Need longer inside calipers

IUsedtoBendCars

Professional Lurker
Member Number
Loc
Nevada
20211014_090804.jpg
20211014_090759.jpg

So I'm working on my backhoe power shuttle. Long story.
I need to ream this bushing to 1.375-1.376 inches. I bought a brake cylinder hone in hope's it works on it. My dilemma is my calipers aren't long enuff to get far enough in to get an accurate measurement. I tried to remove the little screw that is holding the calipers from going in farther, but it doesn't come out easily.
What google search term do I need to use to find longer arms on an inside caliper? Yep do my homework for me because what I've been looking for isn't working.
And yes I ordered another bushing in case this one gets screwed up:lmao:

Internal Dial Calipers

heres some cheapo ones

or some better ones

This is what bore gauges and mics are for.

If you're trying to deal with tolerances in the realm of what's aprioriate inside a transmission you really shouldn't be using calipers except for a few cases that lend themselves well to an accurate measurement.

If you're trying to deal with tolerances in the realm of what's aprioriate inside a transmission you really shouldn't be using calipers except for a few cases that lend themselves well to an accurate measurement.
This

That.

If you know how to use a mic, you can use snap gauges, but it takes some feel and finesse. If you aren't confident in that, bore gauges or the internal calipers above would probably be better.

That.

If you know how to use a mic, you can use snap gauges, but it takes some feel and finesse. If you aren't confident in that, bore gauges or the internal calipers above would probably be better.
I don't see how a snap gauge has any advantage over standard inside bore gauges in this application. They're more of an OD thing and mics are great for OD. A dial inside snap gauge is no better than a dial inside bore gauge and other than speed of use neither has much benefit over just mic-ing a bore gauge IMO.

I don't see how a snap gauge has any advantage over standard inside bore gauges in this application. They're more of an OD thing and mics are great for OD. A dial inside snap gauge is no better than a dial inside bore gauge and other than speed of use neither has much benefit over just mic-ing a bore gauge IMO.
Derp....I said snap gage and meant telescoping gage....because I've heard too many people call them snap gages. :homer:

The do "snap" when you release them. :flipoff2:
maxresdefault.jpg

Derp....I said snap gage and meant telescoping gage....because I've heard too many people call them snap gages. :homer:

The do "snap" when you release them. :flipoff2:
Yeah those are what I was thinking he should use. I was confused when you said snap gauge.
This

IMO there is no reason to spend that kind $$ on a set of telescoping gauges. A $50 Chinese set cleaned and oiled will be just as effective since you're gonna mic them all the time anyway.

Yeah those are what I was thinking he should use. I was confused when you said snap gauge.

IMO there is no reason to spend that kind $$ on a set of telescoping gauges. A $50 Chinese set cleaned and oiled will be just as effective since you're gonna mic them all the time anyway.
Yeah. I bought this set about 20 years ago. Was much cheaper then. They are super nice.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably do the inside caliper in the first reply and go for it.
Not sure if cheap version or nicer version is what I want

You can clean and polish the cheapies up to be acceptable (I have two sets) but once you use a Starrett or Mitutoyo you'll realize how shittiy the Chinese ones are.

But I guess the same goes for all metrology stuff. I scored a screaming deal on a bunch of nice Mitutoyo digital calipers and mics last year. Can believe how much nicer they feel over the imports I'd been using forever.

You can clean and polish the cheapies up to be acceptable (I have two sets) but once you use a Starrett or Mitutoyo you'll realize how shittiy the Chinese ones are.

But I guess the same goes for all metrology stuff. I scored a screaming deal on a bunch of nice Mitutoyo digital calipers and mics last year. Can believe how much nicer they feel over the imports I'd been using forever.
I've worked in a tool crib. I've used plenty of "nice" stuff. I am only ever tempted to pay extra for high quality angular precision (angle plates, squares, etc) or high quality slides (e.g. calipers and height gauges). For stuff like bore gauges, dial indicators, parallels, surface plates and mics the difference is so minimal it's not worth it.

That internal caliper still needs to be set with a standard or mics. If you all ready have the mics, snap gauges are much more useful. Also more accurate.

That internal caliper still needs to be set with a standard or mics. If you all ready have the mics, snap gauges are much more useful. Also more accurate.
The repair machinist in me says fuck standards. As long as I measure the fit e and fit er with the same mic I don’t care what it says lol. :flipoff2:

That said I don’t ever make shit to prints, it’s make this to work with that. I’ll check my mics with the standards they came with every 2-3 years lol

The repair machinist in me says fuck standards. As long as I measure the fit e and fit er with the same mic I don’t care what it says lol. :flipoff2:

That said I don’t ever make shit to prints, it’s make this to work with that. I’ll check my mics with the standards they came with every 2-3 years lol
Exactly. I'm making shit with the same mics I'm using to measure shit to decide what to make. As long as they are consistent it doesn't matter if they're accurate.

If you have lathe make a plug gage.
You can use a mill and boring head also if you don't have a lathe.

If you have lathe make a plug gage.
You can use a mill and boring head also if you don't have a lathe.
None of the above.
My brother was over tonight and was showing him what was going on. He called his neighbor who said bring it over. So no new tools for me and its going there to hopefully get done quickly and correctly.
Not sure how much its going to cost me yet though.

I like how Mitutoyo is offered as a non-import in this comparison.
Perhaps "preferred import" is more appropriate. :flipoff2:

I like how Mitutoyo is offered as a non-import in this comparison.
Perhaps "preferred import" is more appropriate. :flipoff2:

Japanese tools don't count as imports! :flipoff2:

Fuck, even Starrett has a line made in China now. :mad3:

None of the above.
My brother was over tonight and was showing him what was going on. He called his neighbor who said bring it over. So no new tools for me and its going there to hopefully get done quickly and correctly.
Not sure how much its going to cost me yet though.
So I got it back from the machinist. $50 later it's to spec. He said $40 but I only had a $50 bill and wasn't going to ask him for change :flipoff2:
And the guy was cool to boot. He's building up a full shop in a small garage.

And the power shuttle is now reassembled and waiting to go back in the backhoe.

Top Back Refresh