Truck nerd
Member Number
Loc
SW WA
It's a 2023 KTM 150 XC-W.

PXL_20221111_232418232.jpg

PXL_20221111_232433715.jpg

PXL_20221111_234501234.jpg

I really started to miss moto. When I moved last year I didn't realize that living on one of the main routes into the local State Forest meant that dudes going riding would pass my house on most days. And I could be one of those dudes. There's a mile of asphalt above me, and then State forest. I'll be on the trails after a few more miles of gravel.

I'm also 100% sick of working on trucks. I suck at big projects, I'm not enjoying it at all, and I'm short on spare time. I'll be selling or parting out my wheeler project soon (hit me up if you want a Taco on built 9.5" axles w/new 39s and new duals and so much more. I'll cut you a deal. 😁).

I'm not in this for outright speed. I'll transit on gravel/dirt roads but the goal is to play around on technical trails. I'll eventually throw together some fun stuff on my property with the rocks and logs I have to work with. I'm 170-175lb fully geared up so this will be enough bike for what I want it to do. In retrospect I probably should have kept my 2011 200 XC-W. Live and learn.

Cool shit:
FMF Turbinecore 2.1 - some guys complain that it's too quiet, it's definitely quieter than the Turbinecore 2 and I like that.
KTM Map switch for snotty trails.
52t Super Sprocket - much needed.
KTM 52mm bar mounts that are taller than stock.
KTM 125/150 SX pegs that are lower than XC-W pegs.
Cycra hand guards because trees are mean.
KTM rear brake disc guard because rocks are mean.
Tug Job Straps for Tuggin'.
Mud flap roller to protect the swingarm.

To do still:
An OEM KTM clutch slave guard didn't fit for some reason, so I ordered an Enduro Engineering unit.
Cyclops 10.0 Ultra LED bulb ordered.
SAR Hi/Low headlight switch ordered.

It's still breaking in on my property and I'm not giving it the full beans yet. So far it lugs well enough, starting in 2nd on flat ground is no big deal. It doesn't have that tractor lug feeling of lots of rotating mass, but it's smooth enough off idle and under load to not stall. Power comes on with a nice slightly gradual hit that isn't too hard for a trail bike, compared an on/off race bike power valve feel. The 52t rear sprocket feels just right and first gear isn't even super low. It's still a noticably light 125-based chassis that's easy to ride, just like the 200. I could see someone overwhelm the bike trying to hit higher speeds through some gnarly chop but that's not the terrain we have around here and not how I plan to ride.

My main delay was that I had no gear left and had to run around town and/or order everything. But I decided not to cheap out and got Klim Gore-tex, waterproof Alpinestars, and a nice Bell helmet. I'm also trying knee braces for the first time since my knees have not been treated well and are showing it. So far they aren't really noticable while riding so I'll consider that a good thing. I did keep my Leatt neck brace which is in good shape. I know some guys debate neck braces but my previously broken C2 needs all the help it can get.

I'll get more hours on it here, change the gearbox oil and torque things down, then go sneak up into the woods. The trails are "closed" due to wildfire cleanup but there are no signs, no personnel, and a handful of 18" road cones across the road. That doesn't look closed to me. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
I stuck some tape on the Cycra handguard because the brake hose is rubbing it badly. I think I should try routing the front brake hose behind the handguard. The light mask is sightly pushed forward and I'll probably trim the top so it sits nicely under the guards with no interference, which could also help.

The previous couple bikes:

2011 KTM 200XC-W, a moderately built ex-race bike that was really dialled in. Perfect PNW woods bike.

IMG_20170421_192819.jpg

And before that was an XR400 I got for cheap, brought back to life, and sold for cheap to my uncle in Norcal who still has it. It's a family favorite. Way too heavy for my tighter trails, but perfect for where it lives now.

