What's new

My SN95 Convertible for flashlight drags, autocross

T5 will hold up fine to what you’re doing they’ve been put through a lot worse . However I’m surprised someone hasn’t spoke up yet . As a cruiser your setup without the engine issues would be fun but it wouldn’t hold a candle to literally any newer muscle car with the current motor or trans . Fix it sell it and buy a coyote car 👍

T5 will hold up fine to what you’re doing they’ve been put through a lot worse . However I’m surprised someone hasn’t spoke up yet . As a cruiser your setup without the engine issues would be fun but it wouldn’t hold a candle to literally any newer muscle car with the current motor or trans . Fix it sell it and buy a coyote car 👍
Tremec T56/TKO FTW.

A Coyote car is an awesome idea, especially since the older ones are now reasonable (- controllavirus scalping). On the manual trans cars you are still stuck with a POS MT-82, haha. At least the 6R80's are stout.

To your last point I think he's trying to have some fun tinkering and modifying something he got relatively cheap. Intended use case and all. If he swaps for 351 based engine with some kind of power adder it will be competitive...or even some junkyard LS with some ebay turbos (hate to say it...)

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
Gen2 Coyote swap and be done with it. You can make more reliable power and save all the intermediate steps. Iirc you can make more reliable power with a NA Gen2 Coyote than you can with forced induction on that dinosaur 5.0/5.8. Lund E85 tune on that Coyote.

Definitely do the MM 6pt rollbar at a minimum mostly for safety with a side benefit of stiffness.

If you're going around corners get the MM panhard/torque arm set up. Vorshlag CC plates for the front and try to get 3.0 positive caster for the track. You can thank me later.

Either way have fun.

nonononono
T5 is way too light duty for any serious use
they just don't have enough meat in them
According to the specs it is a TKX 600 but it looks damn similar to a T5. I have the ford PN at work, ill post it when i am there. I do t see exceeding 600 ft/lbs any time soon.

Last edited:
Say what now?
the CD009 in 350/370Z cars is a great trans and becoming a polular swap into LS cars. If they made a bellhousing for the SBF I would have one.

Gen2 Coyote swap and be done with it. You can make more reliable power and save all the intermediate steps. Iirc you can make more reliable power with a NA Gen2 Coyote than you can with forced induction on that dinosaur 5.0/5.8. Lund E85 tune on that Coyote.

Definitely do the MM 6pt rollbar at a minimum mostly for safety with a side benefit of stiffness.

If you're going around corners get the MM panhard/torque arm set up. Vorshlag CC plates for the front and try to get 3.0 positive caster for the track. You can thank me later.

Either way have fun.
With this this setup I should be in the high 12s on drag radials if i drive it right. and it will be easy to set up for autocross, etc. I dont want to spend $10k on a $5k car. Especially while i have so many other projects taking my time and $

According to the specs it is a TKX 600 but it looks damn similar to a T5. I have the ford PN at work, ill post it when i am there. I do t see exceeding 60l ft/lbs any time soon.
good
was worried you were gonna be overpaying for a stock replacement trans, as the t5 is only really rated for something like 300 ft/lb so 400 is pushing it

good
was worried you were gonna be overpaying for a stock replacement trans, as the t5 is only really rated for something like 300 ft/lb so 400 is pushing it
I am hard on stuff, especially toys that dont have to get me to work. I would kill a regular T5 fast.

Edit. I guess i did kill a regular T5 fast. or at least the synchros etc for 3rd gear.

Last edited:
I am hard on stuff, especially toys that dont have to get me to work. I would kill a regular T5 fast.

Edit. I guess i did kill a regular T5 fast. or at least the synchros etc for 3rd gear.
The plastic bushings in the forks are usually what go from hard shifting. Good chance that is what it is and the syncro’s are fine.

The plastic bushings in the forks are usually what go from hard shifting. Good chance that is what it is and the syncro’s are fine.
3rd gear is a weak link in the T5. especially the junk factory synchros. i will probably look in it after i pull it but 99% it is syncros or worse.

With this this setup I should be in the high 12s on drag radials if i drive it right. and it will be easy to set up for autocross, etc. I dont want to spend $10k on a $5k car. Especially while i have so many other projects taking my time and $
I admire you're hopefulness. From the posts in this thread you're already on that runaway project train costs wise. You will go faster with less money in in the long run to do the G2 Coyote swap early on. You can sell what motor/trans you have to some old crusier type before it pops. I'm not crapping on your parade at all, just seen many people start this path and know where it winds up.

Its a cool project no matter what you do.:beer:

I admire you're hopefulness. From the posts in this thread you're already on that runaway project train costs wise. You will go faster with less money in in the long run to do the G2 Coyote swap early on. You can sell what motor/trans you have to some old crusier type before it pops. I'm not crapping on your parade at all, just seen many people start this path and know where it winds up.

Its a cool project no matter what you do.:beer:
I get it and have been down that path. Sometimes i get carried away. I have a couple of Gen 3 truck motors that i could put together cheap, too. I dont want a 500hp car. i want a convertible i can let my wife or friends drive and not worry about.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Coyote takeout go for?

Getting carried away is part of the fun. If you have a couple G3 motors what are you waiting on?:smokin:

A quick search: CJ Pony Parts lists the motor at $9k. Motor and trans are listed at 2x that. Those are Gen 3 parts.

Getting carried away is part of the fun. If you have a couple G3 motors what are you waiting on?:smokin:

A quick search: CJ Pony Parts lists the motor at $9k. Motor and trans are listed at 2x that. Those are Gen 3 parts.
Gen 3 GM stuff, not ford.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Coyote takeout go for?
28k mi, with MT-82, $8500.

Tinstar's link you still have to add an ECU.

If you wind up with a powertrain worth more than the car that's pretty normal for project cars I've dealt with :laughing:. When the chassis is ragged out transfer powertrain to something else cool... rinse...repeat...

No great updates.

Bought a set of old Macs GT40P headers so I won’t burn plug wires and boots. When those are on and I am satisfied with how it runs I am ordering the ford performance TKX600. Then I will burn the tires off and order something better.

Man that car looks familiar and PA plates, you around the ABE area? I swear I've seen that car before.

Man that car looks familiar and PA plates, you around the ABE area? I swear I've seen that car before.
Westmoreland county for the past few years. Not sure before that.

28k mi, with MT-82, $8500.

Tinstar's link you still have to add an ECU.

If you wind up with a powertrain worth more than the car that's pretty normal for project cars I've dealt with :laughing:. When the chassis is ragged out transfer powertrain to something else cool... rinse...repeat...

:eek:

upullit navigator 32v 5.4's are 500$ :smokin:

Top Back Refresh