What's new

Non off-road builds

The 331 made 462.6hp at 6900. It has a built c4. I have a fi tech 600hp kit for it, to replace a very will tuned and modded Holley 4150HP I have been seriously thinking about a big$$$ built T5. It would make it even more fun to drive.
I put it together to drive to Bonneville 2010. Had a great time, was crew on Ed braces blown gas rear engine modified roadster, he set a record that week. It was An awesome trip.

[Joe Dirt] Dang! [/Joe Dirt]

I have a couple of non 4x4’s. They happen to be fords.
My 1963 fairlane is my favorite. I have had it for 14 years. Drove it to the Hamb drags a few times. In 2010 I built a 331, shortened an 8.8 (3.55 disc with a Detroit) with 2 moser short side shafts. The 331 made 462.6hp at 6900. It has a built c4. I have a fi tech 600hp kit for it, to replace a very will tuned and modded Holley 4150HP I have been seriously thinking about a big$$$ built T5. It would make it even more fun to drive.
I put it together to drive to Bonneville 2010. Had a great time, was crew on Ed braces blown gas rear engine modified roadster, he set a record that week. It was An awesome trip.

If you go FiTech and run into issues or want help, let me know. I've installed about 15 of them so far and have some basic knowledge of them. I've installed throttle body, port injection and LS kits.

20170901_083911sm.jpg

20170903_114543sm.jpg

20170704_135939sm.jpg

20161210_150146sm.jpg

Thats awesome

I would love to replace the carburetor with an FI Tech throttle body on this, do you think it would be possible with those headers?

There's not really a good spot to put the o2 sensor. As soon as the 4th exhaust runner meets the main tube, it's packed with ceramic muffler packing. How horrible would it run if the o2 sensor were only picking up 3 cylinders on each side?

Last edited:
I would love to replace the carburetor with an FI Tech throttle body on this, do you think it would be possible with those headers? There's not really a good spot to put the o2 sensor. As soon as the 4th exhaust runner meets the main tube, it's packed with ceramic muffler packing. How horrible would it run if the o2 sensor were only picking up 3 cylinders on each side?

Hmm interesting. I'd be tempted to try myself. Is it a dual plane or single plane intake manifold? If single plane I bet it would work but a dual plane might make it read funny unless you have the center divider cut down (because of fuel distribution).

Anyway you can push/move the packing down a bit and weld in the bung right after the 4th tube?

Hmm interesting. I'd be tempted to try myself. Is it a dual plane or single plane intake manifold? If single plane I bet it would work but a dual plane might make it read funny unless you have the center divider cut down (because of fuel distribution).

Anyway you can push/move the packing down a bit and weld in the bung right after the 4th tube?

It's dual plane, but I haven't bolted the intake on yet, I could always put a single plane manifold on there.

I could probably take some of the packing out. The sensor would be pretty close to the end of the header, would that matter? The packing starts right where the coloration stops.

Would it need 2 o2 sensors? or just one side?

Last edited:
It's dual plane, but I haven't bolted the intake on yet, I could always put a single plane manifold on there.

I could probably take some of the packing out. The sensor would be pretty close to the end of the header, would that matter?

Would it need 2 o2 sensors? or just one side?

The throttle body FiTech use only one O2 sensor. You want about 18" of tube after O2 sensor so it doesnt draw in fresh air and mess with the readings.

The throttle body FiTech use only one O2 sensor. You want about 18" of tube after O2 sensor so it doesnt draw in fresh air and mess with the readings.

hm... yeah, even if it's before the 4th runner, there wouldn't even be 10 inches of tube behind it. :-\

Meh, oh well. I'd rather run these headers than something else, haha

Lets start with a 1985 Bullnose F-150 on a 2008 Crown Vic P71 chassis and running gear. Everything except paint and body by me. Metco billet links, channeled bed 6" to clear car frame, factory weeded harness, reused vic steering/dash/brake system/ parking brake/ retro fitted wiper motor, fenders are flared out 2" so it a subtle look etc etc.

The sacrifices

In the middle of build first test fit of f-150 cab on Vic frame

Finished mechanically (my side of the deal)

Interior and paint done displayed at SEMA

I just read the article about this truck the other day. I'm a pretty big bullnose fan, seeing as I'm an owner. I have wanted to take a short bed since they're still cheap and put a crown vic suspension under the front, which is pretty easy to do, and eventually a Coyote engine. I think the factory frames are easy enough to work with as is with a little stiffening but the entire frame swap was pretty cool too. Lot more work but well executed.

There was a whole thread on it back on the old site but....new site new post so.

04 Forester XT, 6MT swap w/PPG gears and Cusco limited slip, R180 swap w/cusco limited slip, Brembo brakes, Driveshaft shop "level 4" (they call 750hp) axles, JDM STI LCA w/whiteline ball joints, ALL bushings replaced with TiC/Subtle/Whiteline, STI lateral control arms, boxed and welded trailing arms. FEAL 441 coilovers (corner balanced), Cusco H brace, Cusco mid brace set, Cusco rear sub frame T braces, Cusco front cross brace, Cusco tower braces F/R, Subtle solutions rear hatch brace(upper and lower), Subtle solutions fender/front brace, Cusco inside B pillar floor brace. DCCD controler system.

Engine: EJ257, forged CP pistons, 08+ crank, stock cams and heads, ID1300 injectors, Side feed to top feed conversion, FP green turbo, cobb downpipe, grimspeed crosspipe, grimspeed uppipe, S3 AOS, oem STI tmic, all hoses and couplers replaced with silicon. Tuned by GST motorsports/Speed Element for both pump gas and E85 340/400 WHP (pump/e85)

Body: JDM imported cross sport body kit, 01-02 STI JDM import wheels (BBS), shaved emblems, JDM door latch/handle, JDM import HiD headlights (yes proper factory SG9 projectors), all side/brake/turn lights converted to LED. LED swap fog/driving lights(full swap not just bulbs), JDM power folding mirrors. JDM front L/R fenders (factory skirt turn signal cutouts)

Interior: 05 seats(power), 03 STI carpet kit, Innovation Dynamics gauge cluster in center pod, upgraded sound system. 04 STI Momo steering wheel, OEM everything else.

Needs body/paint still, that is next on the list, and I am waiting on a JDM SG9 carbon fiber lip, but they are very very hard to find.

filedata/fetch?id=6705&d=1590156554

I used to deal with Odi over at Feal suspension when I raced Pit Bikes. He was the only guy I would let work on my suspension. Dude was/is dirtbike shock Jesus.

:grinpimp:

I’ll start with my fist non-off-road build ever.

77 vette, nice southern Cali car that was well taken care of until 94, then mostly stored inside. Everything rubber was rotted.

I rebuilt brakes, suspension, every bushing, engine and transmission seals over winter. Engine had 20k on stock rebuild.

I added old skool H268 cam, brodix IK 180 heads, headers, tried to keep it retro down to the MT valve covers. Still original block.

Next is connecting a new sanden 508 ac pump and lines. Next winter I will tackle gears and maybe a 700r4 swap.

One of my all time favorites. I use to have a 78'. I'd still have it, if it had OD.

I've got a 4bt swapped CJ-7 and a modern Hemi swapped LJ, but my baby is my 55 Chevy 2 door sedan. I grew up surrounded by tri-five Chevy's that my Dad would buy/sell, so I was bit by the bug at an early age. Back then (early 80's), you could still buy one of these cars for a little bit of nothing, so quite a few of them came and went.

There is quite a personal story behind this car. I entertained a build thread on the old board, but hosting/posting pics was such a pain in the ass, I didn't bother. I may entertain it here, though. This ol' girl came home to MD with me from a vacation to CA. I promptly took the body off the frame to "protect" it from the weather and road conditions here on the east coast. Lots more work, a couple engine/transmission swaps, interior work, etc later this is where I'm at.

Its still not "done" yet, but she's a fun driver and makes me happy.

20191102_174309.jpg

20191102_174543.jpg

20150328_150403.jpg

20191103_125941.jpg

I've got a 4bt swapped CJ-7 and a modern Hemi swapped LJ, but my baby is my 55 Chevy 2 door sedan. I grew up surrounded by tri-five Chevy's that my Dad would buy/sell, so I was bit by the bug at an early age. Back then (early 80's), you could still buy one of these cars for a little bit of nothing, so quite a few of them came and went.

That is sweeeeet!

