What's new

My turn to vent, Anyone here gone deaf?

Mr.Ratbastard

Member Number
I have Meniere's disease and I lost my ability to hear speach out of my left ear a couple years ago. My right ear is now having the same trouble and my ability to hear speach is coming and going. I like to joke and shout tge shit with my friends(like everone) it's getting harder to do. I can hear anoying sounds so hearing aids just amplify those noises and I get to listen to medium to stupid loud tinnitus 24/7
This is a strange journey and I think I am dealing with it ok so far but I wonder about being 100 percent deaf. It seams impossible to joke around except now where I yell "I can't hear you, I am hearing impaired" then when they raise their voice I ask "why are you yelling?"
My hearing may come and go in my right ear so for now there is hope but it isn't really looking good. Meniere's has caused many issues that range from unpleasant to debilitating(random vertigo).So that's my vent, anyone else gone through similar or know someone who has? How did you/they deal with it?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have Meniere's disease and I lost my ability to hear speach out of my left ear a couple years ago. My right ear is now having the same trouble and my ability to hear speach is coming and going. I like to joke and shout tge shit with my friends(like everone) it's getting harder to do. I can hear anoying sounds so hearing aids just amplify those noises and I get to listen to medium to stupid loud tinnitus 24/7
This is a strange journey and I think I am dealing with it ok so far but I wonder about being 100 percent deaf. It seams impossible to joke around except now where I yell "I can't hear you, I am hearing impaired" then when they raise their voice I ask "why are you yelling?"
My hearing may come and go in my right ear so for now there is hope but it isn't really looking good. Meniere's has caused many issues that range from unpleasant to debilitating(random vertigo).So that's my vent, anyone else gone through similar or know someone who has? How did you/they deal with it?

I've been "hearing impaired" for years: then got an acoustic Neuroma that took out another 50% of my right ear. I have hearing aids that make it livable, but the tinnitus is constant.

The damn facemasks now are my biggest problem: had no idea how much I relied on lipreading to piece together what I was hearing.

It's pretty disheartening sometimes, the wife knows what I've got going, but still chews my ass for "not listening to her"..

The hearing aids should be better than that: I'd get a new audiologist if that's your assessment of them..

People have a really lousy idea of just what hearing loss is: you'd be amazed what I CAN hear as far as quiet noises of certain frequencies, etc.: it's frequency specific, however, and there's two parts to it: just hearing different frequencies, and then understanding: being able to put together those sounds as speech. My hearing score is fairly decent in certain areas, but the understanding sucks after the gamma knife, etc. all got done: I can hear someone talking, but without the lipreading just have a hard time hearing anything but "blah, blah, blah.."

My dad has lost one ear and the other is flakey...it sucks trying to talk to him on the phone or anything not in person.

I've been more careful about my hearing, trying to limit time with loud music and keeping it under 100db, no headphones because they're so easy to overdo it, and I always wear hearing protection in the garage if I'm doing anything noisy....have piles of nice ear plugs if I need to do something for a long time or wearing a mask but usually use muffs that I can throw on/off quickly.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

THIS.... all of this.

I have a super high pitch (think CRT TV whine) in both ears, and my right ear has this randomly alternating, yet constant, 2 tone that showed up after taking a shot at a deer this past hunting season which REALLY rung my bell compared to other times I have shot without ear pro. Very strange.

No help to the OP, but I can sort of relate.

I feel you man! I have nothing to say that can help or make you feel better unfortunately.

I've never had my hearing tested, but I need to. I have a constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in both my ears and say "what?" way more than I should. If I'm in a back seat of a car and the radio is on low I can only hear ~30% of the conversation from the front. If there is any subtle background noise it's the same. Mine is from being young and stupid with guns I think so I can't be mad at anyone but myself. There is a hearing center near my work that I may go get checked now that you bring this all up.

ugh, all. the. damn. time.

when I was going out on dates, I'd be straight up and tell a date, I'm not looking away necessary. I just can't hear you.

For me, the worst is when there's lots of background sounds, like restaurants and such I can't hardly make out what someone next to me is saying.

sucks, but I'd almost be happy to be deaf if the tenitis went with it. but my luck, I'd have both.

Condolences. I figure mostly deaf is in my future. My hearing is not what it was, but it's probably all my fault. Too much noise without ear protection. I got store-bought ears last year, adn they are helping. It is not stop training for everyone around me. "Hey, dumbass - I can't carry a conversation with you in another room, facing away from me!" is an expression I use more and more. Usually with my wife.

Sadly, hearing loss is a gateway to dementia - or so I have been told. Time to do more logic puzzles and brain exercise to keep it active.

ugh, all. the. damn. time.

when I was going out on dates, I'd be straight up and tell a date, I'm not looking away necessary. I just can't hear you.

For me, the worst is when there's lots of background sounds, like restaurants and such I can't hardly make out what someone next to me is saying.

sucks, but I'd almost be happy to be deaf if the tenitis went with it. but my luck, I'd have both.

My tinnitus is constant. I got it from a day of cutting poop pipe in the chop saw for a Helen Keller approved roll cage. Its this constant whine that never goes away. As people talk to me, their voices travels up and down. I have this dead zone where their words are cutoff by the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sometimes I can get away with what they're saying by filling in the blanks. But I instantly go to WHAT WAS THAT before I piece it together. My wife has to repeat things three or four times for me.

