What's new

Non off-road builds

Norm

Newb
Member Number
Loc
Cold North
I’ll start with my fist non-off-road build ever.

77 vette, nice southern Cali car that was well taken care of until 94, then mostly stored inside. Everything rubber was rotted.

I rebuilt brakes, suspension, every bushing, engine and transmission seals over winter. Engine had 20k on stock rebuild.

I added old skool H268 cam, brodix IK 180 heads, headers, tried to keep it retro down to the MT valve covers. Still original block.

Next is connecting a new sanden 508 ac pump and lines. Next winter I will tackle gears and maybe a 700r4 swap.

61130A4B-F247-453F-9CC3-D7F270DE033D.jpeg

A65F77A7-6C58-4F8C-83E8-472DCC4E1E6E.jpeg

902A9477-640C-4488-8AF4-F6F636B28D32.jpeg

2BFE8713-ACE3-41E4-9457-02A63CF58E07.jpeg

16864815-1C28-4154-8393-9C13252E1E40.jpeg

Nice...I like the H268, used to sell the shit out of them when I did automotive/speed parts. Eons ago now....
My dad has a '76 Vette "retirement project" thats been sitting for years, my brother and I joke about who doesnt get it when that time comes...😂

I picked up a '64 Chevy II four door a couple of years ago as a summer driver, unmolested, 194 powerglide...I did add disc brakes, but ither than plans for new paint, it's gonna stay stock.

photo1812.jpg

There was a whole thread on it back on the old site but....new site new post so.

04 Forester XT, 6MT swap w/PPG gears and Cusco limited slip, R180 swap w/cusco limited slip, Brembo brakes, Driveshaft shop "level 4" (they call 750hp) axles, JDM STI LCA w/whiteline ball joints, ALL bushings replaced with TiC/Subtle/Whiteline, STI lateral control arms, boxed and welded trailing arms. FEAL 441 coilovers (corner balanced), Cusco H brace, Cusco mid brace set, Cusco rear sub frame T braces, Cusco front cross brace, Cusco tower braces F/R, Subtle solutions rear hatch brace(upper and lower), Subtle solutions fender/front brace, Cusco inside B pillar floor brace. DCCD controler system.

Engine: EJ257, forged CP pistons, 08+ crank, stock cams and heads, ID1300 injectors, Side feed to top feed conversion, FP green turbo, cobb downpipe, grimspeed crosspipe, grimspeed uppipe, S3 AOS, oem STI tmic, all hoses and couplers replaced with silicon. Tuned by GST motorsports/Speed Element for both pump gas and E85 340/400 WHP (pump/e85)

Body: JDM imported cross sport body kit, 01-02 STI JDM import wheels (BBS), shaved emblems, JDM door latch/handle, JDM import HiD headlights (yes proper factory SG9 projectors), all side/brake/turn lights converted to LED. LED swap fog/driving lights(full swap not just bulbs), JDM power folding mirrors. JDM front L/R fenders (factory skirt turn signal cutouts)

Interior: 05 seats(power), 03 STI carpet kit, Innovation Dynamics gauge cluster in center pod, upgraded sound system. 04 STI Momo steering wheel, OEM everything else.

Needs body/paint still, that is next on the list, and I am waiting on a JDM SG9 carbon fiber lip, but they are very very hard to find.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180707_151930.jpg Views:	0 Size:	481.7 KB ID:	6705

Last edited:
Nice...I like the H268, used to sell the shit out of them when I did automotive/speed parts. Eons ago now....
My dad has a '76 Vette "retirement project" thats been sitting for years, my brother and I joke about who doesnt get it when that time comes...😂

I picked up a '64 Chevy II four door a couple of years ago as a summer driver, unmolested, 194 powerglide...I did add disc brakes, but ither than plans for new paint, it's gonna stay stock.

Nice, I think my parents had a chevy II with a 3 on the tree when I was a little kid, not many running around anymore. I like unmolested old iron! I'm trying to keep the vette stockish, but it's hard when you also want a nice driver. The only thing not period correct is the heads and the sanden 508. I might keep the th350 and just swap to 3.55 gears, the 3.08 gears and tall 1 st in the th350 make it a dog off the line. But drives and stops good, which was my priority. I'm trying to do the vette in stages to keep it from becoming a forever project and enjoy some seat time.

BF666BB5-00F9-4966-8C06-4F9E06586B0A.jpeg
About 5 years ago I picked up 2001 Miata (NB generation).
To date I have done following:

New timing belt/tensioner, water pump, cam and crank seals, radiator and some new hoses, cam and crank sensors.

Garage Star fender braces and door Delrin bushings.

Hankook Ventus RS3 tires (205 45 16) - stock rims

Shifter and boots were rebuilt with new parts

New rotors / pads (still need to change brake fluid to Motul I have sitting on the shelf)

Flyin Miata Vmaxx Classic coilovers and Racing Beat 1.25” front swaybar, 949 Racing adjustable sway bar links, Naro Motorsports sway bar brace kit

Quality lubes/oil all around

Hard top (need to paint as it is faded a lot)

Hood louvers

Future plans are all new suspension bushings, engine mounts and few other bits. Likely keeping stock drivetrain and no swaps/forced induction (picked up Ninja 650 as a substitute)

You guys looking for personal builds only? If you dont care, I have loads of builds I've done for friends and customers (my personal ones seem to sit and only get a little love now an then).

You guys looking for personal builds only? If you dont care, I have loads of builds I've done for friends and customers (my personal ones seem to sit and only get a little love now an then).

There are no rules to this thread other than don't ghay it up.

