and offroad.

I like my pro comp MT2s. They are a real offroad tire unlike those patagonia YouTube terrains!:flipoff2:

No trailer I have to drive my truck everywhere and these work great both on and offroad.
I ran Pro Comp AT's for years, then had a bad set And went away from them.

How many miles have you got on them, and how do they survive abuse. Sidewall damage, And tread chunking? most of my stuff is dry and rocky desert. with occasional snow.
and this truck is a driver, no trailer ever.

I ran Pro Comp AT's for years, then had a bad set And went away from them.

How many miles have you got on them, and how do they survive abuse. Sidewall damage, And tread chunking? most of my stuff is dry and rocky desert. with occasional snow.
and this truck is a driver, no trailer ever.
Probably 10k on them. I have a few gashes on them, still holding air. Usually run them at 2psi on rocky, muddy, tree root laden east coast trails. Some minor tread chunking but that's mainly from having to floor it up shit sometimes out here. They work real nice, I dig them! No vibes up to 80 on these on beadlocks, balanced of course.

Never would have considered pro comp tires before these, but I would get another set!

Ok, beadlocks showed up today, now to mount them up.
What recommendations for valve stems, steel or rubber.
20211230_160838.jpg

20211230_161827.jpg

Attachments

• 20211230_160400.jpg
    20211230_160400.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
Good choice on tires! I really like mine!!
They weren't on the list until you and another buddy recommended them, First impressions are good, they mounted up good, I didn't balance them and was able to run them up to 80 mph without any vibration. Hope to get a snow run in next week.

Oh and I'll have to post up a set of 5 37x12.5x15's on black steelies that are pretty well worn. But might work well on a trail rig.:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh