Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

Night riding/racing

Gots_a_sol

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Bunker Hill, WV
Was touched on in the buck fiddy thread. What are you running for lights?

Helmet lights, I'm running a Baja Designs S1 off an Antigravity XP10 and a cheap mtb light as a back up. Found out the last race (8-hr event, Ironman) that the XP-10 only goes for about 2.5 hours. Glad I had that back up. Going to play with an adapter to use 20v tool batteries as my AG pack is starting to swell up. I keep the battery in a bag attached to my hydration pack. Keeps the cords short so less chance they will snag a tree branch or something. Plus keeps the lights on if you find yourself off the bike :laughing:

On the bike I had previously used a Rigid Industries bar. It has a blue tint to it that was hard on the eyes. I swapped out to an BD OnX6 which had great output and whiter light. Only problems with it are is a lot bulkier than the slim RI bar and as it turns out, pulls slightly more wattage than the stator of my Beta 250RR can put out at lower rpm. Found that out about 5 hours in to the 8 hour race which was very slow and techy. Being slow and techy like it was I did not need the extra output either, but having to kick start the bike because the battery was too low did suck. I would have to cycle the light on/off in 30 mins intervals to let the battery stay up enough to e-start.

Moving forward, I'm probably going to just put a BD squadron or the like in the stock mask as having the light bar mounted above the bars I've smacked my helmet off of it a few times, plus the helmet lights can reflect off the back of it and dazzle me. Also having in the stock mask would be nice for trail riding if unexpectedly out after dark.

Helmet lights from the first 24 hour race I did in 2018. My helmet is all the way left with a pair of generic mtb lights (Oxbow uses this design) that I adapted to gopro style mounts which zip tie to the chin bar. I want to say the two middle helmets have Task racing set ups and the far right was another home brew set up.

67427524_2283682275001079_4923311674145898496_n-XL.jpg

RI light bar. Don't seem to have a pic with the BD bar, it looks just like this but about twice as tall :laughing:

06585163_3019043414798291_4226806948385696499_n-X2.jpg

Forgot I ran the gopro at one of the the 8 hour races

This is with the RI bar on the bike and I think the S1 helmet light.

Honestly watching it again, for these east coast woods the bar on the bike is way overkill as the helmet light is the star of the show.

Also I'm painting the backside of my bar busters flat black next time as you can see how much light gets reflected back.

Saw this on the facebooks. Hopefully a resolution is found or some people start telling the AMA to go fuck themselves.. While this particular promoter is in the south, I just sent off my entry to the Northeast 24 hour race in NY (race is in July)

1673062607178.png

Last edited:
I had heard that the AMA was banning helmet attachments and thought it was gay, but banning helmet lights in night racing? Turbo gay. Triple gay. That sucks man. Hopefully you can find a workaround on it, because the 1 night ride I've ever done, I agree that the helmet light was the star of the show.

ETA: AMA writing rules like dumbshit congressmen write laws

Top Back Refresh