What's new

night vision or thermal

I've had my AGM Varmint TS35-384 thermal out a few times over the last couple of months. I've shot at and taken 3 coyotes so far with it at 40, 190 and 173 yards. I love it.
I've seen foxes and coyotes at 4-500 yards with it, but didn't try to shoot at any of those (I'm using a bolt action .222). I've seen deer at 1000 yards+ with it. I love the detection range of thermals over night vision. Generally, by watching the animals movements and looking at the general shape, you can determine what you are looking at, at the 500+ longer yardages...deer, coyotes, cows, etc. At the sub-200 yardages it is very easy to tell what you are looking at, without really any effort at all. And really sub-400 yardages don't take much effort either, at least with the larger animals...coyotes, deer, etc. Skunks, opossums, coons are hard to differentiate at the longer distances though.
I have also seen bobcats with my handheld AGM Rattler TS-25-384 that I use as a monocular/spotter when I was using it during the day.
At this point, it would be hard to convince me there is anything better out there than the AGM Rattler, Varmint and Adder lines for the money.

Since this came back to the top, should update.
Picked up a sightmark wraith 4k mini for Xmas.
Caught it on a sale for $600. Pretty happy so far with it, especially for the price.
The night vision mode is similar to my older pulsar nv only scope. It needs an ir light if there isn't much moonlight. Size and weight is good
Having the day capability on it makes it not a dedicated night rig.
I'm looking at the full-size version, how is it with any low ambient lighting around, I've got a streetlight that I can't turn off near my area. Does that one take pics? Post some up.

It does take pictures, will have to check the manual to see how. Pretty sure I will have to plug it into the computer to get them off. Didn't buy it for all the picture and video stuff.
Was going to try to get to it last night, but didn't have time and now we are in the middle of a blizzard.

The ATN's are good and I like their Obsidian app. I am personally someone who was militarized to death for 25 years that I was really put off by civilians trying to own military grade shit. I have recently seen the light and encourage everyone to buy whatever it is you think you will need or give you an advantage. There is no doubt that thermal is the king of the night. It can feed you and keep you and yours safe.

It does take pictures, will have to check the manual to see how. Pretty sure I will have to plug it into the computer to get them off. Didn't buy it for all the picture and video stuff.
Not too worried about that too much either, was more curious of actual use/visual from a more real source rather than YouTube reviewers.

Got a chance to take some pictures.
Indoor picture.
SIMA0001.JPG

Outdoor no moon, with IR illuminator on. Probably 100 feet away, maybe more.
SIMA0002.JPG

SIMA0003.JPG

Outdoor, no moon no IR illuminator.
SIMA0004.JPG

It was really windy with snow blowing around.

That's somewhat impressive for the price, can't see me talking myself out of one now.

It was blowing snow at 40 mph. I am very happy with it for the price. I would love a white phosphor pvs-14, but it's just not in the budget. Something to be said for the digital is that you can't damage them by exposure to bright light. And they don't burn out over time.
One thing I will say as a downside is that the ir flashlight and mount you get with it are pretty cheap, while they definitely work. i will be upgrading mine later.

3:45am this morning, dog go full ballistic bouncing off a bay window and a glass patio door waking the whole fukn house up cuz there's 7 gawd dam yotrs within 60ft of the house, pissing wife off. Outside with double badger loaded in my fukn jammy pants.....they snuck away in the darkness, fukrs!
Come back in the house, ol lady says how many you get?
You hear a fukn shot?
....umm no.
Couldn't see them.
Go fukn order that gawd dam night vision then!
How can I say no?

Also I didnt know what a double badger was. Not goona lie, was kinda worried what google was going to show me

Fyi yall. Its just a gun

Also I didnt know what a double badger was. Not goona lie, was kinda worried what google was going to show me

Fyi yall. Its just a gun
I smiled, that's funny.
22wmr over 410 version
Spayshul overload 1850~2000fps thug slugs, looks like a 12" punkin jumpin out the end, folds up tight enough to fix in a backpack.

Indoor picture.
SIMA0001.JPG

SIMA0002.JPG

SIMA0003.JPG

SIMA0004.JPG

Is that the 4k mini?

Indoor picture.

How does it do with movement? Some of the cheap ones I tested had some real lag, you would swing the gun to a point then the display caught up a half a second later. Made for some strange video game esque feeling

I think it does well.
The focus goes blurry a bit while swinging fast.
If you want to do high speed close range, the sightmark probably isn't the best bet.
Lag seems very minimal.

I use this

Sightmark Wraith HD 4-32x50 Digital Day/Night Scope​

I like it
I decided to try one of these. Gotta say, I'm impressed, especially for less than $450. One complaint would be that the optic needed to be a little closer to my eye (less eye relief) when mounted on the most rearward pic slots on one of my AR's. If you're comfortable with a drill press you CAN get the scope ~one inch closer for free. Remove the base and drill two new openings (countersunk) into it and re-attach. It helped immensely.

I decided to try one of these. Gotta say, I'm impressed, especially for less than $450. One complaint would be that the optic needed to be a little closer to my eye (less eye relief) when mounted on the most rearward pic slots on one of my AR's. If you're comfortable with a drill press you CAN get the scope ~one inch closer for free. Remove the base and drill two new openings (countersunk) into it and re-attach. It helped immensely.
Agree
Have killed multi pigs and yots with it.

Top Back Refresh