What's new

Need help with food selection for a surprise party for my wife

Toyoda

Member Number
Im doing a surprise party for my wife, need help with food selection and how much to make.
Approx 50 people, kids/adults.
Planning on BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs but I don't know what sides or how much to make. I was thinking about potato salad, chips. For desert we will have cake (costco) and strawberry pizza.
-What else would be good, what do I need? Any recipes and how much to make?

Its this Saturday...

Anymore when we party it's smoking ribs, chicken wings, chicken breasts, whatever fits on that smoker!

But, in light of sides, there's tons of options for summer parties. Macaroni salad, potato salad, homemade coleslaw if you guys eat it on burgers like we do, stuffed peppers, hobo beans, ham and bean salad, deviled eggs, and then you could always have dips in crock pots like buffalo chicken dip, stuffed pepper dip, Rotel dip, etcetera.

My wife makes homemade smokey mac'n'cheese when I do ribs. It's a great combination.

best easy party with eats i ever did was a couple cases of frozen smoked turkey legs and a couple cases of corn. no plates no messes. left the corn in the husk on the smoker for a few hours and the same for the turkey legs. just go by and grab one. butter , mayo and the fixings by the smoker for the corn.

best easy party with eats i ever did was a couple cases of frozen smoked turkey legs and a couple cases of corn. no plates no messes. left the corn in the husk on the smoker for a few hours and the same for the turkey legs. just go by and grab one. butter , mayo and the fixings by the smoker for the corn.

Wait...wut? Mayo on corn on the cob? :barf:

Call your wife's 2-3 closest friends and ask them to take over.

It's the only logical solution.

hqdefault.jpg

I vote pig roast.

yep you need some wimmen help or your wifes bday party is going to look like a frat house :laughing:

Focus on the grilled stuff and let the women delegate the sides and shit. Way easier and you'll end up with a bunch of good stuff in crock pots and every dip/salad/side imaginable and you'll only have to grill a few burgers and dogs in the end :smokin:

At least in my experience

Focus on the grilled stuff and let the women delegate the sides and shit. Way easier and you'll end up with a bunch of good stuff in crock pots and every dip/salad/side imaginable and you'll only have to grill a few burgers and dogs in the end :smokin:

At least in my experience

This. Sides and deserts are for the ladies to take care of. Make it potluck style.

If you must make some sides. German potato salad is fucking awesome. Corn on the cob is a plus. Greek salad is always a hit.

2 bricks of cream cheese with tons of mini shrimp on top covered in spicy cocktail sauce. Serve with ritz crackers. Amazing!!

Kids loooove strawberries and dip. Dip consists of 2 pkgs philly cream cheese to one container of cool whip. Mix with mixer thingy. Lots of strawberries. Trust me, ive been to a dozen parties in the last two months and this is the first thing gone.

So first lesson learned, when I was making the calls yesterday I told everyone I would take care of all the food.......

Here is my proposed menu
BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs
Crockpot meatballs in bbq sauce, can put in pineapple to be fancy
Crockpot lil smokies in bbq sauce
Chips
Salsa with cream cheese
Crockpot nacho cheese, cause I like nachos.
Green salad, hopefully I can use the bag salads for simplicity.
Watermelon
strawberry with dip ala Fishbone333.

To me it looks good, but I can see there isn't the female touch to it.
I was able to secure a Port a Cool to use, cause its hot where I am at.

Guests are all close friends and her friends, along with their kids. Half the guests are kids.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh