Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

North East Area

NorthEast Chit Chat

There's plenty for that there IMHO. Pretty much all the blue trails should be a blast. Blacks might be a challenge for sure though.

That place is on the side of the mountain. For the most part the rocks are up top and the mud is down low although there's a few exceptions. Far side across the road is a bit more spread out scenic kinda area, although I don't spend much time over there.

If I can get lower transfer case gears in before heading over I’d like to drive it or drag it through some rock sections. :laughing:

I just a YouTube with a rather stockish looking 5th gen 4Runner on a black trail. Barney Rubble trail?

Trying to figure all this out. Their website lacks details.

Are SXS’s allowed on full size trails?

If I can get lower transfer case gears in before heading over I’d like to drive it or drag it through some rock sections. :laughing:

I just a YouTube with a rather stockish looking 5th gen 4Runner on a black trail. Barney Rubble trail?

Trying to figure all this out. Their website lacks details.

Are SXS’s allowed on full size trails?
Some of the black trails are more or less blue trails with a obstacle in the middle making them harder. Barney Rubble is a great example, you can run the trail but there's a few parts there's harder lines which have lines around now. I check on YT and I'm guessing it was the Recon life video? They ran it down hill instead of up like most do which is a bunch easier and took one of the easier lines.

SXS can go pretty much anywhere, 4wds are stuck on 4wd trails, there's some single track as well that's pretty narrow. They have paper maps in the office grab one. They say to use Maprika but compare it to the map cause it doesn't always track right.

I'd offer to guide you guys around but I just started walking 2 weeks ago after breaking my leg. As much as I want to get back out I doubt it'll happen for awhile.

Some of the black trails are more or less blue trails with a obstacle in the middle making them harder. Barney Rubble is a great example, you can run the trail but there's a few parts there's harder lines which have lines around now. I check on YT and I'm guessing it was the Recon life video? They ran it down hill instead of up like most do which is a bunch easier and took one of the easier lines.

SXS can go pretty much anywhere, 4wds are stuck on 4wd trails, there's some single track as well that's pretty narrow. They have paper maps in the office grab one. They say to use Maprika but compare it to the map cause it doesn't always track right.

I'd offer to guide you guys around but I just started walking 2 weeks ago after breaking my leg. As much as I want to get back out I doubt it'll happen for awhile.

Can you give me a list of must hit trails? If you know them?

We’ll only have one full riding day if we do this.

Can you give me a list of must hit trails? If you know them?

We’ll only have one full riding day if we do this.
Screenshot_20220511-122603.jpg

The area by Excalibur is a bit hard to navigate, I don't think it gets run much. The trail across from it is fun. Last time we went up upper excelsior and just worked out way around those blues, crossed Anthracite road hit BA, extension and Muddy shackle.

It's been a year since I've been on that side so deats are a bit fuzzy. I have a buggy but go there with friends in pretty mild rigs that do those trails. Bone stock Rubicon, Sami on 32s and mild built Toyotas.

Screenshot_20220511-122603.jpg

The area by Excalibur is a bit hard to navigate, I don't think it gets run much. The trail across from it is fun. Last time we went up upper excelsior and just worked out way around those blues, crossed Anthracite road hit BA, extension and Muddy shackle.

It's been a year since I've been on that side so deats are a bit fuzzy. I have a buggy but go there with friends in pretty mild rigs that do those trails. Bone stock Rubicon, Sami on 32s and mild built Toyotas.

Good to know.

Any super, stupid steep climbs on the blacks, or just bigger rocks?

Off trail 55 the pit, awesome trail but the one side is steep down to a off camber slab that can be greasy. Super fun but it certainly comes up quick and is steep. The climb out upper Anthracite is steep but short. There's a trail near 39(41maybe) that's pretty steep and long but not hard. My buddy in the Sami doesn't like it.

I cannot say this enough, stay out of Excelsior swamp. There's giant holes in it, we didn't know and 40s disappeared and 1 guy almost got swamped in there.

I really want to get out and do some wheeling this weekend, but NH is a bit further than I want to go

June 8th headed to Jericho NH for the day. thats at least a little closer. Either way, your out there. lol. Have you hooked up with the maine4x4 guys yet? good group of wheelers.

