What's new

Need a new mattress. Help!

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
Going to bed tonight I noticed my mattress is leaking. Yes it’s leaking. I’m done with having a water bed. Tire patches in the middle of the night, burping air out of the thing, not being able to move this heavy pig. Done. The frame is falling apart and the novelty has long worn off.

Ive had one for most of my life, and don’t know squat about any other mattresses. Zilch.

I'm 6’ 4” and current mattress is 62” x 84”. I need the length and cal queen would fit the bill perfectly, but extremely limited selection and good luck finding sheets for em on the cheap.

So looks like I need a cal king and to get rid of some furniture.

looked at the purple brand, leesa, Casper, tuft and needle, as well as the ghostbed brand.
I found these other brands based on a review article about purple.

Anything to stay away from? Anything else that should be on my radar?
trying to keep it cheap as possible. Anything is probably better than the current setup. It’s bad timing financially speaking, but I’ve known this was coming for about a year now. Time to pony up and get something new. Should I go for 0% if I can get it? Or is there a catch I’m too stupid to see?

I know I ask a lot of questions and usually end up giving my self the answer in the process. :homer: But I’m lost on this one. It’s 3am and I’m researching mattresses and running around the room with a tape measure like a maniac. :laughing:

Whatever the one everyone recommended on the other site from amazon is the one I got and 6 months in its awsome.

I’m 6’4” and I fit on a standard Queen just fine. Can’t help you with bed type but queen is cheaper than a cal king as well as sheets

We got the Zinus Green Tea because of the other thread (flecker's thread I think). We also got the 2 inch blue gel top thing. It's sitting on a zinus frame/boxspring thingy (which is awesome and silent).

It's been about 2 years I think and am super happy with the setup, and it was cheap.

Mattress was incredibly stinky for the first 2 weeks. We opened it up in a spare room and just left it there with the windows open.

I think I'm as happy with the whole setup being totally silent as I am with the great sleep. Back feels better as well.

I've had the Amazon special for a few years now. No complaints

We got the Purple bed based on reviews, price and the fact we could get 100% money back if we didn’t like it. We’ve been happy with it for the past almost 4 years we’ve had it. The metal base they sell is a perfect height for the dog to stretch out under the bed, but the base squeaks horribly every time I get out of bed - if you go the Purple route don’t bother with their frame.

Beautyrest black hybrid Jennings.
Not cheap. I had no idea a bed could be this comfortable. I was down with purple but my wife said it felt unstable under her. She said she felt like she was gonna fall. She's the one who has problems sleeping, so I left it totally to her. Of course we ended up with the most expensive bed in the store.

We went to mattress firm and laid on beds for an afternoon. Nothing wrong with 0%, just make sure you pay it off early.

Edit: I just have cheap squeaky folding frame, but welded it up so it's quiet

Last edited:
I went to the local furniture store for our mattress last year. I am very happy with what we got. I asked the guy showing us around about the mail order mattresses (purple, casper, etc.) It turns out there's a ton of mattresses in that vein. I ended up getting something a little more expensive, but it came with a frame box spring thing amd they delivered it and dragged it inside for me so I think I about broke even.

We've got a purple mattress, and I built my own 'box spring' replacement out of 2x8's and 1x2's.... Aside from the 1x2's squeaking, it's a pretty decent mattress.

Amazon special here. Latex bed. Cali-King. It's like 18" thick. Been using it for about two weeks. Love it. Something like $515 too. Wasn't bad.

I am 6'4" and switched to a cali king and will never go back to a shorter mattress. The main issue is sheets and such you can't just get them anywhere you pretty much have to order them. I went with a mattress from Brooklyn Bedding and have no complaints.

We recently upgraded to a king size bed, bough a zinus king size bed frame and 8" zinus mattress. Couldnt be happier. We had a queen size zinus mattress before the upgrade, and we have a zinus pillow top over our mattress in our travel trailer. Eventually we will upgrade the mattress in the rv to a zinus as well.
Screenshot_20200614-090204_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'm in need of a bed upgrade. Do these foam mattresses get hot? I sleep in a room kept below 70 degrees with a thin blanket as I sleep very hot.

Original Mattress Factory. If you have one near you go and lay down on some. We ended up with a two sided Queen that we have been very happy with from the get go. Box spring was build way better than any I've ever seen. Made in the USA in fact made in my State.

+1 for zenus

We got the hybrid, memory foam and spring. We have had it almost 18 months and love it. ~$400 delivered for a king. We looked at a well known local place who builds them in house, but $1600 and 6 week wait wasn't appealing.

Then we looked at Tempur-Pedic and those fucks are out of there mind, $10k for a memory foam? :lmao:

We also heard to avoid getting zenus from Amazon, because some people had issues with mold from Amazon storing them incorrectly or too long. ​​​​​​

I bought a Stearns And Foster 15 years ago. It was a lot of money but, it's been one of my best investments. You spend a good 25-35% of your life in your bed. A good night sleep is a critical part of health. It's worth the money to buy a nice bed. I have tried the bed in a bag things. It's just not the same. Everyone who has ever slept in my bed has commented on how well they slept or how comfortable it was. I'm a pretty firm believer that you get what you pay for with a mattress.