IMG_20161024_172731.jpg

That's a badass bike

Quieter is always better, only thing I don't care for about the Turbinecore 2.1. Is how much farther back it sticks out. Rocks are mean.

Need a skid plate and radiator braces an your set. I like the Unabiker guards

That's a badass bike

Quieter is always better, only thing I don't care for about the Turbinecore 2.1. Is how much farther back it sticks out. Rocks are mean.

Thanks! Winter is coming in quick this year so I'll realistically get to break it in and take it easy while I get back up to speed, and then by next spring I'll add some more protection when I get into more difficult terrain. Gifford Pinchot trails are rocky.

The stock plastic skid is actually pretty nice, but only really covers the frame rails. I'll get something with more coverage for sure.

And definitely radiator braces. I've dealt with a smooshed radiator before and it's not fun. I'll take a look at those Unabiker guards. I've only had EE guards before which worked well but fitment was a bit wonky.

They are pretty light. But I have no complaints. Tweaked one, but it had every reason to get tweaked

3 or so? I'll see when the warning light turns on which means that enough oil is left for one tank of fuel.
Speaking of tanks of oil, I did want to ask that. 150 is still TPI for 23 instead of the new throttle body system that just came out I'm assuming?

Speaking of tanks of oil, I did want to ask that. 150 is still TPI for 23 instead of the new throttle body system that just came out I'm assuming?

Yes, all XC-W bikes are still TPI. Which seems to work just fine according to everyone I know who has put many hours on them. And mine feels great.

The new TBI is only on the XC and SX bikes. Which have more changes too, including the composite subframe which seems to be universally hated among the trail riders I've heard from. Every one of them has broken at least one just laying the bike over. That's one reason I skipped a Husky Te150, another is the 6lb weight gain from the linkage. And then the TBI bikes have the new electronic power valve which could be cool but is completely unproven and has already had a couple bugs.

I also can't hear TBI and not think about GMT400 Chevy trucks. :lmao:

Last edited:
Didnt need to hear that. Seen an ad the other day for 150sx for $6500. It got me thinking

Didnt need to hear that. Seen an ad the other day for 150sx for $6500. It got me thinking

I'm curious what the mechanical engine differences are between the XCW and SX bikes... It has to be more than just tuning.

The rest of the chassis differences can be worked around easily enough.

If you are in the market, there are some rare good deals around on new bikes too.

Last edited:

I was emailing with Brian at Unabiker and he's wrapping up a new batch of 2023 KTM Braces today. He made a couple tweaks to work better on the new bikes.

Naturally, I had to order a pair. :smokin:

Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm curious what the mechanical engine differences are between the XCW and SX bikes... It has to be more than just tuning.
Transmission gearing mostly. I've seen that Yamaha documented that they changed porting on the YZ250x for a lower RPM powerband, but not sure if KTM claims that or not.

Transmission gearing mostly. I've seen that Yamaha documented that they changed porting on the YZ250x for a lower RPM powerband, but not sure if KTM claims that or not.

Oh yeah, and the gearbox. Maybe the clutch too?

I haven't ridden a 150SX but I've been told that, compared to the 150XCW, they feel like two completely different engines. Port timing changes would explain some of it. Power valve as well.

I don't have time now to check but comparing part numbers for cylinder, head, PV, etc could indicate what's different.

Maybe the clutch too?
Hm, You thinking like added an extra plate to account for riding styles more condusive to a lot of clutch slipping? I suppose it's possible but I kinda doubt it.
I haven't ridden a 150SX but compared to the XCW they supposedly feel like two completely different engines. Some port timing changes would explain some of it. Power valve as well.
Ok I forgot about power valve stuff. That can make an absolutely crazy difference. I'd guess just for economies of scale reasons the PV might be the long and short of it. But I'm often wrong about that lol

Hm, You thinking like added an extra plate to account for riding styles more condusive to a lot of clutch slipping? I suppose it's possible but I kinda doubt it.

