What's new

Not a build thread (Cause a SAS isn't a build)

Interested to see how they handle the snow, that's the only terrain/road condition that I haven't driven on them.

Oh and I'll have to post up a set of 5 37x12.5x15's on black steelies that are pretty well worn. But might work well on a trail rig.:flipoff2:
I might be interested in your old tires for mock up, likely to go 35s but I really want 37s. On the road, how do the 37 on 17s feel compared to the 37s on 15s? I want to use my stock15” wheels and I’ve been debating 35 or 37s.

Where you located?

I might be interested in your old tires for mock up, likely to go 35s but I really want 37s. On the road, how do the 37 on 17s feel compared to the 37s on 15s? I want to use my stock15” wheels and I’ve been debating 35 or 37s.

Where you located?
Hard to tell, probably only 50 miles on them, the 15's are 10 wide, the 17's are 9 wide, the wheels are narrower so the tires stand up more, the new tires and wheels weigh more, so the first thing I noticed is braking is less, so looking for IFS hubs and rotor/ caliper upgrade.
the 17's are firmer, but probably because they are new, I haven't aired them down and beat on the sidewalls at all.

Located in So Cal.

Not looking to separate just yet, and no idea on value yet or honest tread left. 5 wheels and tires.

Hard to tell, probably only 50 miles on them, the 15's are 10 wide, the 17's are 9 wide, the wheels are narrower so the tires stand up more, the new tires and wheels weigh more, so the first thing I noticed is braking is less, so looking for IFS hubs and rotor/ caliper upgrade.
the 17's are firmer, but probably because they are new, I haven't aired them down and beat on the sidewalls at all.

Located in So Cal.

Not looking to separate just yet, and no idea on value yet or honest tread left. 5 wheels and tires.
I still may be interested when your ready. There aren’t a lot of used 37x15s out there. If you don’t mind PM me when you have a price. I’m in so-cal, Temecula.

20220218_142513.jpg
20220218_135839.jpg

Rear brake job, 88 Monte Carlo Front Calipers.
Actually it's a wide range, they were the same for 20 years or so.

Also running a Wilwood proportioning valve on the rear, choked down to about 30% rear brakes.

I STILL need to sort out my driveline EBrake

Front will be tomorrow, dinner and drinks tonight.

Cool AF 4Runner.
Used to live in Belmont Shore.
Miss the Winter in shorts and flip flops 🍻
Thanks, It's a work in progress, I still have a huge list to complete, and I am helping my son with his FJ these days.
My sister lives in running springs so when we can we sneak up there, We haven't been able to get a good snow run in this year

I still may be interested when your ready. There aren’t a lot of used 37x15s out there. If you don’t mind PM me when you have a price. I’m in so-cal, Temecula.
I'll try this weekend to give you date codes, Tru tread left, and a decent price for everyone. :smokin:

Sadly the reason I went to 17's was tire availability, and Beadlocks.

Ok, for starters it was brakes, fronts and rears damn near to the warning track.
I listed the rears, fronts are 1997 4runner vented rotors, so even though it's got a 80s straight axle, brakes are for the right year
20220218_152000.jpg
20220218_151955.jpg

Next was working on the OBA deal.
I've had a Puma compressor built as a portable unit I've carried since 2009, so now I decided I'm intigrating into this truck.

I'm going to try and run it without the tank. No ARB'S And no reason for a tank that I can see.

20220217_102030.jpg

Some of the parts, manifold, pressure switch,

20220219_112813.jpg
20220219_112758.jpg

Mounted the air chuck, tucked away nice.
20220219_155215.jpg

Compressor mounted

20220219_155225.jpg

Used a water tight electrical fitting and a threaded bulkhead for air.

i use them continuous duty relay s aklso, legit easy solution.
This one is on its way to be the control for the compressor, used the same one on my tow rig compressor and its survived years. simple/Cheap/ easy to wire and replace if needed.

All wired, and good to go, I did a quick test run, and it works

Went wheeling last weekend, (I know it's not allowed here but I'm a rebel):flipoff2::flipoff2:

20220421_144932.jpg
20220421_103544.jpg
20220421_103532.jpg

Bought a Radesigns rail shifter and TC controller, built the harness today, looking online tonight, and probably will be cutting and installing tomorrow

Ok need a little help finding a switch, it controls the elocker, don't know how to describe it. But seems like 12v in, and it switches from one pole to the other. And has a 5th pole that I'm not sure what it does.

20220422_142156.jpg
20220422_142208.jpg

Elocker harness is a homemade deal, with two relays involved.

ok, got the wiring done, and somewhere made a mistake, nothing works. Can't tell what gear its in, and even pulling the stock shifter into low it's in second or third.
and the TC switch is wired backwards.

tomorrow will be chasing down my troubles.

Most of today was spent isolating all the accessory wiring, and putting it all back to stock. Then tracing and tagging all extra control wiring via the supplied wiring diagram:homer:.

I'm just going to say it's all right now. I had a long drawn out explanation that no one gives a shit about unless your running one of these.

The instructions say it will throw a check engine code when switched to manual mode, And it did.

Your basically isolating the shift solenoids from the ECU and controlling them manually, As soon as you do that the ECU looses communication and throws a fault code.

But I've found a possible work around tricking the ECU into thinking the solenoids are still in play with some resistors. Not my fix, The internet helped.

20220426_213912.jpg

20220426_213920.jpg

20220426_213930.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever get ECU to think Solenoids were on? I am looking into getting the same kit for my Taco.

Did you ever get ECU to think Solenoids were on? I am looking into getting the same kit for my Taco.
Are you asking about the check engine light when you use the switches?
No I never followed up on it, I just reset the ECU when I'm done.
It takes a week or more of driving to get all the sensors to be in a ready state for smog.

Are you asking about the check engine light when you use the switches?
No I never followed up on it, I just reset the ECU when I'm done.
It takes a week or more of driving to get all the sensors to be in a ready state for smog.
Good to know, thanks for the info!

20230121_141730.jpg
20230121_141624.jpg
20230121_122921.jpg
20230121_111155.jpg

Went to Running Springs today, my son his buddy with a taco,, and my truck.
We got a little snow, some ice, and we played around at Holcomb creek. I had a fairly easy time of it, dual cases and beadlocks down around 5psi, a crawl ratio around 300 slows everything down.

I know the pictures don't look like much, but the LC low range is not great, and she's heavy.

I will say I'm getting better spotting, and he's getting better listening.

Over all it was a great day out, oh ya, and the wife enjoyed a day out also.

I'm at 5 psi. my son is at 15. I think he could go lower, even without beadlocks

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh