What's new

New old rigs question SMOG

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
When ya gets back into the rig that's been back burnered for 5 years, do you get younger???

Ok real ?
How ruff is the carb 9 bay area counties engine swap protocol?
For you lucky folks not familiar (sp) (LUCKY fukks)
That's California aka the prk's worst idea EVER!:stirthepot:

1985 runner 22re odb1 swap into a 1983 minni .
so not much crazy chitt as I have picked up on in years gone by.

talkin to the reff for the appointment, he said I sound dialed in.
The shop owner sounded good (not the state dickhead type )
hope to do a one and dun

Edit
I have already done all the reading ,research, calibration verification via the fsm. So I have an 85 4runner under the tin.
All the emissions stuff is present.
All the electronic crap is present.
The cel works.
The ecm has zero codes.
How was your interaction with the referee?
When did you do it (year)?
Anyone do one not at the j.c.? (They are using regular smog shops right now).
​​​​
​​
Whatcha gott?

Last edited:
Beleive engine has to be from same year or newer donor vehicle. If you are installing a different engine than what the vehicle originally had as an option, you have to go to a referee station and say you did an "engine change". They will inspect and certify (or not) and place a placard on the vehicle. I dont remember if every smog after that has to go to referee station for testing.

Yup
got my 1st go around 23 june
I n
hear it's a three peat type bullshitt deal!
Once it's calibrated, the carb placard gives the smog guy the info to program the machine....
Who's got stories???

Last edited:
If you talked to the State already you might have made a mistake by getting it on their radar as a vehicle with issues. Ask around at clubs and find a shop in your area that “specializes” in how to get such vehicles to pass. It typically costs $100 – $200 extra. Bring cash.

Not with an eng. Change!
b.s. Smog testing and reports are ALOT harder to, fake these days!
You're in the smog belt Valhalla, right!?

Yup
got my 1st go around 23 june
I near it's a three peat type bullshitt deal!
Once it's calibrated, the carb placard gives the smog guy the info to program the machine....
Who's got stories???

I did a 4runner. 85 runner with a 95 4.3 vortec vin w. It will need to be the same weight class. No dump truck engine into a car. The same year or newer. Really you will need to read. The info is on the website. It was 3 visits for me, should have only needed to be two.

Cant help, but for my own personal gain...

Any vehicle 1975 and older is exempt from any and all smog/engine nonsense. Correct?

Not with an eng. Change!
b.s. Smog testing and reports are ALOT harder to, fake these days!
You're in the smog belt Valhalla, right!?

You have to know a guy, be referred, etc. They don't exactly advertise. Guys that know how to do it are around down her in So Cal. I'm sure they're up there too. It gets done. The problem with that route is you have to fight the same fight every two years.

I went through it in 01 with a mustang engine in a bronco. Everything was there and it was pretty painless. I think he had me run and get a different valve cover breather before he would sign it off.

Reactions: Clb
75 down is pre smog so far.
Payin $100.00 a year for smog????
that's more than the $8 the state gets every second year
HARD PASS!
once this one is certified it just goes to my $50.00 guy =$25 a year.
Once I find a pre smog titled body I might go to that...
Thanx Guy's
​​​​
​​

Last edited:
75 down is pre smog so far.
Payin $100.00 a year for smog????
that's more than the $8 the state gets every second year
HARD PASS!
once this one is certified it just goes to my $50.00 guy =$25 a year.
Once I find a pre smog titled body I might go to that...
Thanx Guy's
​​​​
​​

You can register it in a non smog county, that was fairly painless for me after I got my rig signed off by the ref. No smog for life.

It’s really not that difficult to understand.

You have to know a guy, be referred, etc. They don't exactly advertise. Guys that know how to do it are around down her in So Cal. I'm sure they're up there too. It gets done. The problem with that route is you have to fight the same fight every two years.

Wtf are you talking about? You do your swap, make an appointment with a smog referee, get it all approved with a fancy pants sticker, and go on with your life the same as any other car.

2bb.
ok here goes...

Once the engine "replacement" ( bar wording) is finished,

You make a call to the Referee, they do 20 questions to ascertain you are set to take the visual test (ie the engine is approved, emissions are present, you have documents of support for what you have, ect.)
In my case an 85 Toyota 22re in a 83 truck.
I had to send a pic of my ecm and current registration.
They send the info to the Referee and he calls you and does the 20 questions again (remember this is the P.R.K.) Once he sees you are good, he sets an appointment date\time and sends an email to ya.
You show up he checks document's, does a visual inspection, in my case (odb1) a 2 speed dyno\sniffer run, and checks for codes in the ecm.
Then goes and has a cup of coffee to make you sweat a little and comes back and stickers the firewall (this jewel contains a barcode and eng. Family\year ect. For smog jockies to calibrate to), hands you the paperwork and yer done.