Built this last summer

10 years ago I was at the scrap yard and this 42-47 ford truck cab was about to get crushed. It had a 1.5 ton front clip, in great shape, but ugly. It was a fire truck, and a high school shop class project, with new glass and everything worked, doors and windows were functional.

Plans changed several times, gathered parts, 34 Chevy grille, 48 ford tailgate, 1980 Toyota chassis, offered the package for sale and got no bites.

Threw it together with an explorer 5.0, a mustang v6 T5, an explorer 8.8, and a suburban 3rd row seat.

Got about that far, rolled it out to sweep up, took pics, listed it, if it sells it sells, it sold, I enjoyed seeing it come together, but I'll do another

photo2205.jpg

photo2207.jpg

photo2208.jpg

photo2208.jpg

09EDF198-F018-44FA-A3DC-997D2C1B934B.jpeg
F30D577A-A558-4F31-B05D-7DAB6AC9F9FF.jpeg
4435001D-427C-4145-A537-FDCE69466CD1.jpeg
BEA897C5-A7E8-45C9-892F-5E74FA8D5A12.jpeg
18242DEC-A87A-42C7-8588-F2EBF0C9ECE0.jpeg
This is a copy and paste from When we broke in the 331 on the dyno.
We ran the new 331 ford yesterday. This was a solid built street engine. 10.2to1 compression,Malhe coated pistons, hbeam rods, forged crank, out of the box cnc ported pro action aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rocker, Edelbrock Victor jr intake, 650 holley carb. Using LAT break in oil. We made 30 pulls, changed a few things, ran 108 leaded race gas for break in, finished with 93 octane exxon unleaded pump gas.

A 1" four hole cab spacer picked up 10 hp and 10 foot lbs of torque. It was a very happy engine, idles nice at 800-900rpm, starts like a stock engine. There was a little more power to get, but it will move the 1963 fairlane very well. With a change to LAT racing oil over the break in oil there would be a 7-10horse power jump, but I was not looking for numbers, so it is what it is.

It was cool when we picked up almost 10 horse power on the pump gas, not sure how much we would have gained on unleaded 108, it took 68 jets on leaded, and 76 jets on 93 unleaded. When I get to work I will scan the Dyno sheet.

I would like to Thank Lee Schwartz, Paul and Ben Barnes. We had a great time, and everything worked. It was a Great day on the Dyno.

I bought this 12 valve 5 speed truck about thanksgiving with a busted timing cover from the KDP. I bought a seized parts engine on thanksgiving day, and had the truck running in a week. Once running I put it up for sale but didn't get any decent offers, I've parted out a bunch of these for the engines, and figured out this was a decent truck and could be cleaned up with stuff I had laying around.

Did the bodywork while sitting on a picket line:flipoff2:

stripped a bunch of stuff off, that needed replacing anyways.

Stripped the windshield moulding, WS was cracked

painted it in my dad's carport with an Amazon paint kit

I had asked around on the old site and the consensus was I would need every ounce of the gallon, and I only had so long without wind, so I didn't take time to dial my $40 gun in, I just started spraying.

I got basically a satin finish, that could probably be wet sanded if it wasn't metallic. It looks great in the sun, and splotchy in any other light. But I'm satisfied for what it is.

Swapped out the common scratched door glass and tinted the "new" ones myself, F that, I'll pay next time.

Gutted interior and power washed it, sewed seat back up, swapped fresh headliner from a dodge that got raided for a ford swap. Bought a US made dash cap.

Today it's getting an alternator and a good used hydroboost, P.O. had been adding PS fluid weekly

Pretty happy with it, but it'll always be for sale for $10k and I'll keep using it

photo2255.jpg

photo2256.jpg

photo2257.jpg

photo2258.jpg

Lets start with a 1985 Bullnose F-150 on a 2008 Crown Vic P71 chassis and running gear. Everything except paint and body by me. Metco billet links, channeled bed 6" to clear car frame, factory weeded harness, reused vic steering/dash/brake system/ parking brake/ retro fitted wiper motor, fenders are flared out 2" so it a subtle look etc etc.

The sacrifices

In the middle of build first test fit of f-150 cab on Vic frame

Finished mechanically (my side of the deal)

Interior and paint done displayed at SEMA

TMI?

How are those seats? been looking at picking up one for my 67 f250

TMI?

How are those seats? been looking at picking up one for my 67 f250

Full discloser, I work for TMI. I am the IT Manager. So this is just my opinion lol.

I personally love them and use one of the seats for an office chair for the last 3 years or so. I'm a big dude (6'4" 340lbs) and they fit me well (depending on the model you got for). In the F150 its the same foam/seat configuration as my office chair and it is a very comfortable truck to drive. I commute 68 miles each way and have driven the truck to/from multiple times and is more comfortable than my 2012 camry.

Are you looking at the 2 buckets with center console or the "sport" bench that is a bench seat with bolsters formed in? Both are nice IMO. I'm going to convince them to put dual sport benches in my 66 Impala wagon here soon (I hope lol).

If you know what you want PM me and I will see if they will give me a buddy discount (no promises as sometimes it's out of my hands).

This is the c10 I kinda built. 2” drop spindles and 3” drop springs up front, 5” drop stings and 2” drop block in the rear. The cheapest set of riddler wheels. Junkyard parts power steering and brakes and a hei distributor. Runs and drives awesome doesn’t make enough hp to wreck anything. Thinking about splurging and buying a a/c retro for it!

I love the truck. The vintage air IV set up with the factory vents is may favorite. I have 2 vintage air units, 2 factory ac trucks and I put old air products retro fit in my 1972 k10 suburban. The old air products unit is not nearly as good/nice as the vintage air. The factory stuff is great , but a little more work to get 50 year old stuff to perform compared to new in the box vintage air.

Full discloser, I work for TMI. I am the IT Manager. So this is just my opinion lol.

I personally love them and use one of the seats for an office chair for the last 3 years or so. I'm a big dude (6'4" 340lbs) and they fit me well (depending on the model you got for). In the F150 its the same foam/seat configuration as my office chair and it is a very comfortable truck to drive. I commute 68 miles each way and have driven the truck to/from multiple times and is more comfortable than my 2012 camry.

Are you looking at the 2 buckets with center console or the "sport" bench that is a bench seat with bolsters formed in? Both are nice IMO. I'm going to convince them to put dual sport benches in my 66 Impala wagon here soon (I hope lol).

If you know what you want PM me and I will see if they will give me a buddy discount (no promises as sometimes it's out of my hands).

im 6'4" and 250 lbs so thats good to know. i was thinking the buckets or the bench with the drop on console, your dash pads look great too.

I just dont know anyone that has them...or have i ever seen them in person. ill be pulling the trigger sometime next year, i appreciate the offer for the buddy discount but its a business and if its worth a shit ill pay for it. Saw yalls write up or maybe it was ad in f100s builders guide and was like holy shit there is different options than swapping from another year.

Do they take up more room than the stocks seats? as in im going to remove my cab gas tank and im curious if im going to loose my gained space.

im 6'4" and 250 lbs so thats good to know. i was thinking the buckets or the bench with the drop on console, your dash pads look great too.

I just dont know anyone that has them...or have i ever seen them in person. ill be pulling the trigger sometime next year, i appreciate the offer for the buddy discount but its a business and if its worth a shit ill pay for it. Saw yalls write up or maybe it was ad in f100s builders guide and was like holy shit there is different options than swapping from another year.

Do they take up more room than the stocks seats? as in im going to remove my cab gas tank and im curious if im going to loose my gained space.

If tank is gone you can slide the seat back all the way to the back of the cab. I can see if we have any decent photos on Tuesday when back at work if youd like. If you convert to buckets they are lower than the factory bench and allow you to slide back further. The bench replacement I honestly dont remember how it was when I sat in it leg room wise, i remember the steering wheel didnt rub my crotch though like factory did.

If tank is gone you can slide the seat back all the way to the back of the cab. I can see if we have any decent photos on Tuesday when back at work if youd like. If you convert to buckets they are lower than the factory bench and allow you to slide back further. The bench replacement I honestly dont remember how it was when I sat in it leg room wise, i remember the steering wheel didnt rub my crotch though like factory did.

If its not out of your way thatd be awesome

Back from the dead since things are slow and not everyone was over here when this first surfaced?

I know there is a "other builds" section but it seems this one was a good outlet for just posting up your play toy, without a long winded thread?

Feel free to let it die if no interest :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh