What's new

New to toy haulers, samurai?

Swayzeexpress

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Quick overview - tent camped with my wife till pregnant with #1. Financed a tent camper pop up. Love it, lifted it goes everywhere I drag it... 6 years later, borrow FIL rv and lend the pop up to a buddy with two kids. They now want one.

I like the pop up over the rv for dicking around but with kids getting bigger I really appreciate the space of the rv. So had some beers and curious if there is a toy hauler style camper I can cram my sami into. TV is a tundra.

Any experience or advice is appreciated- happy Father's day

Wilson and I were just talking about this.

He had a medium? Sized hauler and said his is a little tall, but he's YJ spoa on 35s.

Fwiw, a non streched non monster truck Sami should easily fit in a 12' garage. I'd think with some creativity, you could make a 10' work.

The other option is a ~25' enclosed and add your own amenities.

Carson Funrunner should have some options if you are fairly narrow, maybe like 76” to fit between the bunks. It seems many brands will claim 13’ cargo space, but it is only 60” wide because the kitchen or something runs down one side.

If you are closer to 80” tire width it will be tougher, it seems like they tend to have bulkier wheel wells than a car hauler and they just won’t give you the 83” we are used to on those. Also, the side bunk/couch hardware sticks out from the wall significantly. So you may be looking for something with only one side bunk.

Also, you are probably needing to look for one on 6 lug axles, 10k gross, to have enough for even a Samurai.

I bought a 20’ toyhauler, bumper pull, and it is a squeeze for a 110” wheelbase, 79” wide, 71” tall buggy but it fits. Dry trailer is about 5400#.

64" wide on 33s and yjs, mostly concerned with height with the cage.

Is there shit you all like or wish you did different when buying?

Random pic on my phone

Attachments

• 20210516_195844.jpg
    20210516_195844.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 26
I have a 2005 Weekend Warrior 3005 SL 5th wheel toy hauler (about 31' long overall and a little under 8Klbs) that I haul my samurai around in. I tow it with a 2001 F350 4x4 dually CC long bed V10. It has the open floor plan, not the enclosed garage. I would never own an enclosed garage toyhauler for how I use my toyhauler. I figure a normal samurai is ~11' long. Throw a winch and/or custom bumpers on and you are probably looking at 12'+. There seems to be a lot of toy haulers where the garages are 10-11'. Not big enough. I have also had 5 ATVs in my toyhauler. That wouldn't be possible with an enclosed garage type. Mine is 14' to the first cabinet and 16'7" to the fridge on the other side.

If I were to do it again, I would try to find one in the 33-35' range, for the extra bit of hauling area. Plus mine doesn't have any storage underneath (the "pass-through" storage). So that kinda sucks.
I would also like one that is 102" wide and that doesn't have the fender wells on the inside, for additional width. I lose about a foot on each side because of the fender wells on the inside. Not a huge deal, since the flip up benches/beds on each side stick out about as far as the fender wells and the samurai tires are tall enough they will hit them before the fender wells. But for ATV hauling, it would be beneficial to have the extra width.

Mine also had drop axles on it that were not true from the factory, which made the tires wear unevenly. So I changed them out for normal straight axles, which also raised the toyhauler like 3-4", which helped with clearance on the truck bedsides and helped level the toyhauler. I also went from 15" tires to 16" tires and run LT tires that are taller than factory. I prefer LT to trailer tires in this scenario.

One thing you need to watch for is the distance between the floor and the rear drop down bed (if equipped). When I was looking for toy haulers I ran across some where the clearance wasn't enough to clear my samurai. I am SPUA with custom YJs (YJs with some S10 leafs added) on 33s or 34s, so not unusually tall by any means.

My samurai weighs 2640lbs. I haven't had any issues with the rear door not being able to support the weight, when loading/unloading.

Overall, mine works good for what it is and what I use it for. I would buy one that is a little bigger, if it met my specs and was fairly priced.

My little Sami has a winch and a rear bumper, it's 10' 8" you'd have to have some horrible giant bumpers to not be able to fit in a 12' space.

I went out and did some measuring, instead of relying on memory and google. A stock samurai is 10'9'' counting the slight arch in the front bumper.
My samurai with custom bumpers is 10'8" (add about an inch or so for the receiver hitch built into the rear bumper that sticks out and that puts it back to stock length). I have a receiver hitch in my front bumper that my 8K winch mount/channel slides into (pin is on the backside of the bumper, so the mount/channel is as tight to the bumper as it can be). So including the roller fairlead, that takes the OAL to 11'7" with the winch on (which it always is).
So yeah, most people can probably get by with an 11' garage on a TH to fit their samurai in, depending on if they have a winch and how they mount it if they do.

Top Back Refresh