What's new

new front locking hubs for D44?

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
Loc
Gilroy
After getting my willys back on the road again (new clutch), I've been putting miles on it, and today I noticed that somewhere along the road, I lost a hub!!

I drove all around where I had been driving the past few days, and didn't find it. So.... I need a new hub. The other side (which is still there), the entire chrome hub has about 1/8" of in and out play, and about the same amount of rotational play. The bolts are snug. So I'm figuring I should probably replace that one as well, even though it's always had that amount of play in it.

I don't know what vehicle the front D44 is out of, suggestions for replacement hubs? Will any D44 hub work? Any idea what brand this hub is?

willys_again.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	willys_again.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	710
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

hub_01.jpg

hub_02.jpg

willys_again.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	willys_again.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	710

Last edited:
Should be standard 19 spline stubs. I’d order a set for 73-87 chevy 1/2 ton.

Imo the only aftermarket locking hub worth a shit is the Yukons. The warn stuff is a joke, unless they changed something in the last 8 years, they may as well use plastic gears.

I had the Yukons on my 60, pure beef, but can be slightly temperamental to unlock sometimes.

those are the thinner ones, the Yukon's, right? Might go for them, the back spacing on my wheels leave the hubs sticking out a good bit... probably why the other one eventually worked loose, from getting hit.

Check G2 to see if they have some for your application. They are low profile and tough. Beat the living hell out of them on my D60 without ever an issue until I blew a stub shaft which took out the selectable hubs.

350 on propane, sm465, 2.71 t/c, 5.38 gears

those are the thinner ones, the Yukon's, right? Might go for them, the back spacing on my wheels leave the hubs sticking out a good bit... probably why the other one eventually worked loose, from getting hit.

those look like warns. Id buy yukon internal hubs for the correct spine count. 19 or 30.

might be selectro, look warn though.

Any internal 19 spline hub should work to my knowledge. So far I have had good luck with the Warn Premium hub on my 5.0L beater Bronco II on 38s with a Dana 44 front. It outlasted the mismatched Mile Marker that was on the passenger side anyways...

I have heard that the factory Ford early Bronco hubs are stronger than the majority of aftermarket hubs out there. I am not sure if that applies to the full size Bronco, F150, F250, and TTB hubs as well though. My father never broke one anyways on his old Bronco on 35s, but it didn't have a front locker and he didn't beat it very hard.

Based on what I've read, the Yukon Hardcore hubs are what I'd be looking at if I were in the market for hubs, but I have no personal experience with them.

Check G2 to see if they have some for your application. They are low profile and tough. Beat the living hell out of them on my D60 without ever an issue until I blew a stub shaft which took out the selectable hubs.

350 on propane, sm465, 2.71 t/c, 5.38 gears

I don't know about those G2 hubs. My cousin broke countless G2 hubs in both the 30 and 35 spline flavor on the Dana 60 in his F350. He had a lifetime warranty on them through 4Wheel Parts, but got tired of constantly breaking all the time on the trail and having to warranty them, so he went slugs.
IMG_2585.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2585.jpg Views:	15 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	1360

Last edited:
I agree with what YotaAtieToo said WARN isn't worth crap if you're wheeling hard, I went through 3 WARN setups, just weak! Only broke the one G2 all on same rig.
I just went with a set of slugs myself and this was the first time breaking a G2 which happened at Wolf Caves in TX, pretty brutal granite trails. I NEVER unlocked the hubs anyway so why have weak selectable hubs.

Depends on your needs of strength, for mild off road I suppose any ol' selectable will do.

I agree with what YotaAtieToo said WARN isn't worth crap if you're wheeling hard, I went through 3 WARN setups, just weak! Only broke the one G2 all on same rig.
I just went with a set of slugs myself and this was the first time breaking a G2 which happened at Wolf Caves in TX, pretty brutal granite trails. I NEVER unlocked the hubs anyway so why have weak selectable hubs.

Depends on your needs of strength, for mild off road I suppose any ol' selectable will do.

One trip, 2 different buddies had just done 35 spline Stubs and warn hubs. I think between the two of them they broke 5 or 6 hubs. I swear on my life I saw one break while the tire was off the ground, not joking.

Slugs are always sweet for simplicity, but we have a lot of dirt roads between our wheelin and staging areas, plus I like being able to unlock if something is broke or bent.

I'm pretty sure the Yukons are stronger than a side gear or probably all but the really high end shafts, so I don't see them as a weak point by any means.

those look like warns. Id buy yukon internal hubs for the correct spine count. 19 or 30.

might be selectro, look warn though.

I see an S, and maybe part of an E on there that hasn't been scraped off, so it was probably Selectro. My shafts are 19 spline, I'll order the yukons tonight. My jeeps gonna look funny with that bling. :laughing:

Last edited:
You can still find old spicer hubs on Ebay for a decent price.
I recently picked up a clean pair for $65.00 shipped
Much better that Warn or Selectro

Took a while, but I finally had some time put some new hubs on the front axle. Yukon hubs, very easy to install. Bling on the Willys :-D

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20201109_000816094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	342.3 KB ID:	191618

Top Back Refresh