What's new

New tools always make me smile

I have a anniversary 3hp and love it. Forrest WW2 blade on it and it almost gives me jointer like edges every time.

Is it worth the $160 instead of ~80 for a CMT? :eek:

And what do I do about sharpening? I don't know how to do that!

I have an old MAG77 set up just that way from my construction days.

I'm not so worried about the weight but it would sure be nice to not have to plug it in to use it:laughing:

I have a dedicated circuit just for my saw now.

I have two of of these I inherited then from my brother in law when he moved. I also got a older Rockwell table saw.

Is it worth the $160 instead of ~80 for a CMT? :eek:

And what do I do about sharpening? I don't know how to do that!

120 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Forrest-WW104...1331788&sr=8-1

I think so as to if its worth it or not. It seriously cuts like butter regardless of what you are cutting. Just don't hit nails or shit in wood and it'll stay sharp for a long time. When it does need resharpening, Forrest does it for like $10 and can replace teeth and retrue it as well. Top notch service.

I will never use another blade for quality cuts.

Warning: if you use Knipex Cobra pliers, you'll most likely hate Channellocks any more - "or so I've heard" :laughing:

I added a bunch of Knipex to my pliers collection at the end of last year...they're certainly nice, but I'm not sure I could say they're worth more than double the price of channellock. Out of the pliers I own, I'd say worst to best it's mastercraft, gearwrench (those other red ones, excluding the double x pliers which are actually awesome), channellock, then knipex still.

Last edited:
I added a bunch of Knipex to my pliers collection at the end of last year...they're certainly nice, but I'm not sure I could say they're worth more than double the price of channellock. Out of the pliers I own, I'd say worst to best it's mastercraft, gearwrench (those other red ones, excluding the double x pliers which are actually awesome), channellock, then knipex still.

Wow, looks like 5 pair out of 65ish have been used & none of 'em look fucked up - nice pliers museum :flipoff2:

\n\nWhat is that creature? In need of a new torque wrench as well. :laughing:
\n\nPresion Instruments split beam. Still clicks, but doesn\'t lose calibration. US made.\nhttps://www.amazon.com/Precision-Ins.../dp/B002XMSFIM\n\n\n
\nReplace the channel locks with these. You\'ll never look back.\nhttps://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-...x=knipe&sr=8-2
\n\nI\'ve been pretty happy with the Irwin ripoffs from Lowes. $47 for 3.\nfiledata/fetch?id=28661&d=1591334379\n

image_7188.png

038548040837.jpg

Last edited:
Last weekend I made a drive and traded a wheeler I had about $850 into for a Enco 105-1110 mill, a no name chinese lathe with a 12" swing and 28" deck and a 45 amp plasma cutter.

I think I'm gonna get a bunch more use out of this stuff than the cheap wheeler.

I love new tools!

Last thing I bought was a set of Irwin easy outs for torx and hex bolts. Used one of them for a stripped caliper bolt, and will probably never need them again. But...I got em, just in case!

I was so stoked to finally have bought some ratcheting wrenches. Yeah, I learned real quick not to use those in tight spaces. When they get pinned, it's a mother to get them out.

Last edited:
Should be receiving my new DeWalt compound miter saw today. We are having the floors refinished and she wanted new baseboard throughout the house. Told her I would do it but she is buying the saw. :smokin:

Well, ok. Looks like a Forrest blade is in my future.

Treat them like you paid for them, always have Forrest resharpen them, and they'll last a loooong time.

A plastics fab shop I worked at used Forrest No Melt Plastics blades, they were amazing. I measured the tooth geometry and had a local cnc saw shop duplicate the profile. While they worked better than a standard TCG there was no comparison to the Forrest!

Jewels bought me a Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet for Christmas. Walking through HD one day I made a comment that I wanted one, she noted it and got me one, not realizing it was a bare tool. I think she felt bad when I opened it, and couldn't use it. She went a little over board and ordered 4x 3.0 AH batteries and a charger online. I went from no batteries to a glut of batteries for just the one tool.

Over Memorial Day, I took advantage of a sale and ordered a M12 Fuel 1/4" impact & 3/8" hammer drill combo kit (included a single 4.0 AH battery & charger) and came with a "free" M12 right angle drill.

So I guess I'm becoming a Milwaukee guy now. I've had a bunch of Dewalt 18V stuff for decade or more, but am still a little salty about their new 20V batteries not working with their legacy stuff. Yes I know there are adapters.

