What's new

Newb questions on CA motor swap

fl0w3n

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
NorCal
Anyone have experience with a federal square body gasser doing a motor swap and smog? Obviously diesel VIN or pre-75 would be ideal, but is a federal vin the next best thing?

I’m assuming a 1990 k2500 with federal emissions has little to no original equipment to match, so even though it would still need to be inspected it should be pretty straightforward and a stripped LS should pass with ease?

Go read the rules on swaps on govt pages. Within the first couple of sentences your question is answered. But short:
No matter the chassis, the engine to be swapped has to be a Calif smogged engine AND all smog systems functional.

There is a bit more to it than that such as transmission has to match style for the engine; ie if engine/tune came from an auto, you have to use an auto.

You will never get a pass leaving off smog systems from the ref. They also can get VERY picky on all parts being in original location. I got called for putting a tee for computer water temp and gauge.

Since you have a 3/4 ton this becomes a lot easier for you since there are plenty of diesel engines readily available for that weight class (I mention this because there aren't any desirable 1/2 ton donors available for my F150).

Unfortunately, your federal emissions does little to help your situation unless you're just trying to get your original equipment to pass smog (because with a federal vehicle you'll have less emission equipment to mess with).

When you perform a swap you have to bring ALL of the emissions equipment over from the donor. Your vehicle's smog status ends up being identified to CARB as whatever the donor is (federal, 50 state, whatever.. your original status does not matter).

Federal vehicles can use either a federal smog engine or a california smog engine. California smog vehicles can only use a california smog engine. All swaps must retain all the original smog equipment as they were from the manufacturer, or use CARB legal parts. They have to stay in the same weight class as the vehicle being swapped into, so no car engines in trucks, or HD truck engines in light trucks. My smog ref told me point blank that he wouldn't certify anything newer than 2000, unless it was an EROD motor. He said it was too difficult to get any of the newer can-buss stuff through.

Having a federal vehicle can help slightly as whatever combo your looking at may not require as many cats, or O2 sensors, or an air pump, but beyond that it doesn't really help.

Sorry I didn't read your full post.

The smog equipment from your current vehicle doesn't matter when doing the swap. You have to keep all the of the smog equipment from the donor engines vehicle and put that in your 1990 K2500. So if you swap in a 2000 LS out of a 2500 silverado, you would need to keep the engine, trans, cats, evap system(which includes a fuel level sensor), O2 sensors, etc...., from the silverado and make it all fit into your 1990 K2500.

It is possible and there are many running around I would think, but it is a pain in the ass. I would make sure its what you want to do.

Kevin

Thanks for all the info.

At this point with what I was considering, I’d probably pass on doing a swap with this specific federal rig. I was just looking to get it running and driving cheaply and relative easily.
What I was hoping for was diesel vin or pre 75 conditions of throwing whatever in it.

For some reason I have a hardon for USFS green squares, and most of the ones I’ve seen are just 350 gassers late 80s. I think if I were to build one and actually take the time to really do it, I’d probably do an 01 Duramax LB7 also from a federal rig.
An 8.1 or LS would be nice too but like has been pointed out, to go through swapping all the emissions equipment for “just” an LS doesn’t seem worth it.

Having been through the process, it really isn't worth it unless your very attached to the vehicle. It is far better to find the drivetrain you want, and then proceed to modify the vehicle to be what you want it to be. I really should have sold my 4runner project as is, then just bought a newer runner or whatever, and then put duals and a solid front axle on it. I'd be time and money ahead with less hassle.

I do recall, circa 2002 or 03, when I was taking classes, that you could swap any vehicle to diesel and just needed the ref to sign off that it had been converted. I don't think at that time there were any real restrictions or requirements. My guess is that has changed now, but you should look into it. I really only know things from the gasser side.

It is unfortunate that CARB treats us like idiots and will not help people that want to do things correctly. They'd prefer no one to work on any vehicle ever.

Don't forget the other obvious way of getting what you want in the end. That is the fact that square bodies are like lego's so you don't need to start with a 90 to look like a 90, you can start with an older non smog 1973-1975 truck and make it look like your dream 1990 USFS truck very easy by swapping the front clip, doors and bed on after painting the cab. You then have a non emissions vin but the look you want and can swap in whatever engine you want as well, or look for a CUCV that someone pulled the axles from and start there.

Thanks for all the input

Definitely not worth doing for this specific project… maybe in the future if funds and time allowed to do it right with a diesel, but for cheap and dirty that’s just not possible with a smog vin in California it looks like.

The lego aspect of squares is a good point, I’ve thought about just painting one the USFS mint green of the 80s-90s but then that gets on a whole different level to build a rig nice enough to deserve a full paint job.

Had a guy buy a 1986 Chevrolet M1008 cucv cab and title from me back a few years ago and that item is exempt from smog in the "State Of California".

These are available on Iron Planet dot com in several different configurations.

IE M1008 1 ton pickup truck, M1009 blazer, m1010 ambulance, M1028 shelter carrier, M1028A2 dually pickup truck, M1031 maintenance truck.

This one is a wreck in the sheet metal but has the good drive train which should include the np205 transfer case and the adapter between the T400 / np205.

Correction it has the np208 t case.

8c1d95cd-2f49-4127-859d-10d572364586.jpg

This one has the T400 and np205.

Note the shifter handle.
028df2b5-70d5-4bc5-82d1-7f652ebd9589.jpg

This is the m1031.

Top Back Refresh