What's new

New LS intake real deal or just hype?

NDCjeepsmith

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
SW Mo
What do all the LS masters think of this new intake from performance designs?

Supposedly the best offering for across board gains.

Question is, if this works as stated, is it worth $1k over a stock truck manifold.

It does look way better and seems to have a lower profile which I like.

XS LS3 ISO 1_4001.jpg

What engine does it go on? What are your power goals? What is your budget?

Rec port LS. General power gains for the general LS guy. Keeping increases in lower range where we need it seems to be a pretty specific setup if you start varying from stock.

Almost all intakes including stock LS3 aren't really setup for low end torque, this seems to break that mold so to say.

Seems like the go to for best low end and mid range is a BTR truck Norris and 706 heads with LS6 intake. Would this open up a window for other or better combos for low and mid?

Rec port LS. General power gains for the general LS guy. Keeping increases in lower range where we need it seems to be a pretty specific setup if you start varying from stock.
$1000 for very limited gains doesn't make any sense to me.
A different manifold is only valid if you have a stroker that requires more airflow than what the OEM intake can provide.

Almost all intakes including stock LS3 aren't really setup for low end torque, this seems to break that mold so to say.
I would disagree.
Holdener tested a ton of LS3 intakes and the OEM one did great under 5500.
It's also the one that did the highest avg tq and second best avg hp by 1hp behind the factory gen4 truck intake.

Seems like the go to for best low end and mid range is a BTR truck Norris and 706 heads with LS6 intake. Would this open up a window for other or better combos for low and mid?
LS6 intake isn't the best for low end torque TBSS is better. For cathedral ports, not rect.

I do have a TB LS2 but have a line on newer rect port alum block for cheap so was thinking the rect port (L76??? Im not an LS guru) was going to be a better one to go with for out of box power and future mild upgrades but maybe not.

To me it just seems like the truck and TB intakes are obnoxiously tall.

I do have a TB LS2 but have a line on newer rect port alum block for cheap so was thinking the rect port (L76??? Im not an LS guru) was going to be a better one to go with for out of box power and future mild upgrades but maybe not.
Depends what you want to do.

To me it just seems like the truck and TB intakes are obnoxiously tall.
Then grab a factory LS3 intake.

the factory LS3 intake is tough to beat with stock internals and stock head castings. I've run both the car and truck intake and dyno'ed with both. ls3 with BTR cam 229/244 .630"/.615" and gmpp ls3 heads. I didn't lose or gain anything torque or hp wise on the low rpm end, but going to the truck intake but I lost about 30 hp above 5k rpm. I do race with this buggy so it definitely spends quite a bit of time in that upper rpm range. I should probably put the car intake back on.

the idea that the truck intake makes more low end power than the car intake is an internet wives tale. and yes I've watched all of holdener's videos on a flywheel dyno with electric water pumps and no accessories.

Last edited:
the idea that the truck intake makes more low end power than the car intake is an internet wives tale. and yes I've watched all of holdener's videos on a flywheel dyno with electric water pumps and no accessories.
On the cathedral port heads it's true.
On the rect ones, LS3 car intake is the best.

Top Back Refresh