What's new

New Brownells gun

Ranch Hand

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Texas
I decided to try a BRN-180SH upper. 300BLK, 10" barrel. It's short-stroke piston driven and includes an "off" position on the adjustable gas block, making it a straight pull bolt rifle if wanted. I stuck this stock on it while waiting on a different lightweight one with adjustable length of pull, cheek piece height and recoil pad.

A 3X prism scope on top and with supersonics, it will probably be my hog gun.

111.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
6.jpg

What’s the word? Have you shot it?

I just went down and ran 40 rounds of supersonics through it to break it in. They recommend shooting 60 rounds before trying the bolt action only mode to insure easy extraction.

It works great. Easy shooting and no malfunctions. It throws the cases at about 4 o'clock. Locks back on the last round. It functioned fine in the "binary mode" too. The new stock is a huge improvement over the Sig minimalist one for magnified optics. It's still pretty small and lightweight but with the adjustable length of pull, cheek pad, and recoil pad you can get good cheek weld and eye placement.

I'm going through it checking everything over and I'll finish sighting it in next before trying the bolt action mode. I'm not used to seeing the upper receiver parts so clean after 40 rounds through a suppressor.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'm real happy with it. It was a little hard to extract the fired cases in bolt action mode for the first few shots then it loosened up. About the same amount of effort as extracting an unfired round. It's definitely quieter in that mode too. Shooting it in the open, away from trees it's extremely quite at the shooter's ears.

The handguard comes off with only one screw and the piston and cup are removable with fingers only.

The only negative is the lack of a dustcover. It gets carried a lot in the Ranger and it's pretty dusty a lot of the time. I think I might try a piece of painters tape over the ejection port -- I don't know.

PSA Jakl is another interesting one, has a scar type piston/bolt arrangement. Not sure what kind of reputation they have since hitting the market.

Top Back Refresh