What's new

New HF band saw mount

Ummduh

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Northern SE WI
Picked up the new HF band saw mount.

I'm pretty happy with it, for the price. I do wish it had a vice on the horizontal position.

The plate it comes with for vertical use is pretty beefy.

Getting it to cut straight is a little finicky, the \/ adjustment is 3 bolts on back at the pivot, and of course as you tighten them the whole thing wants to move. Now that I think about it, replacing the serrated flange head bolts with a regular bolt and a washer would probably fix that issue.

Anyways, for $120, good buy, IMO.

I do have an actually good horizontal band saw with coolant and adjustable feed but I can't get it into my garage, so this is a good compromise. Plus now I have a "porta band" for other stuff. Except removing it from the mount means a bunch of fucking around to get it cutting straight again...

Seems like a better deal than the Swag offroad vertical stand.:smokin:
WAY better. That thing is way too expensive for what it is.

Cool thing is it's horizontal and vertical in the same tool. It does take up some real estate though because of that, if you want to be able to do both. Kinda cool thing is if you want only vertical, the base swings down so you could mount it right at the edge of the workbench in that mode, or just remove the horizontal part completely.

Not losing all the extra parts is probably gunna be an issue.

I decided on this one over the hf one

I decided on this one over the hf one

I was more interested in the vertical mode, doesn't look like that does that?

Sure looks like it beats a normal chop saw though

I was more interested in the vertical mode, doesn't look like that does that?

Sure looks like it beats a normal chop saw though
No just a chop saw. I didn't think id ever used the vertical mode, and this looked like a better chop saw

Seems like a better deal than the Swag offroad vertical stand.:smokin:

I could never get my SWAG stand to hold the band saw perfectly vertical. It's fine following a line on a flat piece but, anything round, I have to roll to get a straight cut. Kinda one of those things you learn how to work around over time.

Fuck that thing. I bought one immediately when they came out and with several hours in tinkering with it, it has never cut straight. Not fucking once. Its always crooked in at least one direction, more often in 2 directions. In theory it was a great idea. But it sucks. Even had an HF "engineer" who claimed to design it email me about my review and then the asshole left me hanging after sending him half a dozen pics and giving nice detailed descriptions of all its issues (and doing so in a semi-professional manner, not a rant). I'm not doing his job for him, so he can either figure it out or leave the customer alone. Their Bauer saw doesn't even fit in it correctly. And others on tool forums are finding out similar issues.

I was just looking at this because I think I'd get some use out of a vertical bandsaw

Is it one of those things you don't need, but if you have one you end up using it for everything?
Yes. Absolutely

Once you figure out how useful it is, it'll replace your angle grinder for anything you can shove down its throat. Quicker, cleaner, quieter, safer

You don't need to spend money on one of those stands either. Take the portaband, use it to cut a slot in your welding table, and wherever it bottoms out drill 2 holes to mount it.

Yes. Absolutely

Once you figure out how useful it is, it'll replace your angle grinder for anything you can shove down its throat. Quicker, cleaner, quieter, safer

You don't need to spend money on one of those stands either. Take the portaband, use it to cut a slot in your welding table, and wherever it bottoms out drill 2 holes to mount it.
My welding table is the 8x12ft steel bed of a 2008 Dodge 5500. 🤣

Fuck that thing. I bought one immediately when they came out and with several hours in tinkering with it, it has never cut straight. Not fucking once. Its always crooked in at least one direction, more often in 2 directions. In theory it was a great idea. But it sucks. Even had an HF "engineer" who claimed to design it email me about my review and then the asshole left me hanging after sending him half a dozen pics and giving nice detailed descriptions of all its issues (and doing so in a semi-professional manner, not a rant). I'm not doing his job for him, so he can either figure it out or leave the customer alone. Their Bauer saw doesn't even fit in it correctly. And others on tool forums are finding out similar issues.

Sounds like operator error to me :homer:

I bought one when they first came for $90 and use it with my Bauer portaband I bought a while ago. It takes a little tinkering to get everything adjusted perfectly, but mine cuts nice and straight like it should. It made my portaband more useful by an order of magnitude and I have been cutting up 3/16" plate no problem.

Top Back Refresh