What's new

Next build on my mind, but i cant find good pics for reference

Deleted

Starting to look for my next build and hoping for visual inspiration. I have not been able to find what I'm looking for in any Google pictures and I've only seen something very similar in person once in my life. I'm looking for a red two-door wrangler Rubicon soft top with all black trim/interior/top/etc. Built lifted on 33s (or 35s) with black bead lockers, custom tube bumpers (with warn winch of course), etc. Built for rocks, not show/trophy. Google pics had a ton of show builds that were just....disappointing.
Anyway, When I start the build, I'll be posting more. For now, anyone wheeling a red and black wrangler? Post a pic!

1623111000394.png

:lmao:
:flipoff2:
Not what you're looking for, but I couldn't resist...

The rig in my photo has a 390 holley with an off-road needle and seat. There's a video on YouTube and Rumble of my first outing with it where I started it on its side. I've never been left stranded like so many 'ahem' 4L Jeeps I wheel with due to an angry pixie (electrical) issue.

That being said, Toyota's are just like Jeeps, just a canvas to be painted on. I subscribed to JP magazine right until they quit publishing it for the build ideas. I've never wheeled a Jeep since my teenage-days '86 Cherokee. I'm working on a 3.9L Magnum swap with a mix of factory parts for the truck in my pic to the left that I may leave fuel injected. If I do, I'll share some of the angry pixie parts with my Jeep friends.

If you want to inject an off-road rig, it's hard to beat a FITech or Holley throttle body setup. Both of their newer systems will work for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, they're pretty simple, and they can be installed for about $1,000-1,400.

You looking at a TJ, JK, or JL? I'm sure you know to avoid the 3.8L 'minivan' motors in the early JKs. Good minivan engine, bad Jeep engine.

2005 TJ preferred or a 2015 JK 2 door. The 06 to 2011 pre-pentastar craps are definitely being avoided.
I've always liked the FJ40s, but they were a bit pricey the last time I actually looked for one. Albeit, this was 10 years ago that I looked

2005 TJ preferred or a 2015 JK 2 door. The 06 to 2011 pre-pentastar craps are definitely being avoided.
I've always liked the FJ40s, but they were a bit pricey the last time I actually looked for one. Albeit, this was 10 years ago that I looked
If you thought they were pricey then, don't bother looking now.

I traded a core engine for a "parts" '40 about 10 years ago. I should probably sell it as it's solid enough to be worth $$$ now, but I'm dumb, and I know I will never have another, so I decided to get started building it. BTW I need to get a bonded title for it, which has been my holdup for a 1/2 decade as I don't want to dump time/money into something I may lose. It was only labeled 'parts' due to it missing some drivetrain bits and being rough when it was acquired for parts 25 years ago when they were still out there to be had. Now its pristine by midwestern standards. Fuck it, still gonna build it though, not getting any younger. Need a family wheeler (don't tell the wife as I've already declared the 93 4Runner I bought over the winter the family wheeler). I guess it's 'family wheeler that's actually cool'. I've had vehicular ADHD (as well as the real kind) all my life, but since my dad passed 2.5 years ago I decided that I didn't want to leave things I've been dreaming of building undone, so here we are.

Back to your issue. You said in other posts you're originally from the southwest. I'd get one from there that's already 75% of what you want. I've looked as some for my Jeep friends over the years and you can probably get your 6 speed TJ (that is why you wanted an '05 right?) with a mild lift, bumpers, winch, and 33-35s for <10k if you don't want top and doors. It will probably have a few issues from being beat on rocks, but you're going to do that anyway, right? If you need the hardtop and doors, you can find them along the way. You may actually have better luck in the NE getting these as the tub rots away before the doors and the fiberglass top may need a repaint but should be fine. I know you want to build it, but it seems you are trying to move so this would be easier.

That being said, it's wise advice that I usually won't take myself, so there's that.

Tbh, 10 years ago anything above 2k was pricey :lmao: I'd want to stick to a purchase budget of 15-20k (pre build). I'm definitely not going to buy a rust bucket from the east. That's the biggest benefit to moving west..no rust and much better quality of cars. DEFINITELY a 6 speed manual.
I can make a new soft top for a wheeler and upholster it myself so those things are non-issues. I was just telling Monkeys that I have a phobia that I'll get exactly what I want and then never want to beat it crawling. Guess that means I should consider getting a pre-beat crawler and go from there to save myself the anxiety.
Regarding your bonded title issue, Is it possible to get a 40 tub that has a title, switch vin plates and... boom, clean title?

Tbh, 10 years ago anything above 2k was pricey :lmao: I'd want to stick to a purchase budget of 15-20k (pre build). I'm definitely not going to buy a rust bucket from the east. That's the biggest benefit to moving west..no rust and much better quality of cars. DEFINITELY a 6 speed manual.
I can make a new soft top for a wheeler and upholster it myself so those things are non-issues. I was just telling Monkeys that I have a phobia that I'll get exactly what I want and then never want to beat it crawling. Guess that means I should consider getting a pre-beat crawler and go from there to save myself the anxiety.
Regarding your bonded title issue, Is it possible to get a 40 tub that has a title, switch vin plates and... boom, clean title?
Bonded title isn't a huge issue in Iowa pre-'68 as that was before the non-standard VIN and the fact it hasn't been registered in 25+ years makes it pretty easy. I just listened to too many people who 'knew' how hard it was.
Your suggestion is doable, but 'illegal' and can land you with fines and jail time if caught. No one ever catches you as we have no state inspections, but it is always a concern. Garbage tubs with a VIN tag and a title will run 2k+ these days...

If your price range is 15-20k, the world is your oyster. Personally, I'd buy one for 10 that has most of what you want, which leaves you 5 to make it yours.

Admittedly, this is coming from a guy who has 3k total in mine after 10 years (+ sweat equity) so I've got no basis for my claims:homer:
No way the wife would sign up for that on a toy, considering she doesn't care to go and I'm the only income, 3 kids and one on the way.

Admittedly, this is coming from a guy who has 3k total in mine after 10 years (+ sweat equity) so I've got no basis for my claims:homer:
No way the wife would sign up for that on a toy, considering she doesn't care to go and I'm the only income, 3 kids and one on the way.
Well, this earns a whole new level of respect, in my book. We have 3 kids as well and spent many years on one income. I understand your wife's perspective and good on you for working hard on what you have within a budget. Anyone who does that is worth taking advice from. Thanks for the input 🤝

Me and the wife are both building up 2 door JKs for harder type trails and rock crawling. I'm on tons and 38s, wife is on 35s, both locked and geared
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg

Me and the wife are both building up 2 door JKs for harder type trails and rock crawling. I'm on tons and 38s, wife is on 35s, both locked and geared
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
Nice! I really like the rounded grill style of the JK. That (and fancier interior options) are why I'd choose a Rubicon JK. We currently have a JKU, but it's just to fit the whole family. I don't mind the JK on 38s. Nice builds!

Top Back Refresh