The whine of a CRT monitor nails it. Exactly what it sounds like.

Also, What?

:flipoff2:

Yes. My left ear is useless. I can't hear anything in the range of normal human voices in that ear and I have constant tinitus. I'm too stubborn to look into hearing aids, but the day is fast approaching when I will have no choice.

My tinnitus is constant. I got it from a day of cutting poop pipe in the chop saw for a Helen Keller approved roll cage. Its this constant whine that never goes away. As people talk to me, their voices travels up and down. I have this dead zone where their words are cutoff by the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sometimes I can get away with what they're saying by filling in the blanks. But I instantly go to WHAT WAS THAT before I piece it together. My wife has to repeat things three or four times for me.

The whine of a CRT monitor nails it. Exactly what it sounds like.

Also, What?

:flipoff2:

The CRT noise... do you ever notice it get louder when you drink alcohol? Mine does haha

The CRT noise... do you ever notice it get louder when you drink alcohol? Mine does haha

I never really drink, so I can't tell yea. :homer:

Perhaps I should one even do a study on drinking and hearing. For research purposes. :laughing:

X10 on the face masks making it hard to hear and understand people.

I know I have some hearing loss, I’m just trying to do the best I can to keep it from getting worse.

Add me to this list :(

I'm probably losing some hearing. Its less annoying than my completely wiped out sense of smell since I had COVID. Not sure it's ever coming back.

WHAT ?

Yes and the big T for the past 20 or so years.

So, since we are talking about this kind of thing... I got suckered into buying something from Facebook because it mentioned potential relief from Tinnitus.
https://www.flareaudio.com/products/calmer

I was ABSOLUTELY skeptical about these doing ANYTHING for me as far as tinnitus goes. Uhm.... they help! It is strange at first, but once you get used to them being in your ear it helpth... it....it doeth help. :laughing:. I am not sure why or how it helps.... but it cuts down my tinnitus by like 80%. If I focus hard in a quiet room, I can still make it out but it isnt NEARLY as oppressive.

With a 100 day money back guarantee, you could try it. I am in no way affiliated nor do I get any sort of kick back for this plug nor subsequent sales. Im just a dude who drunk ordered this shit and it didnt completely suck! :lmao:

Also... the company is like "Uh yeah, we didn't intend for this to help with Tinnitus... full disclosure. BUT, if it is helping you we are happy."
https://flareaudio.freshdesk.com/su...s/43000583034-will-calmer-help-with-tinnitus-

Last edited:
Yep, tinnitus never stops. I matched the pitch for my wife using a sound frequency online, fluctuates from about 5-7 volume level most of the time. She couldn't believe that is what I hear non-stop. Still doesn't stop her from bitching about having to repeat things all the time! I am worthless for a conversation in a loud setting.

I matched the pitch for my wife using a sound frequency online, fluctuates from about 5-7 volume level most of the time.

Wait, there's a thing that does this? Got a link? Love to do this with the wife.

Wait, there's a thing that does this? Got a link? Love to do this with the wife.

I just did a frequency search and played with it until the pitch matched. She was pissed I was making such a terrible noise until I explained what I was doing.

Similar to what D_Jeeper linked above.

Last edited:
I just did a frequency search and played with it until the pitch matched. She was pissed I was making such a terrible noise until I explained what I was doing.

I'm going to try this tonight. The frequency thing. I piss off the wife regardless. :flipoff2:

The eeeeeeeeee comes and goes normally. I've noticed it pretty much always when I'm in my own home, made me think it was something emitting the sound but I haven't located it yet if it is.

My grandmother passed away last year after a stroke, she'd been about deaf for 6 years or so and then dementia took out her memory and rationalization. She'd been telling me for a few years she was ready to be with my grandfather in heaven. Fortunately the end came fast for her.

I had a young assistant in 2019 that had tinnitus, there were times she could not hear me, half my age. I've probably been better about wearing ear plugs than most people do through the years. When I worked on crews in the field I'd be the only one wearing them. Always used them working in my shop or mowing the lawn. But I fear it is creeping up on me.

I did a fair amount of shooting as a teen, bullets were a plenty then, ear plugs got left out often, I also like loud music and those 15" subs in the extended cab ranger as a kid probably didn't help things.

I'm in the group that can't hear anything when there's any background noise. I'm useless in a restaurant. My wife used to get pissed off at me when we went to things like work dinners or gatherings because I didn't talk to anyone. I had to explain that I wasn't being a dick, I just couldn't hear anyone. Now she just says "This is my husband Josh, he's deaf so talk loud to him" and I sit there like the idiot I am.

My daughter had to learn it too. She thinks is funny to scream in my ear if I don't hear her the first time and it puts me on my knees sometimes. Loud noises are actually painful now.

Raises hand....I wish I could hear ya...lol

My ringing changes. Sometimes it's a constant tone and others times it's like being in the woods at night with all the insects chirping.

I think between 12 and 15 hertz I'm pretty much deaf.

Similar to what D_Jeeper linked above.

:lmao: I was doing that and my wife came into the room asking wtf is that. I asked her if should could hear it...hell yes. When I told her that I couldn't...she started to grasp how bad my hearing had gotten.

Top Back Refresh