What's new

New tool box time

ntaylor

Member Number
I have a small Craftsman toolbox that is worn out and overflowing. Wife and kids got me this for Fathers Day. It has't arrived yet thought. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-He...15FT/309338952. I am thinking I am not going to like the flip up work bench because it will always have stuff on it and I'll never be able to flip it up to get to anything. I don't really need the workbench space. I am thinking of returning and getting this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-In...HDV3/309210140. Anythuing else in this price range that is good quality that I should be looking at?

It does take discipline to not use the top of the lid as a work bench. My smaller rolling toolbox/cart that I roll around to the vehicle when I'm working on it has a flip up lid, I have a love/hate relationship with it, as I ALWAYS need more workbench space, so I end up using it that way sometimes. :laughing:

I have a small Craftsman toolbox that is worn out and overflowing. Wife and kids got me this for Fathers Day. It has't arrived yet thought. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-He...15FT/309338952. I am thinking I am not going to like the flip up work bench because it will always have stuff on it and I'll never be able to flip it up to get to anything. I don't really need the workbench space. I am thinking of returning and getting this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-In...HDV3/309210140. Anythuing else in this price range that is good quality that I should be looking at?

Skip those Husky boxes. Your better off with a HF Us General. The weight rating on the Husky setups are pretty low compared to the rest of the name brands. That 2500lb rating is about half the US generals. Plus there is a lot expandability with the US general line that you don't get with the Husky.

2575_ITEM_56__X_22__DOUBLE_BANK_EXTRA_DEEP_CABINETS_1587519673.2523.png

I have been looking at them and heard good things about them. I think I may go that route. Then hopefully when the top box goes on sale pick up that also.

I went that exact route. Grabbed the lower first, then the upper. Im planning to add a side cabinet soon.

Went and returned the Husky to Home Depot and headed over to Harbor Freight to pick up a box. They had to order them so I will have to wait another week or 2. Went with the 44" top and bottom. It should give me plenty of space. If I do run out I can add the side cabinet or locker. Found this video that I thought was a pretty good review of both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZl7hVhD3Gw

I really like my US General tool chests. I've got one 44" chest, and a smaller rolling cart I found used. Both are absolutely great. I kind of really like the small rolling cart just for keeping sockets in.

I have a 20 yr old husky box. 44" top and bottom. While they hold my tools, they are very low quality. There are 4 drawers that fall off the tracks regularly.

I really want a HF 56" top and bottom. Way better quality.

I also wish I would've went with the 56" HF box. These boxes can hold a ton of weight...I find myself putting more tools in the chest than hanging them on the wall and stuff.

I've got a 72" bottom, 56" top, and a mechanics toolbox. Big fan of all of them.

Finally got my boxes in last week. Went with the 44". Plenty of space for what I have.

photo19738.jpg

Commies are happy

Since I work in an American factory, making an America product with my bare hands... let me try to explain it like this-

Imagine most of us on this site drive Z71's. And those Z71's need a 265/70/17.

Now imagine prices vs. what you get----

I make Hooper Tire 265/70 AT's and they're rated 9 out of 10. We sell these for $1125 per tire.

The Hop Sing RoadMurder 265/70 AT's are rated at 8 out of 10. They sell for $185 per tire.

Do we... uh... as a company.... uh.... i dunno.... maybe need to check into that? Because that $900 difference isn't just coming from kid labor.

:confused:

Bumping a 2.5yo thread because i know how the search works. :flipoff2:

We need a box for the bus. Moto tools and parts.

This is about what we need from HF.
1678929863301.png

So tonight i was looking at my bottom chest that I've had for 16ish years from Sams Club. It fell over once, a couple drawers need a little "help" to open since then and i hate its drawer config. Its bigger than we need in the bus but knowing dad and I we will fill it up.
1678930023997.png

So now I'm looking at this HFUSG to replace my bottom box with. Its a few inches deeper, and a few inches wider than my SC box. My top box will sit on it no problem. I think i will like the drawer config better.
1678930109910.png

Anyone have any input on this ^ box? Or others in the same price range (~$600) I should be looking at?

:beer:

Last edited:
With the Series 3 stuff coming out in the next few months, you can probably get a decent deal on the Series 2 stuff.
They just had a coupon a month ago:
Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 10.28.25 PM.png

I picked up a 56" HF USG base a year ago. No complaints. From looking at things, the USG stuff seems to be the best bang for the buck. Less expensive stuff doesn't compare well and the same or better quality elsewhere seems to go up exponentially in price.

Sometimes I kinda wish I had a real toolbox but the prices of the cheap stuff make me grateful for my free filing cabinets. :laughing:

This is about what we need from HF.
1678929863301.png

So tonight i was looking at my bottom chest that I've had for 16ish years from Sams Club. It fell over once, a couple drawers need a little "help" to open since then and i hate its drawer config. Its bigger than we need in the bus but knowing dad and I we will fill it up.
1678930023997.png

So now I'm looking at this HFUSG to replace my bottom box with. Its a few inches deeper, and a few inches wider than my SC box. My top box will sit on it no problem. I think i will like the drawer config better.
1678930109910.png

Anyone have any input on this ^ box? Or others in the same price range (~$600) I should be looking at?

:beer:

Those 26" ones really are a great deal for the money. I have a top/bottom one for my machine tooling - where you want lots of shallow drawers and not so many deep ones.

I picked up a 72" combo when they had that 40% sale last month. Only the bottom has come in so far and I'm half tempted to cancel the top as I don't think I'll need storage any time soon and the 72" flat top workspace would probably be more useful.

Stepped up to this from the old 56". I think I paid $1600 or so out the door for the top AND bottom combined.
CKbIVGMyyxckZKnZIbFhOxw=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

You just need the space to keep a bunch of stuff you already have? Or would a completely dedicated set of tools be handy as well? I've been seriously lusting after one of these bad boys for the race trailer for a few years now.
1678930023997.png
If you want that bottom box gone I can be at your house with tree fiddy within about 5 minutes of you saying so :flipoff2:

With the Series 3 stuff coming out in the next few months, you can probably get a decent deal on the Series 2 stuff.
They just had a coupon a month ago:
Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 10.28.25 PM.png

I picked up a 56" HF USG base a year ago. No complaints. From looking at things, the USG stuff seems to be the best bang for the buck. Less expensive stuff doesn't compare well and the same or better quality elsewhere seems to go up exponentially in price.
Yup walked in two weeks ago and they had the series two stuff in the back on sale for 30% off because all the new series 3 stuff was in. Definitely works really well for home workshop.

HF had the chest on sale so I went and got it. Little disappointed. Its no wider. The extra 4" of width I was expecting is in the handle (overall width after assembling handle, not actual chest width. :flipoff:

But it is 4" deeper, and I like the drawer config better. And now I can move the SC box to the bus.

1681610972210.png

HF had the chest on sale so I went and got it. Little disappointed. Its no wider. The extra 4" of width I was expecting is in the handle (overall width after assembling handle, not actual chest width. :flipoff:

But it is 4" deeper, and I like the drawer config better. And now I can move the SC box to the bus.

1681610972210.png

Are you saying to 44" box is only 40" without the handle? Or do they advertise that it's 48" wide and that includes the handle?

Top Back Refresh