What's new

Need dimensions! JD2 Model 32 Bender!

I drew up DXF files for the JMR bender some years back. I still have them somewhere.

Why not go with the Got Trikes plans and build one of those for cheap money if you are on a tight budget? The excuse about dies not being available in the future is invalid. You can still buy them now and how many different size dies do you think you will need in your lifetime? I built this one over 20yrs ago using Got Trikes plans, some pin stock from McMaster and drops from the local steel place for under $200. I just used it a few nights ago to build a seat bracket with a die I bought 15yrs ago.....

20240420_140956.jpg

Why not go with the Got Trikes plans and build one of those for cheap money if you are on a tight budget? The excuse about dies not being available in the future is invalid. You can still buy them now and how many different size dies do you think you will need in your lifetime? I built this one over 20yrs ago using Got Trikes plans, some pin stock from McMaster and drops from the local steel place for under $200. I just used it a few nights ago to build a seat bracket with a die I bought 15yrs ago.....

20240420_140956.jpg
And absolutely don't buy a die that your buddy has... We all have the same shit, it would be really nice to borrow the die you need for one off projects instead of every due costing you $300+

And absolutely don't buy a die that your buddy has... We all have the same shit, it would be really nice to borrow the die you need for one off projects instead of every due costing you $300+
I will second this
I have a close fab friend, we will not buy dies without checking with the other guy first. Same deal, no point if both of you having the same stuff

I'd like to see someone come out with a set of plans for laser cut bolt together dies and post them on the internet.

At the very least that should drive the cost down through competition.

I'd like to see someone come out with a set of plans for laser cut bolt together dies and post them on the internet.

At the very least that should drive the cost down through competition.
Would be real easy to do. If you used real thin gauge steel for the bulk of the middle section, you wouldn't even need to worry about all the small steps.

This is 3 hours away but I saved it several weeks ago… I thought it was an OK deal even without a die I require

On the Amazon link does that use JD dies?
Guys I started digging into this more as something was off with this ad. Can you use Model 32 dies in a Model 3?
This bender doesn't have the "spring back" arm on it... so there is no way it's a Model 32 correct?
The dies are stamped 32 but I'm not even sure if this unit has been used?

Guys I started digging into this more as something was off with this ad. Can you use Model 32 dies in a Model 3?
This bender doesn't have the "spring back" arm on it... so there is no way it's a Model 32 correct?
The dies are stamped 32 but I'm not even sure if this unit has been used?
You can use 32 dies in a 3 just have to sleeve the center pin hole.

Correct on the springback pin missing on the 3.

You can use 32 dies in a 3 just have to sleeve the center pin hole.

Correct on the springback pin missing on the 3.
Used value just dropped significantly for me. Seller is asking $1200 ($830 freedom bucks) so that doesn’t really seem worth it for dies I’m not going to use (1” and 1.125”) Seller hasn’t responded to any questions so it might not even be available

That may or may not work. Benders I had in the past like the one OP is talking about, use half dimensions not whole. What I mean is, their 1 3/4” tubing die has a radius of say 5.5”. I sold all that stuff for the JMR for two reasons. One, their arms are strong enough to bend serious thick wall DOM tubing. Secondly, their dies are whole number radius measurements i.e. 1 3/4” tubing die with a 5” radius.

I highly doubt the dies will be interchangeable between different brand benders. Could be wrong but doubtful.

The reason I wanted whole number radius dies was for my tubing bending radius gauges. They’re made only for whole number radius dies.

My boss
That may or may not work. Benders I had in the past like the one OP is talking about, use half dimensions not whole. What I mean is, their 1 3/4” tubing die has a radius of say 5.5”. I sold all that stuff for the JMR for two reasons. One, their arms are strong enough to bend serious thick wall DOM tubing. Secondly, their dies are whole number radius measurements i.e. 1 3/4” tubing die with a 5” radius.

I highly doubt the dies will be interchangeable between different brand benders. Could be wrong but doubtful.

The reason I wanted whole number radius dies was for my tubing bending radius gauges. They’re made only for whole number radius dies.
Well yeah of course. I meant that if you have a buddy with a JD2 bender and 1 3/4" die maybe don't buy the exact same die/bender he has offer to buy alternate size and then you could swap out and double your die count. This might be more applicable to fringe sizes, 1" square, 1.25" 1.625" etc.

Top Back Refresh