What's new

Need another car, part 3

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Something up to 30-35k range that holds it value well, reliable, not a gas guzzler, and has a cool factor. Doesnt have to be new, but hopefully under 30-40k miles

Tacoma? Mojave? 4runner? infiniti q60? lexus IS? Miata nd? mustang/camaro (bit of gas guzzler)

​​​​

​​​​

nothing fits the bill.

buy something old that somebody has recently done a frame off rebuild on. it'll be cool, it'll probably hold value decent, it will guzzle gas, comparatively.

but it will be cool

nothing fits the bill.

buy something old that somebody has recently done a frame off rebuild on. it'll be cool, it'll probably hold value decent, it will guzzle gas, comparatively.

but it will be cool

I'm with this guy 👆👆👆

nothing fits the bill.

but it will be cool

like what..? Id love an early 70s firebird, something like that?

there is nothing new that holds its value well.

Your choices are to buy newish and enjoy it while it drops in value or buy a shit box.

I have done both, I really prefer the newer shit that drops in value. YMMV

there is nothing new that holds its value well.

Your choices are to buy newish and enjoy it while it drops in value or buy a shit box.

I have done both, I really prefer the newer shit that drops in value. YMMV

by well I mean reasonably well. Not Audi BMW ir Range Rover well

Don’t know what your definition of gas guzzler is but the Tacoma and 4Runner will get around 15-17mpg combined.

by well I mean reasonably well. Not Audi BMW ir Range Rover well

I am super fucking happy with my 2014 IS 350 for $23k
lexus.jpg

I don't know if this applies, but years ago I drove a 72 LTD to AZ to sell for a friend of mine. It was too good to turn into a derby car, which is what it would have been bought for if sold here. The guy who bought it was replacing a early 2000's Tahoe. Said if he was going to get 12mpg, he was going to do it in something cooler. Thought it didn't apply to that car, but what do I know?

If you want reliability, mileage, and cool, can you find a Datsun Z car, early Supra, or Celica GT that's not a rust bucket in your part of the country? Values are going up on the Japanese sport cars. Should be pretty reliable. BMW Z3? Do you need passenger space or carrying capacity. JDM diesel 4x4 SUV from the late 80's/ early 90's (Mistu, Toyota, Nissan)?
Turbo Thunderbird, Buick GN, Pontiac Firebird Formula with the supercharged 3.8L (think 1989)? How about a Mustang SVO with the turbo 2.3L? As the true musclecars have become unobtainium, these are increasing in value. Parts are still pretty available too.

Most of the options I gave above should fall under 30-35k (some well under) but are on track to increase in value, or at least hold it, in the near future.

Nothing old guys. Vehicle will be used daily by someone, and needs to be modern. Hence under 30-40k miles, which ttanslated equals 3-4 years old, not 50 :flipoff2:

Nothing old guys. Vehicle will be used daily by someone, and needs to be modern. Hence under 30-40k miles, which ttanslated equals 3-4 years old, not 50 :flipoff2:

I daily drive stuff 30+ years old all the time, to the tune of 300+ miles a week. If it's not junk when you get it, and you maintain it, no problems. Cost of ownership is much less as well.
Now, if it's used by someone (not you) that changes things. I would assume that you have the ability to keep an older vehicle maintained, but perhaps not the intended driver?

Tesla model Y. You're in SOCAL so charging isn't an issue. All the kids will think they are cool (and they are, just not into measuring dicks with watts, sounds painful).

I daily drive stuff 30+ years old all the time, to the tune of 300+ miles a week. If it's not junk when you get it, and you maintain it, no problems. Cost of ownership is much less as well.
Now, if it's used by someone (not you) that changes things. I would assume that you have the ability to keep an older vehicle maintained, but perhaps not the intended driver?

Tesla model Y. You're in SOCAL so charging isn't an issue. All the kids will think they are cool (and they are, just not into measuring dicks with watts, sounds painful).

I have the ability to keep it maintained, but the driver wouldnt enjoy it very much (he is a car guy, but it needs to be more comfortable than 1972).

Now the tesla model y - you have my attention. msrp standard range shows 39.9k - were you suggesting new? how is their reliability? resale?

I have the ability to keep it maintained, but the driver wouldnt enjoy it very much (he is a car guy, but it needs to be more comfortable than 1972).

Now the tesla model y - you have my attention. msrp standard range shows 39.9k - were you suggesting new? how is their reliability? resale?

Someone more knowledgeable than me about Tesla should chime in, I just test stuff like this in development. I will say mechanically you shouldn’t have issues. Tesla is good about software updates. Because of the backlog of people wanting one, probably good resale value for at least 5 years. Plenty of gov’t tax credits should drive the price down 10-20k right off the bat. Software will probably be the biggest issue, just like every other car built today. That being said, dump it before the battery life cycle is up, and the potential owner better have a garage to park it in with a rapid charger installed if long trips between charges are in your future. Overall, the Tesla is probably the only mainstream electric car you should buy right now if going fully electric for the reasons I’ve listed, but in 4 years things may change.

Someone more knowledgeable than me about Tesla should chime in, I just test stuff like this in development. I will say mechanically you shouldn’t have issues. Tesla is good about software updates. Because of the backlog of people wanting one, probably good resale value for at least 5 years. Plenty of gov’t tax credits should drive the price down 10-20k right off the bat. Software will probably be the biggest issue, just like every other car built today. That being said, dump it before the battery life cycle is up, and the potential owner better have a garage to park it in with a rapid charger installed if long trips between charges are in your future. Overall, the Tesla is probably the only mainstream electric car you should buy right now if going fully electric for the reasons I’ve listed, but in 4 years things may change.

solid post. thanks.

Don’t know what your definition of gas guzzler is but the Tacoma and 4Runner will get around 15-17mpg combined.

Do you suck at driving?

I get about 19-21 in my 2020 taco. Obviously I don't put my foot into it often, but it's not that bad of mpg

Do you suck at driving?

I get about 19-21 in my 2020 taco. Obviously I don't put my foot into it often, but it's not that bad of mpg

Nope. Drive 80-85 everywhere. Tacos and 4Runners love fuel. Tundras love it even more.

How on earth is a Tacoma that gets teens for gas mileage (from data in this thread) "not a gas guzzler" but a V8 Camaro that is supposed to get mid 20's (from fueleconomy.gov) "a bit of a gas guzzler?" Is a Tacoma that much cooler than a V8 Camaro to OP?

OP didnt mention need for a functional back seat. So my answer is to find some creampuff C5 with 30k miles owned by Gramps for lets say 20-25k, and save the 10k so you never have to work on it. Having owned a C5, there isn't much that'll go wrong, its a Corvette so eventually it'll be worth money again, and mine returned 29mpg from AZ to IN with the cruise set at 85 the whole way.

Big V8 + Deep overdrive = fun, economical, holds value and will always be cool.

Top Back Refresh