What's new

2002 TuRD

I frantically searched for a build thread but came up empty...

Have you posted anything about this yet?

I have not. I live in a newer HOA so I have to be careful when I work on it. For the back I am going spring under. I am using a set of All Pro 6 inch lift springs with 7 inch shackles. I am waiting on a couple things for the front end before I can get it mocked up. As for spring under up front I am contemplating frenching the spring perches into the housing if necessary. I’ll be using an FJ80 front. The rear is from the same FZJ80 the front axle came from.

This truck gets driven to and from the trails and whenever I want and the factory tacoma buckets are some sort of old world torture device, so I had a DD 99 camry that I was sending to scrapper, but first I snagged the seats out of it. I pulled the carpet up on the tacoma and found a capped harness and it's always powered, apparently this was for power seats in some limited model somewheres score!!
IMG_20180318_170750028.jpg
so out come the wiring diagrams and hooked the blue with white wires off the camry seat went to the white wire on the tacoma harness and bam they worked. So the truck now has power seats out of camry.
Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 3.42.26 PM.jpg

IMG_20180429_194112954.jpg
fucking around with the feet sucked total ass, I set the seats on fire quite a few times and evrey foot had to be modified. 99% sure I'm getting tossed out the windshield if someone on a 10spd rear ends me:laughing:

Last edited:
I really need a cage in this truck, it had a 4x innovations cage I got from a friend in it for a year or so, but it was more of a safety hazard IMO than not having a cage, especially if I got in an accident on the road. So it got cut out.
20161106_184729.jpg

I need some ideas for tight fitting cages for these trucks, anyone have anywhere they can point me? The cabs are so small and I really don't want an exo. 99% sure I'll have a shop do it when the time comes, I'm not patient enough to build a nice tight cage.

In theory (AKA who knows how well this would work LOL) running heim joint steering on the bottom of the high steer arms would allow more uptravel, and would be somewhat protected by the SPUA leaves. Then a hydro assist cylinder could be tucked under the drag link and protected by an angled axle skid flush with the bottom of the housing.

Depending on the axle it might take a bent tie rod to clear the diff, and a bent drag link to keep the heim angles decent, and......

Running them under the arm wouldn't be a problem. I'd even go as using fror flat arms and going under those.

Running them under the arm wouldn't be a problem. I'd even go as using fror flat arms and going under those.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Front Range flat arms. Much better option to get everything exactly right instead of modding the typical cast Toyota arms.

I have not. I live in a newer HOA so I have to be careful when I work on it. For the back I am going spring under. I am using a set of All Pro 6 inch lift springs with 7 inch shackles. I am waiting on a couple things for the front end before I can get it mocked up. As for spring under up front I am contemplating frenching the spring perches into the housing if necessary. I’ll be using an FJ80 front. The rear is from the same FZJ80 the front axle came from.

I know that feeling, I'm in a neighborhood and also can't make much noise past 7ish for my kiddo. I need to rectify that ASAP (the house situation, not the kiddo).

Once you have some progress to post, start a thread! I need to do the same one of these days.

Sally's, I built this thing in a typical suburban neighborhood 2 car garage.:flipoff2: what kind of Irates are scared of an HOA? Pee in those karen's butts when they start complaining

I did stop the grinders at 10pm on weeknights and 11pm on weekends if I couldn't work with the door shut......

Sally's, I built this thing in a typical suburban neighborhood 2 car garage.:flipoff2: what kind of Irates are scared of an HOA? Pee in those karen's butts when they start complaining

I did stop the grinders at 10pm on weeknights and 11pm on weekends if I couldn't work with the door shut......

I try to be courteous. My neighbor in in his 70s. I kinda felt bad when I had to cut and grind all of those fucking brackets off of the rear axle. Using an angle grinder was not fun. I actually bought a plasma cutter when it comes time to chop off the front suspension.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Front Range flat arms. Much better option to get everything exactly right instead of modding the typical cast Toyota arms.

Toyota steering arms are forged. The only cast arms were the original All Pro high steer arms. :flipoff2:

I try to be courteous. My neighbor in in his 70s. I kinda felt bad when I had to cut and grind all of those fucking brackets off of the rear axle. Using an angle grinder was not fun. I actually bought a plasma cutter when it comes time to chop off the front suspension.

Those brackets do suck! I exploded quite a few cut off wheels on those!!

Thanks man! I figured you would have dug the unbobbed bed based on your rant in the other forum:lmao:

Yep! It makes me happy seeing yours in it's un-bobbed glory. Plus I love the shoe string budget you made work. It's exactly how I build.

Good job and I'll following this thread

I’m going to a 3 link from leafs now and ordered FROR flat, blank arms that showed up today for that exact reason. I’ll end up going y-link to push the tie rod forward to clear the panhard and get as much uptravel as I can. I toyed with running a passenger arm on the driver side but just doing it right with FROR arms won out. Should be 5 inches of bump travel at 23” frame height on 37’s

Went evening/night wheeling last week at Uhwarrie, truck worked great as usual. Steering is still kind of a mess on this thing, I really need to get my shit together and finally get the hydro assist installed. My powersteering cooler mount also broke off at some point prior to the trip. The MT2s are breaking in nicely and as the day went on they got more squishy and grippy, I really like these tires for what I do with the truck. It was drama free wheeling and a matter of fact both my dailys broke so I have been daily driving this thing for the past week...
20210417_184258.jpg
20210417_192809.jpg
20210417_185606.jpg

Good looking rig.

Whats up with the hydro, Just not getting with it?
Thanks! I built the truck too low so the ram is going to be a PITA to get mounted. Evrey time I mess with it I say fuck it and go do something else. Mostly motivation on my end.

Thanks! I built the truck too low so the ram is going to be a PITA to get mounted. Evrey time I mess with it I say fuck it and go do something else. Mostly motivation on my end.
If it's like my junk, it will piss you off one trip then it will be on. You'll figure some creative way to build it.

Good Luck.

If it's like my junk, it will piss you off one trip then it will be on. You'll figure some creative way to build it.

Good Luck.
Hahaha I say that evrey time, then I lay under there and try to fit the ram and say fuck it LOL!! This season I swear!!

The truck got some new front frame end shackle bushings. The bushings were blown out like a powerbottoms butt hole. The truck no longer shimmys on braking. There bushings were original from when I built the front end.
IMG_20210509_145007650.jpg
IMG_20210509_145002940.jpg

She also got a new set of motor mounts, these were the stock MMs and not in too bad of shape for 200k miles and a bunch of crawler wheeling. When the steering box comes out next I'm going to chain the driver's side.
IMG_20210509_163935753.jpg
IMG_20210509_164219275.jpg

Went wheeling yesterday, it was hot as fuck (high 90s) the truck ran nice and cool idling with the AC on full all day. Whoever says the smallest 5lug 4cyl radiator can't keep the 3.4 cool is full of it! My steering was overheating but that's a totally different issue, I really need to rebuild the inner fender. I also found out the ticking that I thought was my valves is really just a leaking exhaust manifold.
67248A09-140A-4A75-884A-4AE20F85D968.jpg
431C884C-79B4-497F-B0DD-92B3B31AB1EC.jpg
DAB8C412-1112-4A99-9AAB-5401264D7631.jpg
IMG_20210619_130550338.jpg
IMG_20210619_130749526.jpg

That bobbed 80 is badass.

One of these does not look like the other...
54AABE26-5E03-4382-AADE-44AAE036F3D0.jpg

Top Back Refresh