What's new

New tire time, maybe wheels too

I did last Spring in VA, they were great and first time I ran stickies. Measured 34.5 I believe. I took them off and have my 33 mid terrains back on those wheels because I didn't want to chew them up so fast. I think I was running around 8 psi, that was the biggest change. The muds would go to 5 or 6 and have 0 change in contact lol

I can dig up pics and videos in a few hours. Didn't think I'd feel this way but they felt too big for this

Good info. Thanks.
I've always ran between 5 and 7 in my TSL tires (33x10.50s, 34x9.50s, 34x10.50s). So figured that 7-10 would be the range to run in a SXS tire, since they have softer sidewalls than regular tires, from what I've heard.

I wondered how quickly they would wear with them being a soft compound. But I also figured they shouldn't slip as much as a regular compound tire, so hopefully they wouldn't wear too much faster than a regular tire.
The best tire out of the 3 above that I've ran is the 33x10.50 radial TSL at 5psi. They were like a year old when I bought them and worked awesome with the softer sidewalls. I cleared obstacles that I thought would be impossible. Over the years they got hard and worn (ran them 10+ years), but still have like 1/2 tread, albeit the lugs are really rounded off. But they just don't work near like they did when they were new and soft.

I am really wanting to run a sticky SXS tire, but not sure if I can clear a true 35 on my full bodied samurai...I'll have to do some measuring. I also have a couple of tubed "samurais" that I can finish building that would clear 35s.

Looking forward to any pics and videos you can come up with.

Not sure what your lift is but these may help 33s and 35s. These are all I can find, have lots more somewhere...
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG
IMG_2974.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_124335_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_124350_Gallery.jpg
VideoCapture_20220424-212631.jpg

Long kinda boring videos of both on here if you want to see vids:

This was before the 1.6 swap

I am not sure what my lift is either.:homer: I've modded it so much over the years. I run SPUA YJs, but they are a custom pack mixed with S10 leafs for more lift over stock YJs. But my fenders are cut for more clearance. But I also have relocated spring hangers. The only bumpstops I have are the stock metal mounts on the frame. I removed the actual rubber bumpstops. So mixing all of that together, it is hard to say. Like I said, I have ran as big as 34s...but they are swampers, so of course they don't actually measure 34". So I'll just have to do some measuring, if I want to try to run true 35s (or 34.5s) on my full body samurai. I can always play around with making bumpstops, wheel offsets, etc., to be able to run a ~35" tire without rubbing.

I ran Q78r16's and they were damn good after I cut them. Ran with 16x7 steelies and only lost a bead a couple of times at 6 psi.

I wish there was a 15x6 or 7 (narrow) beadlock available for Toyota axle bolt pattern. Speedway has some but they are samurai and XJ bolt patterns.

yeah, I’ve looked at trailer wheels. Doesn’t the backspacing on them suck?
They're usually centered. So 15x6 should be 3" bs, then add about 1" or a little more width with weld ons.

Edit: zero offset would be 3" bs on a 6" wheel.

https://trailerpartsunlimited.com/t...ailer-wheel-6x5-5/?setCurrencyId=1&sku=NB1269

They went up in price, but still not bad with all hardware included. I like the formed ring over a thicker flat ring personally.

Top Back Refresh