Last edited:
I really want to get out and do some wheeling this weekend, but NH is a bit further than I want to go

June 8th headed to Jericho NH for the day. thats at least a little closer. Either way, your out there. lol. Have you hooked up with the maine4x4 guys yet? good group of wheelers.
If you haven't found that group on the facepage yet let me know and I can show you what to search for. I've seen your posts on PV4WD, at least before they re-did everything...

M4x4 is (Eric will corrct me if I'm wrong) the only NEA club active in Maine that I know of, so its a good join if you want access to the NEA only stuff. I'm "active" in M4x4, but I tend to skip the NEA stuff because I tend to be a bit busy with a combination of life and WMMJ/Jamboree Prep. I know we have a couple Jericho dates on the calender, but I have no idea when they are.

I was one of the first people to cut that property. Amazing to see how far its come. Never would have guess the jim and Pete's trail would have been such a killer.

Looks like I’m heading to Hemmonds MX and Offroad Park with the Lake Region Jeepers this Sunday.
Enjoy. We hosted the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs Q2 meeting at Hemmonds back in 2019. Had a great time. I'm sitting in the passenger seat of that 'Yota that is on its side. In the photo you can barely see the 2" diameter tree that is the only thing keeping us from barrel rolling about 200'.

pic-002.jpg

pic-013.jpg

pic-016.jpg

pic-017.jpg

pic-018.jpg

Enjoy. We hosted the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs Q2 meeting at Hemmonds back in 2019. Had a great time. I'm sitting in the passenger seat of that 'Yota that is on its side. In the photo you can barely see the 2" diameter tree that is the only thing keeping us from barrel rolling about 200'.

pic-002.jpg

pic-013.jpg

pic-016.jpg

pic-017.jpg

pic-018.jpg
Nice! Now I’m really excited! Spent some time today going over the General and getting it ready. Checked and topped up fluids, greased the fittings, aired down to 2 PSI, cleaned it out, hell I even washed it. Gonna throw it on the trailer and hitch up Saturday. Gotta be there at 9 am Sunday and google says it’s about 2.5 hours so I want to be able to just get up, toss everyone in the truck and go in the morning.

Got a small group heading to FRO Saturday. Shaking down my rig after being apart for months and seeing how my leg feels sitting in the buggy and driving stick again.

Well first time we ever flopped a rig to get it unstuck. He bumped into the tree and it fell, the root ball got jambed into the bottom and picked the rig up. The stubs of the roots were locked into the bottom making it so we couldn't move it. Flopped rig off, pulled root ball.putta the way and flipped buggy back over. Rig had one the exhaust ripped off the manifold on one side and ARB line broken and something hit the wires for the ARB solenoid.
received_601588931368639.jpeg
received_730000568098864.jpeg
received_369196448649924.jpeg

I know we have a couple Jericho dates on the calender, but I have no idea when they are.
The Q2 NEA meeting will be held at Jericho Mountain on August 13. Its going to a fun weekend. Anybody reading this is invited to show up.

Do any of you think there’s a way to get massive trail systems started in the north east?

How is it that California has so many trails, and so many regulations, but the north east pales in comparison?

Is it just too much private land?

Been really frustrated with the absolute lack of wheeling available anywhere near me. Really hoping the game commission gets desperate enough to open a season for land access, but I have little faith in that playing out.

Yes. Its all private land wit snob owners. lol

There are "unmaintained" roads in each state, and several people have maps on how to make a road trip out of them.. but they are usually not too difficult.

Dont wait for anyone to do it for you. Join an organization that is helping to open up land for wheelers. Where are you located?

Yes. Its all private land wit snob owners. lol

There are "unmaintained" roads in each state, and several people have maps on how to make a road trip out of them.. but they are usually not too difficult.

Dont wait for anyone to do it for you. Join an organization that is helping to open up land for wheelers. Where are you located?

Everyone is on fucking Facebook now.

I’m in western Pennsylvania. We have Tri-County and Scrubgrass. But that’s it for local wheeling.

