What's new

Need a subaguru...

Deleted Member

So the wifeys subi has needed a bunch of maintenance lately... 2005 non turbo forester. Great little car, but the temp gauge in the cluster isn't working. I know it's just a 3 position gauge- cold, normal, head gasket blown.

So after replacing the timing belt, and water pump I want to get this working! I replaced the thermos with a Subaru oem and replaced the temp sending unit (pia, under the coil pack and a big ass mess of harnesses)… am I missing something or do the gauges in these go bad?

Halp.

Also got new brakes, fixed the drivers side window motor (made me want to punch a baby dolphin in it's blowhole), fixed 3 or 4 leaks... blah.
Only item left is the stupid temp gauge fix.

Entirely possible I'm thinking of a 1932 Crosley instead of a Subaru, but... seems to me that the ECU and the gauge have two seperate senders. You might google it.

Entirely possible I'm thinking of a 1932 Crosley instead of a Subaru, but... seems to me that the ECU and the gauge have two seperate senders. You might google it.

I tried that... but the info is all over the map on these. I think the pre 2003 had two... and apparently the 2003-2007 have just the one sending unit on the crossover pipe that is a 3 wire and runs to the ecu AND the gauge. Maybe I will pull the gauge and reset the plugs.

There's only one sensor on them. 3 wire deal, one reference, one to the ECM and one to the gauge. I'd check data if you can and see if the ECM is seeing the correct temp. If it is that would tell you the reference voltage and the sensor itself are most likely ok.

Thanks... I am kind of thinking it is the gauge. Theres no check engine light nor codes popping up.

Top Back Refresh