What's new

NEW BRAUNFELS, TEXAS

jptbay

anointed
Member Number
Loc
Elsewhere
Will be in New Braunfels with the wife this June for a Wedding. Planning on staying 4 days over the weekend. Thursday to Sunday. Wedding is Friday. Other than the ceremony and reception, we won't be taking part in any other wedding activities, so there will be some time to enjoy the area. Never been to Texas except briefly as a teen, on a road trip. Going to fly in and rent a car.

Better to fly in to Austin, or San Antonio?

Good spot to pick a hotel?

I LOVE BBQ, and there is shit for good bbq where I live, so info about great joints would be awesome. Can't wait for good ribs and brisket.

Any tips on cool places, or things to avoid welcomed.

Thanks.

SA airport is closer but maybe 20 min closer. Just pick whatever is cheapest and best flight time. I would guess SA is cheaper.

Float the river in NB bring lots of beer. I always drink a lot more when floating. Just one of those mysteries that can’t be explained.

Gruene is a solid pick.

Schilterbahn water park is awesome.
Tubing on the Comol river.

I'm out on the BBQ scene but there should be plenty of good spots people will suggest.

new braunfels is literally almost half way between Austin and San Antonio.. measuring between airport locations

the question is how old are you and the wife??

6th street in Austin is great if ya'll are in your 20s.. or early 30s.. but its lots of walkin..

the River Walk in San Antonio gets better with age.. havent been there for a couple of years..

Last edited:
Hotel???? Why wouldn’t you stay at the hotel the wedding party picks?

If I was doing my own shit I’d stay in Gruene likely at Gruene Mansion Inn or Gruene cottage
They recommend several in New Braunfels, but I'd like to consider all options.

Fly into San Antonio. Do the river walk. Do the Alamo and downtown SA.

Salt Lick is decent BBQ if you’re ok with driving to Austin.

Fly into San Antonio. Do the river walk. Do the Alamo and downtown SA.

Salt Lick is decent BBQ if you’re ok with driving to Austin.
If you do San Antonio…. The Pearl is probably one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed at.

That said, I’m not a fan of San Antonio. It’s a huge crowd just eat at a few Mexican restaurants.

Hunt down DiesleMh and tell that fat motherfawker he needs to get his ass here.

At least I think that's where hes' from:laughing:

There's a good gun show in NB a couple times a year, but prolly not while you're there.

x2 on the Salt Lick. Get the all you can eat menu choice.

I agree the Salt Lick isnt that great for a tourist's expectations..

however Ive been to the one south of Austin (driftwood,tx) like 30 times in my life.. so I aint knockin the place..

but one of the best parts was the drive to the edge of the hill country.. and the fact that you usually had a group of people, just cuz..

are they all the same.. I've never been to the one in round rock..

other BBQ places that have much more fame will be found in small towns a little bit east and northeast of NewBraunfels..

BLacks BBQ in leander is a nice historical place for BBQ.. but they have a new location in New Braunfels..

Hunt down DiesleMh and tell that fat motherfawker he needs to get his ass here.

At least I think that's where hes' from:laughing:
He’s a couple hours further east.

Joe_w is out in the Austin area, along with a few others I can’t think of.

They recommend several in New Braunfels, but I'd like to consider all options.

Don't go to Austin. New Braunfels is 100 times better. Agree on hanging in gruene.

If you're a douchebag college frat boy or a gangster who wants to shoot people, then 6th Street is your place.

Catch a show at Gruene Hall or maybe river road ice house. It's worth it. Eat any other bbq other than Rudy's.

85538462-F6FE-4E92-96C0-FFA3B925D808.jpeg
EBAB2FFA-1631-413D-8ACD-6B2107AF413F.jpeg

I volunteer Arty as your official tour guide. He's gonna need to a spot in your hotel room if you need him for more than the day.

Top Back Refresh