What's new

Nevada to adopt Cali's Emissions standards

Nevada previously only had 2 (?) counties that followed the CARB bullshit, sounds like they are trying to roll it out statewide.

really had hope the 'rona would wipe out vegas :( pretty sad how quickly that place has fallen from a lawless cesspool in the desert to basically san fran off the ocean

Steve Sisolak is a fucking sack of shit. He raised millions of dollars for the mass shooting victims here and the money magically disappeared. I hope he burns in hell. I’ll be the first person to shit on his grave.

Sorry guys. That sucks for you all out there.

Just for quick reference for anyone looking. California requires emission testing on diesel trucks newer than 1997. And gas vehicles 76 and newer.

testing every other year. New vehicles are exempt. I believe first five years no testing. I think If the vehicle is 2000 and newer they just plug into obd2 port and do a visual. (I’ve never smogged anything newer than 1997 so I can not confirm.

Just for quick reference for anyone looking. California requires emission testing on diesel trucks newer than 1997. And gas vehicles 76 and newer.

testing every other year. New vehicles are exempt. I believe first five years no testing. I think If the vehicle is 2000 and newer they just plug into obd2 port and do a visual. (I’ve never smogged anything newer than 1997 so I can not confirm.

Only in certain counties, rural areas only smog with change of ownership.

Anything 1968 and newer requires an annual smog test in urban Clark and Washoe counties. That includes light duty diesels. That test is required every damn year too. Brand new vehicles don’t need to be tested until the third renewal.

This new requirement will most likely screw the rest of the state that does not have smog testing requirements if it goes statewide. Modifications to newer vehicles may become more of a challenge too.

Correct.

I was just posting the general bullshit that would be adopted in Nevada “if they follow California emission testing”. There are a handful of counties that only smog on transfer of ownership, some counties make you put your vehicle on a dyno for testing. Not sure how things like that would transfer over to Nevada. The general thing with California is diesels newer than 97’ and gassers newer than 76’ will be smogged.

So the two counties that already have emissions are more strict than California with the years required to go through emission testing and the frequency of tests. :(

No more modifying your shit out there unless you “know a guy” who will pass your vehicle or you feel like changing it back before testing every time. I wonder how long before manufactures say “not for sale in California or Nevada”. :mad3:

I wonder if SUMMIT will move?

As for 904 you only know about as much as you read.

You actually sound like somebody that is looking for details.

Feel free to go fuck off!

And some counties, like San Diego county have different rules in different parts of the county. In the urban areas you'll need an "enhanced test", in the less urban areas, where I live in Ramona, it's a simpler test (no chassis dyno), and in the far eastern areas no smog test until change of ownership.

Why ? Greed related most likely.

Reno and Vegas have been smog test for 30+ years, maybe expanding the counties affected.

Washo county smog wasnt this large in the late 80's to early 90's.
https://dmvnv.com/emission_areas.htm

why else? the people in charge want to seem progressive and caring for the environment, so they pander the largest population bases. reno and vegas.

Last edited:
why else? the people in charge want to seem progressive and caring for the environment, so they pander the largest population bases. reno and vegas.

Someone needs to tell them that screwing the poors isn't progressive.

Clark county was my only knowledge of having CAFE standards that are yearly inspections and it has progressed to basically a sensor clip on a plug wire no more tail pipe sensor I guess they realized people could just port out other ways. Ironically though most modern cars will not function without engine codes being thrown due to air fuel ratios I thought. Even after modifications thought it was impractical without a tune? Here in Florida they abolished the emissions testing about 20 years ago. And think about it there are nearly 23 million population state wide florida verse what 4 million state wide nevada? So sounds like the problem really is the cali transplants. Up next Colorado and Utah I bet.

Clark county was my only knowledge of having CAFE standards that are yearly inspections and it has progressed to basically a sensor clip on a plug wire no more tail pipe sensor I guess they realized people could just port out other ways. Ironically though most modern cars will not function without engine codes being thrown due to air fuel ratios I thought. Even after modifications thought it was impractical without a tune? Here in Florida they abolished the emissions testing about 20 years ago. And think about it there are nearly 23 million population state wide florida verse what 4 million state wide nevada? So sounds like the problem really is the cali transplants. Up next Colorado and Utah I bet.

dont forget texas

From the article in this morning’s paper:
Fourteen other jurisdictions have adopted the stricter California regulations: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and Washington, D.C. Two other states, New Mexico and Minnesota, have announced their intentions to adopt the regulations, as well.
The full article: http://bit.ly/2CC8yKF

The 1995 and older vehicles with ODB 1 is a spark plug wire like a timing light and the sniffer up the pipe. The wire clip is to get rpms since they test at 2 different engine speeds, not on a dyno.

1996 and newer with ODB 2 is a plug into the port under the dash to connect with the vehicle computer. They run the car at idle to scan the ecm for codes and check for visible smoke out the pipe. Still no dyno. And if the check engine light is on, immediate fail.

Diesels go on a dyno and they get run up to 45 mph or so with a sniffer up the pipe to check for opacity, smoke. I just did this test which is at least $40.00 plus the normal registration fees for the truck.

All results are directly transmitted to the state dmv.

There has to be a loophole, Just havent figured it out yet.

I wonder if SUMMIT will move?

As for 904 you only know about as much as you read.

You actually sound like somebody that is looking for details.

Feel free to go fuck off!

Feel free to go fuck off for what reason exactly? I have had to deal with this stupid shit in California my whole life. I’m not the asshole who wants this in Nevada as well, so I don’t get your hostility. :homer:

Feel free to go fuck off for what reason exactly? I have had to deal with this stupid shit in California my whole life. I’m not the asshole who wants this in Nevada as well, so I don’t get your hostility. :homer:

The hostility is probably because you aren't yelling, screaming, and foaming at the mouth against this. Never mind that all you did was present facts, that's irrelevant here.

When I lived in reno, we had to smog every year, gas or diesel vehicles but the emissions tests were much more relaxed than when I lived in ca. Thank God I moved to the midwest where no one gives a shit about emissions.

You guys are all talking about emissions standards, however that article reads like its more about promoting zero emissions vehicles. Things like pushing for more electric or CNG vehicles and making the overall gas emissions standards tougher for new car manufacturers. I didn't read anything in there about increasing smog testing of current vehicles.

Most new vehicles already meet california emissions regardless of what state you buy them in. They've pretty much done away with federal emissions vehicles as so many other states have started adopting california standards.

Kevin

Top Back Refresh