Jewels bought me a Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet for Christmas. Walking through HD one day I made a comment that I wanted one, she noted it and got me one, not realizing it was a bare tool. I think she felt bad when I opened it, and couldn't use it. She went a little over board and ordered 4x 3.0 AH batteries and a charger online. I went from no batteries to a glut of batteries for just the one tool.

Over Memorial Day, I took advantage of a sale and ordered a M12 Fuel 1/4" impact & 3/8" hammer drill combo kit (included a single 4.0 AH battery & charger) and came with a "free" M12 right angle drill.

So I guess I'm becoming a Milwaukee guy now. I've had a bunch of Dewalt 18V stuff for decade or more, but am still a little salty about their new 20V batteries not working with their legacy stuff. Yes I know there are adapters.

I need to get one of the M12 ratchets... Its been on my list for a while now. Maybe one of the M12 right angle die grinders too for running surface conditioning disks to clean up gasket surfaces under the hood.

Wow, looks like 5 pair out of 65ish have been used & none of 'em look fucked up - nice pliers museum :flipoff2:

Your point? Are you a badass because you abuse your tools and put them away dirty? A quick wipe when putting tools away does wonders to keeping them in good shape and I have hammers for hammering, I don't need to use my pliers for that.

You wood working guys reminded me I need a router. It'll be my next "big" purchase.

Last edited:
Since we're talking tools. I need a cheap drill to wind up straps on my trailer. No high torque needed. Its just gonna spin a winch and wind a 4" strap.

Your point? Are you a badass because you abuse your tools and put them away dirty? A quick wipe when putting tools away does wonders to keeping them in good shape and I have hammers for hammering, I don't need to use my pliers for that.

No, I don't abuse or misuse any of my tools; however, I use the everlovin' shit out of 'em.
They do get cleaned when putting away, but there are limits when micro grit embeds in-use.
I was just surprised to see none with nicks, non-removable grit, or staining in the handles.

Could be that your pliers are all new-ish - I bought mine as needed over the last 35 years.
Or scope of work - I'm no longer a pro, but I take on ambitious projects to stay . . . frustrated :laughing:

Since we're talking tools. I need a cheap drill to wind up straps on my trailer. No high torque needed. Its just gonna spin a winch and wind a 4" strap.

A guy I used to work with welded 5" long 1/4" rod on either side of a random bit and chucked it in a cheap cordless drill to wind his straps. It worked good but really could have used being mounted since holding it and guiding it was a pain when the straps twisted up.

Ordered a bead breaking stand and spoons for changing motorcycle tires. Pretty excited to learn to DIY instead of paying a shop to do it.

Ordered a bead breaking stand and spoons for changing motorcycle tires. Pretty excited to learn to DIY instead of paying a shop to do it.

Tubes or no tubes?

I have the worst luck with tires. MotionPro makes some nice stuff. BeadBuddy is great. The spoons are awesome too. We have a Nomar, but for the tubed tires its really just a glorified tire stand.

No, I don't abuse or misuse any of my tools; however, I use the everlovin' shit out of 'em.
They do get cleaned when putting away, but there are limits when micro grit embeds in-use.
I was just surprised to see none with nicks, non-removable grit, or staining in the handles.

Could be that your pliers are all new-ish - I bought mine as needed over the last 35 years.
Or scope of work - I'm no longer a pro, but I take on ambitious projects to stay . . . frustrated :laughing:

Knipex are less than 6 months, Gearwrench are less than 2 years, Channellock are over the last 10 years, Mastercraft are over the last 20 years but almost never get used now that I have better ones. But ya, not professional use...maybe once a week or so they get used in some way and maybe once a month on a vehicle and maybe once a year a proper big project. I'm just easy on my tools but always get chirped on for them being so clean.

What is that creature? In need of a new torque wrench as well. :laughing:

it's a twin beam, or split beam torque wrench, whatever it's called. You don't need to set it back to zero when not using it, apparently you can keep it set to whatever, and it won't degrade it's accuracy. It's also very quick and easy to adjust the torque rating. Pretty good quality stuff.

Jewels bought me a Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet for Christmas.

Thats one of the best tools I've gotten over the last year..... They rock
Once I start making money again I'll be getting the M12 1/4" one as well.

Other thing I really like is a set extra long flexible box ratchets.... (I got Mac set, but look same as these).
I like the added leverage I get form the length (I'm getting old/weak).

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.38.51 AM.png

Last significant tool purchase I made.
got it w/o battery because HD had a sale on two pack 3mAh w/charger
it’s the extended reach version. Haven’t used much but it’s worked great when I have.

46E4BF4D-A480-4796-B783-AD88AD4F7988.jpeg

Top Back Refresh