What's new

Newb np205 question

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
Ok so I got a ford np205 t case i modified the shift rail for twin stick and tore it all apart. I'm having issues putting the modified shift rail back in. One guy on YouTube rail is different than mine. What should I do here. Its the rear down that goes between the rails. It won't go far enough in to i stall the longer modified rail. What should I do. Its all tore apart so open to suggestions. Stock shift rail before grinding it.
20211026_140849.jpg

Then you installed something wrong.

The grinding allows to to shift them independantly, if you did it wrong you would have the same as stock.

Or you dont understand how it shifts.

You need to have the rear in neut ot high to get front high.

Yeah rear is in high 2wd but front won't go out of neutral. If rear is in neutral or low front will go front neutral to low but won't go into high at all. I'm guessing I ground it wrong but I followed jb conversion instructions and they matched all the read through that I found online too. .4" on middle notch and 15/16 from end with a steeper ramp on the edge just like stock. Strange

More than likely you assembled it wrong.
There is a trust washer that goes between the front bearing and gear that is easy to forget or put between the yoke and bearing

Or you put the fork on backwards.

You need to think about it a lil differently than stock. The rear is always 2wd. Only when you shift the front its 4wd.

<--- front of the truck
Front low-n-hi
Rear low-n-hi

If you did the grind wrong you either wont get the split shift function or you will get cross ratios, hi front/low rear. Worst case senario is that it will still shift like stock and you wouldnt get front hi untill you go rear hi. But thats not your problem.

The forks are idendtical so mixing them up is not a problem. But putting them in wrong is.

Just for arguments sake, you did only grind the rear rail correct?

You said its all tore down again correct?

Reinstall the shift lock pills, rails and detent balls and cycle the shufters.

OK yes I did intall the lock pills and just the shifts and it all moves as it should, the dents all engage correctly. BUT when I install it the front only works in Low range not High range. That is what confuses me. Also I did put the trust washer in behind the bearing, between the gear and that correctly. I will tear it apart again tomorrow if someone can explain what exactly to look for OR what items I should check as I reinstall everything. Thanks.

Also I understand each rail works either front or rear of the truck, so you have Low, Neutral, and High for rear and front. Now the front only works in Low and neutral not High. Even if rear is in neutral I can get the front to go into Low for those extreme front digs that I will never do in this truck.

OK i'll tear it down and check it all out again and reassemble it and hope I get it right. Seems pretty straight forward and simple compared to other chain driven planetary gear t-cases i've done.

Thank you for that. I will tear it down and re inspect everything again and put it back together and make sure it all works as it should each step along the way

Top Back Refresh