What's new

My KRX1000 thread

1911cdp

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Arkansas
I had a 2021 KRX 1000 Trail edition I bought new in March 2021 for almost exactly 1 year(364 days). I centered a pine tree at about 30mph with the passenger front tire:
IMG_20220328_083014.jpg
Our harnesses did their job and we were able to get it dragged off the trail and onto my trailer after removing most of that corner:
IMG_20220328_083043.jpg
So I drove 5hrs to get a new one and I'm going to track its progress this time and leave it here.
Resized1.jpg

If insurance keeps paying more than I paid for it I might go for a new one every year:smokin:
Ya, that's no shit.

Did you get to keep the cage and/or whatever else you added to the old one before it went to the auction house?

Last edited:
A couple of buddies have KRX and freakin love them. I told the wife last night while watching the Offcamber YT channel's KRX4 debut that our next buggy will be a KRX4. They are trail and rock crawling monsters. Fit 35s stock and so much more room in them that my RZR. I don't think my toy hauler will fit it though. lol

Glad to see this here. I almost bought a KRX. I was really impressed how well they are built. everything seems a little heavier on them compared to everything else. I ended up with a Polaris General XP though.

A couple of buddies have KRX and freakin love them. I told the wife last night while watching the Offcamber YT channel's KRX4 debut that our next buggy will be a KRX4. They are trail and rock crawling monsters. Fit 35s stock and so much more room in them that my RZR. I don't think my toy hauler will fit it though. lol
Glad to see this here. I almost bought a KRX. I was really impressed how well they are built. everything seems a little heavier on them compared to everything else. I ended up with a Polaris General XP though.
We had a General, it fell apart daily, motor blew itself up, last straw was the lower bolt in the rear control arm snapped in half while cruising a dirt road at low speed. Wheelin a polaris is like wheelin a stock Jeep on stock axles with 37" tires, it'll work for a bit, until it doesn't.

Check this out, it really shows the difference in parts:

Sorry you had shit luck with your General. My '18 Rock and Trail has been pretty much trouble free. 🤷‍♂️

The stock bumpers on these things are pretty weak. Not to mention I'm a cheap bastard and can't shell out over $400 for an aftermarket that's still built out of cheap .095 tube. This was the stock bumper on my original machine after bottoming the front out on a water berm in the trail:
PXL_20210329_170657760.jpg
Yes there was a rock in the landing:shaking:

Also I hated where the stock winch was mounted, down in the nose where you can't get to it. So this time around I made my own bumper/winch mount. 1/4" base plate, 3/16" 2x4 rectangle, .120 wall 1.75" DOM tube. About $30 worth of metal:
20220601_221115.jpg

20220604_165348.jpg
20220604_180136.jpg
20220604_185050.jpg
20220604_200312.jpg
20220605_125237.jpg
20220605_173555.jpg

I like the minimalist winch bumper. You gonna add any protection around the winch itself?

I like the minimalist winch bumper. You gonna add any protection around the winch itself?
Yea I was in a rush trying to get ready for our trip to Colorado next month, just wanted to get something functional. I'll be adding to it in the near future.

Kinda nice getting a do-over, learned some things on the first one.
I do hope you share with the class. I've been looking at all the different diy cages.

What made you choose the cage wrx? For me its between that one and this one;

If I buy another SxS once I give up short course racing my Honda, it's going to be a KRX. They are heavy and slow but exactly what I would want in a trail rig/rock crawler.

I do hope you share with the class. I've been looking at all the different diy cages.

Cage WRX cage has triangulation in the B pillar, the one you posted doesn't have much if any anywhere. The angled bars going from the B to C pillar are a nice touch but don't actually do much to stiffen the cage in a side roll. That's my opinion anyway...

Cage WRX cage has triangulation in the B pillar, the one you posted doesn't have much if any anywhere. The angled bars going from the B to C pillar are a nice touch but don't actually do much to stiffen the cage in a side roll. That's my opinion anyway...
It annoys me that most of the aftermarket cages for these things don't make use of all the factory hardpoints. There are 4 factory tie-in points at roughly the B-pillar. Even better, they're not all in a single plane. I'm having a cage built with a local guy that will use all those. I might cuss part of it, because there's some extra tubing in the way of the rearview, but it will be comically overbuilt. He's still working on it, but I can post pictures once I get it back.

The trick to getting the cage in properly is to NOT weld the lower dash bar and rear harness bar in until after everything else is done and fully welded. I don't have a good picture of it, but the A pillar mounts are angled back, and slightly in towards the center. Making it near impossible to get the front in with the lower bar in place, as the the A pillars have to flex to get past the angle. Similar issue with the harness bar in the rear. I started by getting everything tacked together, then raising the back of the cage up by pivoting on the lower bolt in the A pillar bungs enough to clear the plastics, so I could fully weld the B and C pillar bungs.
20220507_130821.jpg

20220507_215846.jpg

20220507_215912.jpg

Then you can do the opposite to get the A bungs welded. Once they're done you will have to grind off the location tabs on the dash bar and hammer it into place. I wrapped the plastics to avoid scorching them too bad.
20220508_161304.jpg

20220515_120103.jpg

Got my machine back! This cage is from Twisted Metalworx, in Norman, Ok. It's only the second KRX cage he's done, but on first blush, I'm super happy with it. He also built a windshield for it, but it's not back from the glass shop yet.

B65D4E5C-F9AB-4298-A7CF-4450C9E41C0D.jpeg
B4C22775-3B16-4F2D-B27C-ABE3150544FA.jpeg
7F3C6FF4-F555-451D-B2FF-B5D03720AE2C.jpeg
F146F451-2E30-4C71-B6D7-E0A51F207EEE.jpeg
Very nice looking cage. I like the use of the secondary b pillar points. Also, why are your airbox covers not swapped yet :flipoff2:

Because of a very dumb reason. I hate the look of them. That’s the only concession I made to looks, though.
I thought when I got my Cagewrx cage I would hate them and they would always be blocking my view. I have had them so long I don't even notice them anymore until I want to wipe off the inside of the windshield. Then I am cussing them. :laughing:

Very nice looking cage. I like the use of the secondary b pillar points. Also, why are your airbox covers not swapped yet :flipoff2:
All I’ve seen are the extra metal plates that go over the frogskinz. Is that what you mean?

I have had them so long I don't even notice them anymore until I want to wipe off the inside of the windshield.
Which windshield do you use with the cage? I was wondering about windshield fitment with the aftermarket cage.

Which windshield do you use with the cage? I was wondering about windshield fitment with the aftermarket cage.
I have a poly custom cage windshield kit. EMP windshield kit

it works for blocking the wind and rain but i would prefer a glass windshield. My cage is a Cagewrx. At the time I bought the cage the windshield from them was $500 and I didn't want to spend that much. well I should have since it's $800+ shipped now last time I checked. :eek:

I only run a windshield when it's really cold or I know it's going to be raining that day.

Top Back Refresh