Just looked it up. It's the Reserve Hepburn PT Plush.

edit: Also just read they seem to be for side sleepers with bad backs (which I am) and not for fat people (which I'm not). So that's probably an important bit of info.

Last edited:
Based off the last PBB thread, I picked up the $300 Zinus green tea mattress (skipped the topper). 2 years and it's still holding up decent, at this rate I'll just buy a new one every few years instead of going with an expensive one. https://www.zinus.com/products/gree...-relief-queen-mattress?variant=15075687071807

Latex memory foam is supposed to last the longest but you're going to be paying something like 1500 for it.

I bought a bed frame from this place, if the looks work for you its real actual solid wood at shitty particle board IKEA prices: https://kdframes.com/collections/beds

I'm in need of a bed upgrade. Do these foam mattresses get hot? I sleep in a room kept below 70 degrees with a thin blanket as I sleep very hot.

This is a concern for me as well. I have bad night sweats from chemo. And I have no ac in my room. And I live in Fresno. The water bed was kept around because I could turn the thermostat on it way down and sleep cooler. And warmer in the winter months because the room also doesn’t have working heat.

Can you just just dump one of these mattresses in the floor, or is a box spring required. I was planning on building a base for whatever I get with good storage underneath. But need to get something ordered up ASAP. This leaking mattress is starting to smell like an infected foot. I thought someone had left a wet bathing suit or pool towel in my room. :laughing:

one thing i dont often hear when people ask about mattress's is sex life....

i love the foam mattress we have for sleeping. but man i miss a bed with springs, i think we can all agree bumping uglies is better with the bounce of a bed with springs.

our guest room has a spring mattress in it, and gets used accordingly. unfortunately we are now in a situation of having a guest for 3wks, 1wk in and i'm ready to toss the foam bed.

i'm not sure what to get, but i will say that my family is in the furniture/ mattress biz, i grew up in the store playing hide and seek in reclinerland. i know the mark up is around 300% or more and while it once was a place to get quality furniture, its all crap now.

ohh and actionfab, its probably about time new bed. allot of mattress sales is bs, but the part where they say to get a new mattress every 7-10yrs is very true, at least for a mattress with springs. they really do get worn out. as i said before about growing up in a furniture store, i worked as a stock boy/ delivery from 14-18yoa. some costomers would get the exact same mattress to replace and seeing them (touching/ moving) side by side is the only way to convince people how much they change. and i'm not just talking about the gross people who never clean, flip/ rotate and such.

i dont think i've ever kept a mattress more than 7yrs, i'm good with taking care of them and always have an allergenic cover on them to help with dust mites and such. the foam bed we have now its been about 5yrs and it has really broken down overtime, it needs replaced.

Another thing that I also have in mind. I’m planning on moving sometime in the next 2 to 3 years (absolute maximum) I would have an issue with super cheap ($500ish) mattress and buying new when I move. But if I’m gunna spend a wad of cash upfront I’d prefer a cal king and ditch the fish tank. I tend to move around ALOT when I sleep.

We have a 4 month old Ghostbed Lux, in an old waterbed frame. It stays nice and cool, but the material they are made from is slippery. The fitted sheet tends to pop off. Overall I like it better than the namebrand foam mattress it replaced.

Zinus love mine so much we staid in a Super 8 last night, on the way home I told mom that if for some reason we had to stay there again we would just drive back home. Their matteress was like sleeping on the floor no give at all:eek:

Remember after all the responses it's the zinus green tea with matching topper. Got the thickest one they had.

+1 for zenus

We got the hybrid, memory foam and spring. We have had it almost 18 months and love it. ~$400 delivered for a king. We looked at a well known local place who builds them in house, but $1600 and 6 week wait wasn't appealing.

Then we looked at Tempur-Pedic and those fucks are out of there mind, $10k for a memory foam? :lmao:

We also heard to avoid getting zenus from Amazon, because some people had issues with mold from Amazon storing them incorrectly or too long. ??????

Based off the last PBB thread, I picked up the $300 Zinus green tea mattress (skipped the topper). 2 years and it's still holding up decent, at this rate I'll just buy a new one every few years instead of going with an expensive one. https://www.zinus.com/products/gree...-relief-queen-mattress?variant=15075687071807

Latex memory foam is supposed to last the longest but you're going to be paying something like 1500 for it.

I bought a bed frame from this place, if the looks work for you its real actual solid wood at shitty particle board IKEA prices: https://kdframes.com/collections/beds

Zinus love mine so much we staid in a Super 8 last night, on the way home I told mom that if for some reason we had to stay there again we would just drive back home. Their matteress was like sleeping on the floor no give at all:eek:

So it looks like the king of cheap mattresses is Zinus Green Tea

This is what I am going to order.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7EPY04...ing=UTF8&psc=1

However, I see the base popping up but dont see which box spring you guys have, is it necessary? Will the base count as one?
Would you guys advise against throwing it on the floor until I build my own base?

Top Back Refresh