Interesting. I did not get the 20 questions when I did mine, although I'm also not in the bay area. I just called and scheduled an appointment, brought it to him and he checked it all out.

FWIW, the earlier the swap the better. My referee guy said that latter model swaps 2000+ were almost impossible to get through, whereas the earlier OBD1 and prior swaps were relatively easy. Mine was a 1997 OBD2 and was able to pass.

Kevin

Yessir
I am blessed with living in the "9 bay area counties" section of the Smog Natzi heaven.

OBD2 to OBD2 is a real pain. Hardest part is finding a bone stock headpipe and exhaust manifolds to fit the engine into the chassis. Cat-Cons and O2 sensors CANNOT be moved at all.

I'm in process of doing a referee visit on a 5.9l Magnum from a '98 ZJ 5.9 Limited swapped into a friend's '97 TJ. Just waiting for all the monitors to run and set. My friend's wife keeps leaving the gas cap loose and setting a leak fault. (Cheezy aftermarket locking cap, I need to put a stock one on)

No way to do a Dodge Dakota or Durango or 1500 truck version of a 5.2l or 5.9l, the headpipe won't fit the narrow TJ chassis without modifying it, the ZJ 5.2l/5.9l one fits perfectly if you use a very short muffler. The ZJ exhaust manifolds also fit the chassis and body much better then the truck ones.

OBD2 Chevy swaps are about impossible now on TJs, not sure if any stock, UNMODIFIED GM headpipes and manifolds will fit.

You have to run an UNMODIFIED PCM/ECU. (Only mod allowed is eliminating the theft alarm)

The stock transmission for the engine package is considered part of the swap and must be used if controlled at all by the PCM.

The air cleaner needs to be the stock one from the package or have a CARB EO# if it's an aftermarket one. The EO has to be for the "Engine Family" of the swapped in engine. (I got lucky, the Durango 5.9l is the same engine family as the 98 ZJ 5.9, and the K&N setup fits well in the TJ with the passenger side air cleaner setup.)

I was talking to the Referee about it last year (Chi-Com Flu shut them down for a while, getting it certified has been on my back burner) The guy told me I need to have the following:

1) Paperwork for the donor vehicle matching the VIN in the PCM that shows it's certified for California from Chrysler. I was able to go to Jeep.com and have them send me a build sheet from the donor 1998 ZJ that shows it was built to meet CA emissions.

2) Also wanted to see the certification for the engine package, the EO Paperwork from 1997 when Chrysler submitted the engine package to CARB for certification. It is printable from the CARB's own website so that was easy.

3) He told me I need to take it to the Jeep Dealer and have them scan the PCM and verify it's stock programming. He was really vague about that, not sure if the build sheet will suffice or not. I'll also be bringing a Mopar DRB3 with me when I go for the referee test, it's the OEM scan tool, if I can borrow one from a buddy on the day I go. Maybe that will be enough for they guy. A technician friend of mine that still works at the dealership told me about the only thing they can do on a '98 is to scan it and get the part number, and "Maybe" re-flash it to the latest revised part number.

4) He also stated that the engine harness needs to be 100% stock from the donor vehicle. I made short adapter connectors and mated the ZJ harness to the TJ body harness. He told me about the head pipe, exhaust manifold o2 sensors, air cleaner, etc. mentioned above. Also need to have a cat-con with a proper CARB EO# for the engine package

5) The vehicle must pass a complete visual inspection, must have all OBD2 monitors ran and passed, must pass a BAR97 tailpipe test, forced EVAP pressure test and the new 2000+ type OBD2 computer scan test regardless of engine year.

One of these days, I'll do a complete write up of the swap and my adventures with the BAR Referee.

P.S.
Here's a direct link to the BAR's smog test reference guide, the Engine Change Guideline is in Appendix D and is on page 45:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Chec...ence_Guide.pdf

All of my adventures with the BAR were over 10 years ago. Like most agency's, your result vary greatly with who you are dealing with. Some of the ref's are outright dicks. Some were cool and helpful. IF you get a dick make sure you don't get sent back to them to retest.

Ummm
Well...
gunna go back and track the ramblings...
Fukkin smog natzi'

Brb

One of my crew has a sterling example of a "restomod" yuppie jeep version (no idea what's under the hood) jap german, us, donor, but it came from dodge once the owners...
Fail!
fukk the prk.
Has the air gotten better during the firestorm due to their regulation???

Top Back Refresh