Pennsylvanians have been brining up the Hatfield McCoy trail system for years as a persuader. No luck.

Do any of you think there’s a way to get massive trail systems started in the north east?

How is it that California has so many trails, and so many regulations, but the north east pales in comparison?

Is it just too much private land?

Been really frustrated with the absolute lack of wheeling available anywhere near me. Really hoping the game commission gets desperate enough to open a season for land access, but I have little faith in that playing out.
I'm on the eastern side. We got Rausch, Anthracite offroad, Famous reading within 2 hours of me. Outside that it's all pouching or on private land. Since I have a buggy pretty much those 3. I hear rumors occasionally of the old Paragon property being opened back up like AOAA by the township but there's always rumors about that area.

There used to be stuff at Sproul state forrest. Friends were going there in mildly built Tacos and camiping too but that was near a decade ago.

What about Rock run and Doe valley rocks?

They have big trail systems out west because its all federally owned BLM or the like owned. Everything in the northeast is privately owned, and anything decent sized government owned is not going to be politically acceptable for 4X4 use. Even the exceptions like Jericho aren't exactly huge.

Join a group with private access to places. If you can't find one you aren't looking hard enough or willing to drive far enough.

Short answer is no.

At least with respect to public land. If you don't get in on the ground floor then existing user groups (especially hikers) will scream bloody murder about losing "their" land to 4x4s. There is not a whole lot of Federal land in New England but much of what does exist was created with stipulations that limit use to "passive" recreation, i.e. no motorized recreation. For example, the White Mountain National forest falls into this category. Its a similar story for a lot of state land which was purchased, in large part, using Federal funds that came with stipulations restricting use to passive recreation. Basically, the radical anti-access crowd called the shots while we were asleep at the wheel.

I'm not very familiar with the history of AOAA but I understand that is it public (county) land that was developed from the ground up as an OHV area after the coal companies moved out. No prior user group history. Its a similar story at Jericho Mountain State Park in NH which is former paper company land. When the paper company sold out to the state a local 4x4 club (North Woods Off Road) was involved with development of the master plan which included access for full size 4x4. It took almost 10 years but today there are 4x4 trail at the state park. AFAIK, Jericho Mountain is the only designated 4x4 trail system on state-owned land in all of New England.

As Caleb (rattlewagon) mentioned most of the hardcore wheeling up here in New England is private land. Most of this private land is accessed via clubs which have worked out arrangements with the property owners. For example, I belong to Ocean State Jeepsters and our club has worked out deals with 8 property owners who allow us to cut trails and run wheeling events on their property. All of these properties are "local" to the membership, i.e. hour or less drive. Other clubs have access to different properties.

The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs (NEA) is an organization (currently) consisting of 34 member clubs spanning all of New England and Eastern New York. Through the Association, member club share access to private properties and combine resources to access new properties. The NEA also actively raises funds to acquire land. Five years ago the NEA acquired a 100 acre property in central MA that is now available by reservation to all member clubs. Just a few weeks ago the NEA signed a long term lease for 550 acres of property in central NH. Trail development at this new property is underway as we speak and this property will soon be available by reservation to member clubs.

Here in the Northeast, we may not have access to the public land that is available out West but IMO we are still sitting on a good situation. Frankly, we have access to more properties than we have people to develop and maintain them.

That's my $0.02.

Last edited:
They have big trail systems out west because its all federally owned BLM or the like owned. Everything in the northeast is privately owned, and anything decent sized government owned is not going to be politically acceptable for 4X4 use. Even the exceptions like Jericho aren't exactly huge.

Join a group with private access to places. If you can't find one you aren't looking hard enough or willing to drive far enough.

Closest one I found has a minuscule trail (like a mile long on a rail bed), and pretty sure it’s SXS/ATV only.

Willing to drive far enough? :laughing: I drive 1,600+ miles one way each year to get off road in the mountains. When gas isn’t stupid I used to do 600 mile round trips down to WV to wheel.

God forbid I ask a question about something closer for full sizes, or about opening up more areas north east wide. 1-4 times a year for good wheeling sucks.

Top Back Refresh