What's new

2002 TuRD

Came in handy when I couldn't get a grinder to the top of the diff and I had to weld through grease, dirt and paint for that upper assist tab.

Flux core still sucks.

With hard wire, ya just keep your wire a bit farther back in the puddle an turn up the juice a tad to get a pre-burn going...

Last edited:
1000001875.jpg

Front end ripped apart for running new return lines from the cooler to the res, I have been plugging away on this thing doing all the (build thread related) boring stuff. Pulled the 3rd to make sure I didn't blow a hole in the axle welding the assist tabs on. Front axle is assembled, knuckles rebuilt, the steering box is in as well. I ended up having to get new steering links due to some seized up TREs. I got them from budbuilt and checked out the shop picking them up, always cool meeting a Toyota parts/wheeling legend. I Just want to point out to rockota that I apparently did the insurmountable and got an IFS box in there without having to hack up the front body mounts:flipoff2:. I would have had the truck driving this weekend but my PSC pump apparently came with a -12 fitting despite ordering one with a -10, so the feed hose i bought won't work. So I'm going to upsize the res to -12 and get a new hose made, this pump better not cavitate ever LOL!! So this week I need to mount the driver's side shock tower and tabs while I wait for the new hose and fittings. I have all the rough hose routing done as well. Hopefully I can get the truck fired up next weekend and see what parts don't work and what parts leak:laughing:. After that it's notch the pax side frame, some weld washers, and install the air bumps to get it wheelable. Entering the home stretch!!

Grinding away on this thing. I got most of the hoses and lines ran, steering columns hooked up and I finally got the right feed hose for the ps pump. Did an alignment on this thing as well prepping to fire it up, hopefully tomorrow night. Quick questions, I am running the ram facing the pax side, what port in the ram do I need to hook up to what port on the box?

I also found a home for the res:
1000001895.jpg

Solid mount side of ram, front (tapped) of box.

Edit: Raise your res as high as you can and still close the hood..

Solid mount side of ram, front (tapped) of box.

Edit: Raise your res as high as you can and still close the hood..
The 2nd parts not happening due to the air intake tube, unless I put a few 90s in it to snake it under, but that's dumb and defeats the point. It's a 3/4 hose with -12 fittings with a pressurized res, so it SHOULD be good:laughing:

Well, then you're going to need to put a shorty elbow on your intake, cut a hole in your hood, fab up a snorkel that attaches to your new roof rack (tent included) and protect it with some plastic ramp thingys..

:flipoff2:

Well, then you're going to need to put a shorty elbow on your intake, cut a hole in your hood, fab up a snorkel that attaches to your new roof rack (tent included) and protect it with some plastic ramp thingys..

Genius!

I kicked around a CAI, but bebop and Eric at RD talked me off the ledge in my noob forum post on this.

Genius!

I kicked around a CAI, but bebop and Eric at RD talked me off the ledge in my noob forum post on this.

Love them or hate em… a CAI will give you more room for activities… :flipoff2:

Progress!!! So my wife's been sick so my plans to have it running this weekend did not pan out while I helped her. I did get in the garage tonight and got the steering system plumbed, and fired up. It works and no leaks, fuck yea!!
1000001918.jpg

That red stuff is Toyota coolant.

I know I'm going to be fighting the ram lines, but I needed a win so I'll bask in it for now LOL!

The res worked as advertised, bled the system in like 30-45mins, that's compared to 2hrs with the stock res, the Ford box and a far simpler steering system.

Res with pressure valve
1000001919.jpg

So this week I plan on thrashing on this thing mounting shocks, bumps, weld washers, fixing some shitty welds and tightening down bolts, and driving it to work friday, or at least over the weekend.

Shake down run is the SE irate meetup, at the good evening ranch in WV on the 19th.

Took it for a test drive today, got it up to 75, no death wobble and drives nice!! I'm going to drive it to work every day this week to find any leaks or issues. I need to install the air bumps and notch the frame and I should be good to go wheeling.
1000001938.jpg

1000001939.jpg

My damn ram is leaking, brand new (sat on my shelf for 5yrs..) PSC ram is leaking. Not too worried about it, I'll just keep dumping fluid in it if I can't get fixed swapped before wheeling in a couple weeks:laughing:
1000001940.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh