What's new

New build, galil, or vz58?

aron82

Member Number
Loc
Casper, Wyoming
Feeling like I need to build a milled reciever Akish rifle after selling off 2 of my older Hungarian builds.
Have narrowed down to either a galil or vz58 on a tortort reciever. Vz58 would use an original bbl probably with a welded on brake. Galil would need a us made barrel.
Can go either way on 556 vs 7.62x39 this is going to be a range toy for mag dumps into trash.
I already have a waffenworks vz58 in beverbarf, but it's too nice to abuse. Already have mags for the vz, but galil mags are pretty plentiful and cheap right now.
Galil definitely has better sights. Galil is heavier though. By a fair margin.

want

18134295821_3104546c9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I really like short VZs
chop the front sight base off and weld it to the gas block, barrel continues past gas block for 3/4 inch or so, 0.160" gas port is slightly too large once it's got a KX3 on there

ETA: or build it out full length so you can have a stock and such

Definitely want a stock, so much less than 14" with a pinned brake isn't really on the table.
The ace stock on that vz looks pretty good, but thinking a galil stock on a galil is more better.
Hoping Animator will weigh in as I'm pretty sure he has built a VZ58.

Have you priced Galil bipods and carry handels lately?

I was going to build an ARM, but even with APEX's Black Friday deals on parts kits, after I tallied up the parts prices, I decided to just buy a "battle worn" JRA Gallant for less instead. I have enough "when I get around to it" projects already.

Annoyingly, I waited until they ran out of bipods and carry handels. JRA hasn't included them in over a year. To be fair APEX's parts kits don't include them either. When I was originally comparing prices though you could still buy a bipod for $60, they're $200+ now.

as I'm pretty sure he has built a VZ58.
As implied, done one on an old OOW (or maybe ORF) rec and a couple rewelds back when kits came with enough bits to reweld

they aren't really all that significantly different than pressed-barrel milled AK builds/rewelds
the galil will be a little tougher because it's got a threaded barrel in the rec, pretty sure you've gotta time it so the handguard retainer and extractor cuts line up

Someone on the old board did a x39 galil that was pretty damn cool.

Oh forgot to add, you don't need the barrel pressing jig like you do with a stamped AK, just a couple bits of flat stock works just fine

Been eyeing the jra galils. Not going to save any money by building a galil. Not too concerned about bipod and carry handle. They just add weight and if I am needing a carry handle and bipod, I have other options.
Might just have to stretch the budget and get both parts kits and do receivers when the budget allows.

Gozuki, what reciever did you use? Orf, Tortorella, or I've seen a few of the czech ones waffenworks used.
I'd be interested if you want to part with a full parts kit, depending on price. Kinda kicking myself for net getting a couple when they were cheap.

How was the tortort to build?
Built a fair amount of stamped aks when parts kits were cheap and plentiful, but never any milled.

I’d probably go with a Galil since I already have a vz58, and just suck it up on the price of the parts. I wish it were still 2005…

Me too animator, me too. Although the receiver market was the limitation then.
I'm pondering swapping the global trades reciever on my Bulgarian 74 for a Childers, just because of how much the parts kits are worth now. It was an unissued matching plum furniture with matching Bayonet. Prices have gone retarded on them. I have decided to strip my aks to a bare minimum as I don't find them as fun as I once did. They used to be cheap and dirty fun. Now that I have more to play with they aren't cheap and the fun has waned.
After more thought I am going to try to swing for both, but start with the galil.

I’ve been going through my AK builds and redoing them on Childers receivers for the same reason.

How was the tortort to build?
Built a fair amount of stamped aks when parts kits were cheap and plentiful, but never any milled.
Man, that was like 57 builds ago, lol. I don't remember any real hiccups with any of the VZ builds though. IIRC, that one was an 80%er so there was some minor milling and drilling. The ORF was 100%, but I remember being really unimpressed with the fit and finish.

Top Back Refresh