Ok I forgot about power valve stuff. That can make an absolutely crazy difference. I'd guess just for economies of scale reasons the PV might be the long and short of it. But I'm often wrong about that lol

I was thinking of different plates or basket for a different feel, but I just checked and the PN's look the same.

They do have different pistons, and appear to have different cylinders.

The PV assemblies have so many components that comparing those numbers will take more time. I should probably do actual work now...

Was just thinking a guy could take an sx for $6500, throw a $1k at the suspension. And save near $3k over an xc or xcw

I should probably do actual work now...
quitter :flipoff2:
They do have different pistons, and appear to have different cylinders.
I'd bet money it's port timing and compression ratio then.
The PV assemblies have so many components that comparing those numbers will take more time.
I wouldn't bother. The power valve is all about timing and tuning rather than hard part differences, IMO. (how far open it is at what RPM, etc.)

The legendary "red spring" from old KTM 300s comes to mind:laughing:

I could wax for awhile about the different feels of dfferent 300s I've ridden over the years that boiled down to simple PV changes, but I don't want to shit up your thread too much :laughing:

Was just thinking a guy could take an sx for $6500, throw a $1k at the suspension. And save near $3k over an xc or xcw
Depends on personal powerband preference. I kinda think those engine tuning changes are just lip service, most guys (myself included) can barely feel or appreciate the minute differences such things make. But some think it makes all the difference.

I've also had very few times where I've been hung out to dry missing a very low first gear, but plenty of times where I wish I had a much longer high gear. The XCW package is really cool for having the versatility to do both. Though I'm personally more partial to the Semi-close XC transmissions because I'm a desert scrub. :flipoff2:

on the 300 I rarely ever used 1st. Always wanted longer legs on 2nd gear. A head change made all the difference

As long as I can get 60 miles outta a tank, Im good.
My 300 can go a lot further than I expected it to go on a tank. It made 85 miles on a couple of trips and still had fuel left. Probably would get close to doing 100 before starvation. I don't know the specs on the 150 but these TPI bikes sip fuel.

I can get 60 miles of woods riding outta the old 300 before hitting reserve, but its getting down there. That said, 60 miles of single track is about all I got before I am outta gas myself.

PXL_20221117_000838862.jpg

I bailed out of work early on Wednesday and rode around the property for a couple hours. I was checking out potential trails and mostly flopping around because nothing was really cut in or cleared.

Today I spent 5hr with a chainsaw and brush cutter. Tomorrow I'll go over everything and throw the branches out of the way. Might even get to ride things.

Oh and I cut a stump into a little booter jump which will be fun.

That's a sharp bike. Need to get some scratches on it

Does the top of the bottom triple clamp still have 2 tapped holes like on the older bikes?

That's a sharp bike. Need to get some scratches on it

Does the top of the bottom triple clamp still have 2 tapped holes like on the older bikes?

Gotta keep riding it more and getting back up to speed on a bike, but the woods aren't kind so it'll get plenty of lovin.

I don't think so on the clamp holes. I think it's just the bottom and front pairs for the fender...

Got the Unabiker radiator guards and I've been dealing with a small shitshow over them. He made a bunch of changes on them for the 2023 bikes but apparently overlooked the fact that only the 2023 KTM SX's and XC's changed; all the XCW's and EXC's are the same as 2022 and he should have sent me the previous model guards. We discussed my bike and he should have known better. I spent too many hours trying to get these to work and spilling coolant before realizing that he sent the wrong damn guards. And with the holiday he hasn't gotten back to me, though I can't fault him for that.

I picked up some Bulletproof Designs Gen2 guards locally and after unfucking things from the Unabiker guards they bolted on so easily.

I also grabbed some new tires. The stock Dunlops aren't bad, but they aren't very flexible and I had to keep dropping pressure to get them to bite. Back to my tried and true Goldentyres. Now to get them mounted up...

PXL_20221123_041359979.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh