What's new

Need some advice..Panning for gold?

With a very quiet dredge.

I had several customers pre-ban in Sierra City that pulled an oz a day all summer and took the rest of the year off.

Most of the public places are hands and pans only(Auburn State Rec Area etc). It can be difficulty to find areas in the foothills that aren't claimed up, but it is possible. If you've got that creek in your backyard, I'd be spending some time down there.

Does he use the good hog mat? I use it in my huge sluice. Im happy with it, it catches some of my extremely fine gold. I am running way to fast way too small of box to even think about catching all the fine stuff. I’m just happy it catches some lol. Some day I’ll get it figured out to be more efficient.
Yes, I think he said he mostly uses Talon and the other one... umm, its discontinued... River hog or something? We've pulled microscopic gold out of here. Looking at the black sand through a legit full microscope and saw lots of micro pieces.
106145.jpeg

106033.jpeg

106034.jpeg

was that near c'ville? I saw your location, and now I'm debating if its worth in in my small creeks on the property
Yep, sure was. Google the Virginia Gold - Pyrite belt and see if you're along the line. Theres a few isolated veins turning up along the Rivanna as well.

Yes, I think he said he mostly uses Talon and the other one... umm, its discontinued... River hog or something? We've pulled microscopic gold out of here. Looking at the black sand through a legit full microscope and saw lots of micro pieces.
106145.jpeg

106033.jpeg

106034.jpeg

Yep, sure was. Google the Virginia Gold - Pyrite belt and see if you're along the line. Theres a few isolated veins turning up along the Rivanna as well.
I'm just east of town, according to the map just out of the area, but that just means it hasn't been found yet, might have to try my luck for grins

I've got some old prospects on my property out here on the east coast. Didn't know about any of it until I had already bought my place. A friend and I have been tinkering with it but its certainly no Comstock and Bonanza. Its fairly cool because there's remnants of an old stream sluice wall and I even found while metal detecting in the area what was left of an old 1800s miners pan along with a broken 2 man crosscut saw and some harmonica reeds. We ran a sluice that my friend built and didn't really find much worth talking about but my nephews had fun. I did find a spot with a bunch of blue clay with crushed quartz in it so we dug a few buckets of that and panned it and he gave a few buckets to his dad to run. His dad found a decent little picker in his bucket and then a few weeks ago I spotted some exposed bedrock along the stream bank so chased it back a few feet cleaning it into a bucket and found a nice piece.

As far as pans go, my buddy uses the Garrett stuff, but I like the stuff from a company in South Carolina - Maritn Prospecting. They sell a lot of stuff on ebay and I like the pans due to having an additional trap lip in the bottom that the Garrett stuff doesn't.

Some pictures, those are two different pieces shown.
20210919_122623.jpg

Ya'll fuckers are slacking. More pics of the MILF:smokin:

Well I guess I’m all set to go poke around on my property A bit. $30 worth of stuff from Amazon. Figure what the hell. Could be a fun thing to do with the kids.
37254BF2-1B51-4E52-97F4-B8F357D29A38.jpeg

Last weekend, dug a hole where an old bend in the stream used to be but it had migrated over at some point in history... ran about 2 yards of material with two people shoveling and drinking beer. Not a great haul but also not terrible. This is an addictive hobby. Found two pieces of smaller than 00 buck but larger than bird shot; they're visible there in the foreground next to that little quartz marble. Also they were tear drop shaped so thinking very old Rabbit / small game shot from 1800s.

20211031_124848.jpg

Last weekend, dug a hole where an old bend in the stream used to be but it had migrated over at some point in history... ran about 2 yards of material with two people shoveling and drinking beer. Not a great haul but also not terrible. This is an addictive hobby. Found two pieces of smaller than 00 buck but larger than bird shot; they're visible there in the foreground next to that little quartz marble. Also they were tear drop shaped so thinking very old Rabbit / small game shot from 1800s.

20211031_124848.jpg
Jealous your gold is so big! That would be easy to catch stuff compared to my shit. Most of mine is in the 100 mesh range :mad3: On a scale of 1-10 mine is damn near impossible to catch. Especially at 120 tons a hours.:flipoff2:

Jealous your gold is so big! That would be easy to catch stuff compared to my shit. Most of mine is in the 100 mesh range :mad3: On a scale of 1-10 mine is damn near impossible to catch. Especially at 120 tons a hours.:flipoff2:
120 tons per hour... sheesh! Wow!
The only legally permitted gold mine in VA is just up the road from me and he is crushing 50 TpH and is washing another 100 TpH. He's getting about a 1/4 gram per Ton on average he said. I don't know if its true but he's technically only legally allowed to run the old tailing piles. They just logged another area that was previously heavily mined in the 1890s and he's moving over there soon. The permit is actually for Mercury reclamation and he is keeping whatever gold is stuck to it.

120 tons per hour... sheesh! Wow!
The only legally permitted gold mine in VA is just up the road from me and he is crushing 50 TpH and is washing another 100 TpH. He's getting about a 1/4 gram per Ton on average he said. I don't know if its true but he's technically only legally allowed to run the old tailing piles. They just logged another area that was previously heavily mined in the 1890s and he's moving over there soon. The permit is actually for Mercury reclamation and he is keeping whatever gold is stuck to it.
That’s interesting. I was under the impression Mercury reclamation wasn’t used in the USA. First I heard of it was on Parker’s trail when he went to Australia and visited a mine using that method there. Yeah yeah I know, gold rush and the other discovery gold shows are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. And my son loves watching all the big iron working on those shows.

That’s interesting. I was under the impression Mercury reclamation wasn’t used in the USA. First I heard of it was on Parker’s trail when he went to Australia and visited a mine using that method there. Yeah yeah I know, gold rush and the other discovery gold shows are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. And my son loves watching all the big iron working on those shows.
He's been contracted by the DCR and DEQ to pull the old mercury that was used during that time for the method of gold mining and is now considered a toxin; it is in enough abundance that you can see it as the silver in the pan in my photos where it has attached to the gold. It is found in the old workings and anytime I do any larger quantity of material from one spot in the stream (several 5 gallon buckets or more). But yea, he's supposed to be collecting the mercury and giving it to the DEQ for disposal. He does it, but evidently has a method for burning off and recollecting the vapor which separates the gold that it has collected.

Top Back Refresh