I thought that's what " Misc" was for? :confused:..... This is chit chat. Y'all don't pay attention.:flipoff2: Personally I'd put it there and link here or in your sig.

Edit..... this thread will get "ghayed" up here FYI

Last edited:
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	787.5 KB ID:	6838 67 flh b
basket case build, 88a Springer, Twinkie brakes, yadda yadda.
Unlike hollieweird took 6 months to build the first time.

P1010036.JPG

I sold my last Runner, a '97 SC'ed 3400, used the $$ to buy materials that I put into this whitewater dory.

Lets start with a 1985 Bullnose F-150 on a 2008 Crown Vic P71 chassis and running gear. Everything except paint and body by me. Metco billet links, channeled bed 6" to clear car frame, factory weeded harness, reused vic steering/dash/brake system/ parking brake/ retro fitted wiper motor, fenders are flared out 2" so it a subtle look etc etc.

The sacrifices

IMG_20160411_095209_384.jpg

IMG_20160411_093256_343.jpg

In the middle of build first test fit of f-150 cab on Vic frame

20160507_180129sm.jpg

Finished mechanically (my side of the deal)

20160703_161440sm.jpg

Interior and paint done displayed at SEMA

IMG_20160411_095209_384.jpg

Bonus pic I thought was cool (next season of roadkill garage built their crown hick, wonder if this one gave them the idea?)

14712396_331564857218002_7067761692255453184_n.jpg

Built this to be the new DD so I don't get beat up in the autocross go kart. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative!

92 22re/auto so it can't even be driven all that spiritedly since the juice box eats up so much power but that keeps my driving record clean too.

The truck had a wrist pin rattle so I grabbed my dad's 84 x cab I built for him years ago and robbed the engine and shitty flat bed and got it together the day after Thanksgiving. I've been tinkering on it since. Just built a new twilight panel, receiver hitch and headache rack after spending a day rebuilding the driver's front corner of the bed so now it's squar-ish. It was 1.5"longer on the driver's side of the bed. Not sure a tape measure was actually used to build it, seriously...

photo1894.jpg

photo1895.jpg

photo1896.jpg

No thanks, "rat rod" is just another term for "too lazy to do it right so lets pretend to be hip and edgy" hipster crap.

A lot of the time I'd agree with you on that but not always. The guys with fake patina, flat clear and trinkets & geegaws plastered everywhere are stupid.

The rigs that are just a legit patina with a killer drivetrain are some of my favorites. Having a really nice car makes you too careful and creates a lot of work to keep it looking fancy. A tattered body with dings and scratches allows you to enjoy it without worry.

A lot of the time I'd agree with you on that but not always. The guys with fake patina, flat clear and trinkets & geegaws plastered everywhere are stupid.

The rigs that are just a legit patina with a killer drivetrain are some of my favorites. Having a really nice car makes you too careful and creates a lot of work to keep it looking fancy. A tattered body with dings and scratches allows you to enjoy it without worry.

I don't know about that man, I have a few nice cars, and I flog the crap out of them despite the money ive put into body kits and such.

I don't know about that man, I have a few nice cars, and I flog the crap out of them despite the money ive put into body kits and such.

Because you don't have any really nice cars. I'm talking diaper wiped show shit not clean street cars. A lot of people get caught up in things and before they know it have built something too nice to flog properly.

Nothing kills someone with a super nice car like a shitbox with double the horsepower under the hood smoking them down the road. It's why I built a pickup, it isn't supposed to be able to turn but the Twisties is where it shines the brightest.

77C67149-B666-47C7-A302-36663F90D691.jpeg
9C597B24-DE1C-464F-983A-FE3DDB8D01A5.jpeg
ABED0138-1037-46CE-B596-FAF9195F7011.jpeg
I have a couple of non 4x4’s. They happen to be fords.
My 1963 fairlane is my favorite. I have had it for 14 years. Drove it to the Hamb drags a few times. In 2010 I built a 331, shortened an 8.8 (3.55 disc with a Detroit) with 2 moser short side shafts. The 331 made 462.6hp at 6900. It has a built c4. I have a fi tech 600hp kit for it, to replace a very will tuned and modded Holley 4150HP I have been seriously thinking about a big$$$ built T5. It would make it even more fun to drive.
I put it together to drive to Bonneville 2010. Had a great time, was crew on Ed braces blown gas rear engine modified roadster, he set a record that week. It was An awesome trip.

F5B48C26-A47E-46ED-ABCD-BDE4FE672965.jpeg
This is the c10 I kinda built. 2” drop spindles and 3” drop springs up front, 5” drop stings and 2” drop block in the rear. The cheapest set of riddler wheels. Junkyard parts power steering and brakes and a hei distributor. Runs and drives awesome doesn’t make enough hp to wreck anything. Thinking about splurging and buying a a/c retro for it!

The word "build" here is very loose, as this is mostly a compilation of bolt-on chit, but it's what I got at the moment. 2013 Mustang GT- ported Boss intake, Accufab TB, JLT cold air, Reische 170 thermostat, Maximum Motorsports 6-point roll-bar, Simpson 5 point harnesses, 4:10 gears, Shaftmasters 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, FRPP carbon clutch pack LSD, BMR lower control arms, Lethal 3" midpipes and over the axle pipes, Flowmaster American thunder axle back, SCT PRP tuned, a shit ton of weight reduction. Coming soon: Some suspension and brake stuff, switch to HP tuning platform.

49750926713_bd1b24ba4e_h.jpg

I previously had the built Thunderbird (sold), with a proper machine shop built 306, built C-6, swapped turbo coupe 8.8, etc. Times gone by and not dredging that one up for the time being.

Top Back Refresh