What's new

Napa prices

Baconator

Member Number
Ive been doing business with Napa for 20 + years now, they are generally my go to when it comes to auto and equipment parts. If I know Ill be doing a job and needing parts I usually check Rock Auto and order from there if they are cheaper with shipping.
Ive noticed in the last year Napa has gotten stupidly expensive.
For example today I needed a 6008 bearing, online its about $6, from my Deere dealer it was $33, and Napa was $80. I needed it right now so I paid the $80 and went on my way.
Another one is filters, I used to get filters for all of my equipment from them, but not anymore. Deere dealer gets $6, napa wants $19 for the same filter where Deere is OEM.

Is it just me or is Napa getting stupid priced?

I noticed the same but when I want quality parts now I drive right past the other stores. I think mechanics accounts are a bigger part of thier buisness then cash customers.

Napa counter guys are working on commission with bonus levels, business discount will get you maybe 30%.

Ours is still competitive with the other stores but I buy on an account. The guys there know their stuff though so even if the prices went up I'd still head there

It’s been that way for awhile now, like has been stated business accounts discount the prices, they used to do price matching, not so sure anymore, most anything I need nowadays I can find on amazon prime, or Rockauto for way cheaper and name brand stuff.

Screw Napa. Had too many rebuilt alternators and starters from there that were junk.

I noticed the same but when I want quality parts now I drive right past the other stores. I think mechanics accounts are a bigger part of thier buisness then cash customers.

Even with a shop account, Advance and Autozone are way lower priced than Napa. And the parts are pretty similar aside from premium rotors. It sucks, Napa used to be the best and have the best old guys that new their shit working there. Now they are no better than anyone else.

Seemed fine to me today. Gave me a discount for knowing the part number I needed. I also regularly use my AAA discount.

Find a business account you can use. The guys near me don’t give a shit what one you’re using.

Really weird or lame that no one even mentioned if they look at the country of origin of what they buy. But China, bury America. Yeah, it's cheaper.
1A Auto parts at least they sell some USA. Look at your shit before you buy or STFU.

There are 2 key things to be aware of. First, there is independent napa and company owned napa if you buy from an independent pricing can be whatever the owner wants it to be.

The other tother is that napa is changing the warranty program on a lot of their products. The increased up front cost allows for longer defect return rates and full replacement warranties.

Fuck Napa. I had a 13-14 year old water pump, lifetime warranty, and even had the receipt. Went to exchange it maybe couple years ago, and they said they dont do that anymore, they will exchange it this one time and tore up the receipt.

​​​​​

I've never thought napa parts were any better than the others.

I use napa for a lot of things, but they suck for warrantys, their computers don't communicate with each other so if you don't have the receipt and your out of town, you're screwed. Orilley and auto zone are the opposite, easy warranty.

Our local napa guys are pretty decent they'll actually get out a book and look it up if it doesn't pop up on the computer right away.

Have you tried bringing up the price difference? Pretty hard to be more expensive than deere :laughing:

When I was younger NAPA was the last place we called, while they more than likley had the part you were going to pay dearley for it.
Little town I live in NAPA is the only game in town unless you want to drive 60 miles, or order on line and wait. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, figure what it costs to drive in time and wear and tear on the car, or if you can be down and hope the part gets here when the on line people say it will or just pay NAPA prices and get your shit back to work!

I wont use the NAPA in town for anything more than a $20 fuck I need it now part, thats about the gas and time I spend driving to the next town. I use an independent parts store about 17 miles away. Or, since they were closed today I drove to the NAPA 2 towns over. They had the backhoe battery I needed for about $175. They also make hoses in house so I will try and support them if I can. Other parts store is great for cars and trucks and prices are competitive so they are good to go.

When I first move to town I needed a 37 mm or some random socket and nobody had one for sale. The guy behind the counter went back to his bay and grabbed me one and asked if I could return it Monday. I have been a customer since.

Screw Napa. Had too many rebuilt alternators and starters from there that were junk.

unless you buy new oem, you're gonna have that experience at any and every auto parts store when it comes to starters and alternators.

every reman toyota starter I've bought from an auto parts store came complete with hammer marks all over the side of it

Last 5+ years napa has been nutz expensive!
And I live in Napa county!

I stopped by our local independent NAPA Friday for a 1/4" push lock elbow I needed and I about choked when he quoted me $24.95 for 1 fitting.
I said no offense but for that price, I could re-plumb the entire thing in steel tubing and compression fittings and probably still have enough to buy a drink and a double cheeseburger at MCD's.
So I went with the $3.00 brass compression fitting they had instead.

I been using rockauto since forever. Many options, 2 day shipping, and cheaper parts.

I think I went to Napa twice in my lifetime. Once for a 3/4 - 1/2 inch socket adapter, which broke, and another time for specific radiator fluid that no one had locally. Nothing special to bring me back.

most recent experience was for a large commercial battery. I forget the group / size but it was spendy.

Online; $159 + tax and ship
Local; $299 on up
NAPA; $800 and some change.

But over the years, I've NEVER found Napa to be less than rlly fkg expensive which is why I wasn't shocked when they wanted the price of a set of fucking tires for a battery...

There's really only a handful of manufacturers that rebuild starters and alternators. The best option is to find a local rebuilder. I take all my electrical stuff to a local guy, cost is about 20% more than over the counter reman but the quality is far superior.

hm... I just bought 2 batteries for my F250 from the local Napa, price seemed in line with what other places had.

If I'm buying something local, they are usually my first stop, mostly because they are really close to where I live, and most of the guys working there actually seem to know about cars. Often times if I need something real small (like 1 or 2 feet of fuel hose) they will just give it to me.

Generally, I'll order online if I know ahead of time I need parts, but if I need something that day, I'll swing by Napa.

i called them yesterday about getting a battery for my 700xx honda 90 bucks, auto zone was the same. i bought them on line for 30 bucks. fawk'em

I don't think we even have a Napa in town. Our BC jobber is called Lordco, and I have a pretty good account there, usually about 40% off list price. Still can't beat rockauto, but if I need it NOW...they're pretty good. There's another local chain store just down the road who are pretty good too, again, being a regular, knowing the counter folks, it all helps.

I recently moved to a new town and trying to learn the new best places to go. In Grand Junction Colorado, Napa is open 7 days a week, they close at 1 on sundays but keep the same hours as their competition the rest of the time. That Napa stocked stuff no other store in town did (1 other napa, 3 autozone's, 3 O'reilly's 2 carquests). They were the most expensive but if you needed something on a sunday they were my best bet and usually had the american version of whatever it was I wanted. They also had every counter person in town that didn't rely on the computer and it's list of inane questions to get me what I was looking for. Now where I live the Napa isn't even close to the same, they are run by the same computerized morons as the cheap stores.

For instance, the main stores might stock one or two lug studs for any specific vehicle. Napa kept cases of them, so if you wanted to put all 32 new lug studs and lug nuts on your 8 lug one ton on a sunday, Napa had me covered. You can't even do one whole corner from any other store.

RockAuto has every option available and I buy all my american made (or american owned) parts from there. I gotta be pretty hard up for parts to go to an O'reilly's or Autozone.

The other tother is that napa is changing the warranty program on a lot of their products. The increased up front cost allows for longer defect return rates and full replacement warranties.

So shittier parts are coming down the pipe that they need to get ready for.

I'm looking to do a jeep steering shaft "upgrade" for the c10, I was looking at all the options, including the Dorman replacement steering shaft just for comparison sake.
Rockauto price was around $268 (not including shipping).
Amazon Canada $395.
Napa Canada... a whopping $518 for a fucking dorman.
A borgeson that is application specific w/u-joints also happens to be $268 (not including shipping) from Summit. I never thought I'd see the day that getting a Borgeson anything to me in Canada would be the economical choice.

Alex.

Top Back Refresh