What's new

Need help removing Toyota L52 input shaft

lagunaMS

4 by drive
Member Number
Loc
Dixie
83 SR5 pickup, 22r, L52 5 speed

My trans left me stranded a few months ago and I have since acquired another one. The old one was recently rebuilt so I need to swap that input shaft and bearing into the replacement trans which has a bad input bearing

I'm trying to avoid taking this thing completely apart and according to the FSM I shouldn't have to. It says I can just remove the countershaft bearing, which I did no problem. After that it says to lay the countershaft on the bottom of the case:

l52 fsm.png

I tried moving the counter shaft around, I tried hitting it, etc and can't get it to set down on the bottom of the case out of the way so I can't get the input shaft out. It will move around some but not enough.

Also tried hitting the backside of the input bearing as it said and it won't come out.

What am I fucking up here? I know worst case Ontario I can bring it to a trans shop and let them deal with it, but I'd rather do it myself if possible. I'm ready to drive this shit box again

I think the gear is larger than the bearing hole. Pretty sure you have to pull the rear stuff first. Bearing replace, and input shaft removal are 2 different things.

I think the gear is larger than the bearing hole. Pretty sure you have to pull the rear stuff first. Bearing replace, and input shaft removal are 2 different things.
Well fuck, I guess I have a lot more work ahead of me

The counter shaft goes all the way through the case. You'll have to at a minimum pull everything outside the rear of the case (5th) to push the shaft in from the front.

I'm not 100% on this as I told you I thought the input shaft with bearing would come through the bearing hole, but you might just be able to split the case at the center plate and pull the front half off. Meaning, just pull all the bolts out of the center place and CAREFULLY pry the front case away from it. After removing the shift cover of course. It's been a long while since I've done this job on an L52. Is there a snap ring on the inside of the input shaft bearing? If not, I've pulled 'other' brands input shaft bearings with heat and prying on the snap ring groove in the bearing with a couple of flat screwdrivers/prybars and pulling the bearing off the shaft while it's still installed. Would not recommend that operation unless you've done similar things in the past as things could break.

The counter shaft goes all the way through the case. You'll have to at a minimum pull everything outside the rear of the case (5th) to push the shaft in from the front.
Thanks for clearing that up, I've never tore into a trans before.
I'm not 100% on this as I told you I thought the input shaft with bearing would come through the bearing hole, but you might just be able to split the case at the center plate and pull the front half off. Meaning, just pull all the bolts out of the center place and CAREFULLY pry the front case away from it. After removing the shift cover of course. It's been a long while since I've done this job on an L52. Is there a snap ring on the inside of the input shaft bearing? If not, I've pulled 'other' brands input shaft bearings with heat and prying on the snap ring groove in the bearing with a couple of flat screwdrivers/prybars and pulling the bearing off the shaft while it's still installed. Would not recommend that operation unless you've done similar things in the past as things could break.
Thanks, I'll have to check your texts to see what the 3rd trans's issue was but I remember you saying it had a bad output shaft. If that one has a good input shaft and bearing, then swapping outputs will be less work...I think. I should also just try replacing the top cover on the original trans to see if that solves the stuck shifter issue, and maybe I'll be able to avoid taking them any further apart than they already are

Minor update if any other dummies attempt this, make sure you read the whole FSM disassembly process that clearly says to remove the transfer case adapter and a bunch of shit under it before you can lay the countershaft on the bottom of the trans case. After I did that the input shaft popped right out, along with it's retainer clip, bearing, and synchro. I didn't have to remove the bearing at all as I initially thought.

I got it swapped over and am in the reassembly phase now. I'm using the input shaft/bearing from my trans on the better of the 2 trannys I got from IowaOffRoad and swapping the output shaft sleeve from my trans on the other trans I got from him. Whenever I'm done the better of the 2 is going in the truck and I'll have a working spare trans, plus the case and random parts from mine.

Top Back Refresh