What's new

Nissan Pathfinder heat issue

Or bite the bullet,30hr at 100 an hr is only 3k. Car looks like it's worth it.

He's from the south. They don't fix shit down there. They just scrap it or park it in a field when something goes wrong. Without rust to destroy shit for them they have to make up their own reasons. :flipoff2:

So research says that any VQ40DE engine through 2019 will work

I found a nice 2018 with 40k on it for under $2k, going to look around a little more but will most likely grab that one.

VQ engines are typically very good. I had the issue on a 2017 Frontier. Went away by filling up the overflow tank to the full line. Air in the heater core makes all the sense in the world. Sounds like you got bigger issues with yours though....probably why you found a $1200 Pathy. Nissan build just as good an engine as Toyota does...never understood the hate. The trucks don't have the god awful CVTs.....

So research says that any VQ40DE engine through 2019 will work

I found a nice 2018 with 40k on it for under $2k, going to look around a little more but will most likely grab that one.

Fuck it. VK swap the bitch and get the Titan V8 in it. :flipoff2:

They make a kit for the xterras and frontiers now. Apparently they even cracked the TCM and can make it to the 6 speed. Of course you could just get a harness from a V8 Pathfinder and drop it right in.

I really want to put a 6 speed manual in a Titan now...

fuckin every time someone deletes a fuckin post or something I can't get back into the thread again from the notifications tab

VQ engines are typically very good. I had the issue on a 2017 Frontier. Went away by filling up the overflow tank to the full line. Air in the heater core makes all the sense in the world. Sounds like you got bigger issues with yours though....probably why you found a $1200 Pathy. Nissan build just as good an engine as Toyota does...never understood the hate. The trucks don't have the god awful CVTs.....

The VQs are good, a little too much oil consumption but that is related to the loose rings they come with.

The earlier engines did have some oil control issues.

Mine also suffers from a blown gasket that covers an oil passage behind the timing set, I have had 3-5 LBS of oil pressure at idle since i got it.

It really is crazy that with all the issues this engine has it drives smooth and has power.

Idles normal, you honestly cannot tell the motor is so far gone from how it runs, as long as you keep putting in a quart of oil a week tho.

Anyway can anyone here confirm that i can drop a 2018 VQ40DE into my truck without much issues?

The internet says no changes from 2005-2019 but that seems fucking hard to believe.

I just scored this 2018 Frontier engine with just 8,000 miles on it for $1,460 shipped to me.

This should fix up the truck pretty well.

I will also replace the heater hose junction box that is located behind the engine, made of plastic, and prone to breaking open while far from the home.

i will also toss in a set of Cats as I think their is a good chance they are clogged up from the years of the oil being burnt.

frontier.jpg

The VQs are good, a little too much oil consumption but that is related to the loose rings they come with.

The earlier engines did have some oil control issues.

Mine also suffers from a blown gasket that covers an oil passage behind the timing set, I have had 3-5 LBS of oil pressure at idle since i got it.

It really is crazy that with all the issues this engine has it drives smooth and has power.

Idles normal, you honestly cannot tell the motor is so far gone from how it runs, as long as you keep putting in a quart of oil a week tho.

Anyway can anyone here confirm that i can drop a 2018 VQ40DE into my truck without much issues?

The internet says no changes from 2005-2019 but that seems fucking hard to believe.

2005-2019 engines are essentially the same. I've owned 5 VQs and never had oil consumption issues with any of them. Two of them are the VQ40, two were VQ35s, and there's a VQ37 in my Z.

Top Back Refresh