What's new

My father in law's Kubota flatty

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
This won't be a build thread, but I'll try to post a few pics here and there. We'll that, and probably ask questions, since a lot of this old stuff is pretty well out of my knowledge base, despite the fact that I've always loved flat fenders. Aka, the last real jeep made :flipoff2:

20220911_190928.jpg

20220911_190919.jpg

I don't know a whole lot, but he says it's a 47, original drivetrain besides, obviously the engine, front lockrite and a suzuki disc brake kit.

My wife and I drove it around the block, in 3rd gear pinned she hit 16 mph..... Obviously low range, but I'm guessing 1:1 3rd and 5.38s with the diesel isn't going to be a highway cruiser. :laughing:

So far his plans are pretty minor. Get a basic cage, he wants beadlocks for some reason :laughing: I sent him the basset light wieght circle track wheels. He said he may throw another lunchbox in the back. It has the old round cover rear end (D41?) but came with a D44. I told him to use the D44 if he's going to lock it.

Any suggestions on how to improve ride? I guess the PO already pulled a few leafs. They look stock, except it sits higher than a stock one. Any suggestions for a mild lift spring that rides better? My go to is ome/arb, but I don't think they go back that far.

"Any suggestions on how to improve ride?"

Yep, trade if for a RZR XP1000.:flipoff2:

Barring that, pull the leaves apart and put a light coat of marine grease between the leaves. You won't believe how much that will help. The original service manuals said to pry the springs apart a bit and oil between the leaves every so often.

Make sure the shocks aren't some wonky super stiff units.

Lower the air pressure in the tires.

Thicker padding on the seats.

"Any suggestions on how to improve ride?"

Yep, trade if for a RZR XP1000.:flipoff2:

Ya, i know, I have a samurai, so I'm familiar with the spua leafs with basically zero wieght on them ride quality.

On the other hand, when it rides so bad, there's lot of room for improvement :laughing:

Barring that, pull the leaves apart and put a light coat of marine grease between the leaves. You won't believe how much that will help. The original service manuals said to pry the springs apart a bit and oil between the leaves every so often.

What about just pulling leafs? Can't imagine that being a big deal. They must be some type of old lift spring.

Make sure the shocks aren't some wonky super stiff units.

Lower the air pressure in the tires.

Thicker padding on the seats.

He said he wanted beadlocks so he could just let all the air out to help the ride. :laughing:

You trying to retain stock length leaves, or do you want to change components? Longer leaves and softer shocks will do wonders in combination with beadlocks and low air pressure.

Or add a bunch of lead to the frame.

You trying to retain stock length leaves, or do you want to change components? Longer leaves and softer shocks will do wonders in combination with beadlocks and low air pressure.

Or add a bunch of lead to the frame.

He's pretty adamant that he doesn't want to turn into a project. He's got a V8/1 ton YJ project that's he's pretty deep into already.

I was looking at CJ5 spring swaps a little bit. Moving a few mounts may be within the "1 weekend" type of mod.

Sell it to me and the ride quality wont be a problem for him anymore.

What size kubota? What adapter and what trans?

Ive heard that suzuki modeled the samurai after these, and I really believe it. Wb and track width is very close. Then the knuckles look almost identical, luck pattern, ect.

Stock 3 spd and i don't know the engine, he said they're out of semi refer units.

He's pretty adamant that he doesn't want to turn into a project. He's got a V8/1 ton YJ project that's he's pretty deep into already.

I was looking at CJ5 spring swaps a little bit. Moving a few mounts may be within the "1 weekend" type of mod.
Cj springs won't be much of an improvement to be honest. Need to go longer. But I understand wanting to drive it. My cj project is a hard core full build. Thankful I have the overbuilt go-kart to fulfill my wheeling desires in the meantime.
20220902_154942.jpg

Second on the CJ-5 springs still being stiff, I think they are only 2-3" longer than the flattie springs? We put YJ springs on our CJ-5s and it was night and day smoother ride. If I was going to the effort of a spring swap I would go straight to the YJs, but you would probably have shackles hanging out front and rear to keep the same wheelbase.

The good thing is that the frames are parallel front to back so moving perches etc is dead simple. If your perches, shackles, and U-bolt plates are all pre made or bought it could easily be a weekend project.

Last edited:
Join up the "Old Short and Fat" FB page. Brennan Metcalf has some custom springs if you want to stay "stock-ish"
Not many options for 1.5" wide springs these days. If I wasn't cheap... I would have bought his spring combo... they are softer than the YJs I'm using and look the vintage part.

Second on the CJ-5 springs still being stiff, I think they are only 2-3" longer than the flattie springs? We put YJ springs on our CJ-5s and it was night and day smoother ride. If I was going to the effort of a spring swap I would go straight to the YJs, but you would probably have shackles hanging out front and rear to keep the same wheelbase.

The good thing is that the frames are parallel front to back so moving perches etc is dead simple. If your perches, shackles, and U-bolt plates are all pre made or bought it could easily be a weekend project.

I'm pretty familiar with the YJ leafs, I have them on my samurai and I'm not a big fan of them for small tires. You're also looking at replacing everything that touches the leafs since you're going from 2" to 2.5" wide. I figured the CJs would just be moving spring hangers.

The reason for cj's would be to run old man emu leafs.

Looks nicely done don’t mess with it.

Thats mostly the idea, besides little tweaks. Like he wants to replace the throttle swingset thing that the guy made.

Remove the third leaf. My buddies and I have had success with that several times.

How many are in the stock pack? Or are they even stock? He said the guy pulled leafs to soften the ride. Looking at it, I'd be fine with pulling more. I'd bet that thing only needs 3 or maybe 4 leafs total.

7 or 8 I don't remember. There's not a ton of uptravel in a cj2. If you soften it too much it will just hammer off the bump stops.

Thats mostly the idea, besides little tweaks. Like he wants to replace the throttle swingset thing that the guy made.

How many are in the stock pack? Or are they even stock? He said the guy pulled leafs to soften the ride. Looking at it, I'd be fine with pulling more. I'd bet that thing only needs 3 or maybe 4 leafs total.
The packs we pulled 3rd leafs from were typical 5 or 6 leaf packs.

I'm pretty familiar with the YJ leafs, I have them on my samurai and I'm not a big fan of them for small tires. You're also looking at replacing everything that touches the leafs since you're going from 2" to 2.5" wide. I figured the CJs would just be moving spring hangers.

The reason for cj's would be to run old man emu leafs.
Completely understand your reasoning.

Is the problem with small tires that the longer springs screw up the approach angle? That makes sense too.

7 or 8 I don't remember. There's not a ton of uptravel in a cj2. If you soften it too much it will just hammer off the bump stops.

Well these springs definitely aren't stock then, I think there was ~8" from the axle to bump stop :laughing:

Completely understand your reasoning.

Is the problem with small tires that the longer springs screw up the approach angle? That makes sense too.

Yes, especially when you're small tires, so you want to stay spua, puts them even lower and more in the way. :laughing:

It does not look much higher than mine. With new springs I have 3 inches to the bump stops on the front. The back is a little over 4.

Look again, the back has ~8" gap between the tire and fender front is ~6". Those are 30" tires, I'd think those ndt's are a little smaller?

I looked under and there is for sure 8-9" to the bumps. I guess it doesn't really matter, probably needs a spring swap either way.

Is Holbrook Specialties out of OR still doing their long leaf springs for CJs?

Here's something to possibly help with your top speed.

You had me wondering what the tire diameter is, it’s 29inches. I have 7.00 by 16 on it.

Holbrook has had good things said about them, so definitely check them out if they are still around.

hermtheoverdriveguy.com is a source for the overdrive and other parts.

Look again, the back has ~8" gap between the tire and fender front is ~6". Those are 30" tires, I'd think those ndt's are a little smaller?

I looked under and there is for sure 8-9" to the bumps. I guess it doesn't really matter, probably needs a spring swap either way.

It looks like those springs sit higher than others do. The more lift the springs provide while fitting into the stock mounts, then the higher the arch in the spring. The higher the arch in the spring... the crappier the leaf springs will ride. Heavily arched springs suck.

It looks like those springs sit higher than others do. The more lift the springs provide while fitting into the stock mounts, then the higher the arch in the spring. The higher the arch in the spring... the crappier the leaf springs will ride. Heavily arched springs suck.

I agree, when talking short, old lift springs. I don't like flat leafs either.

Newer, longer leafs can ride very well with some good arch. Deaver gets ~18" out of an extremely arched leaf.

A good quality lift spring can ride better than stock while also having more arch. Old man emu, bds and a few others are good examples.

Back in the day didn’t leaf springs Jeep guys do shackle reversals to put the shackles at the back of the spring, so the axle can move up and back?

Back in the day didn’t leaf springs Jeep guys do shackle reversals to put the shackles at the back of the spring, so the axle can move up and back?

Back in the day yes, people still believe it improves ride. It doesn't make stiff springs soft, and has other downsides.

I prefer to have the shackles in the front and have owned and had buddies with rigs that rode great set up that way.

So this thing hasnt moved since he bought it. :homer:

He didn't like how the wheel studs didn't stick through the lugnuts with the aluminum wheels.

He tries to tear it apart to change studs, one hub is stuck on the axle. He ends up ordering all new axles, hubs and brakes. But then orders steel wheels, which would have probably worked fine. Finally gets it back together and the studs look exactly the same as before :lmao:

Also, this whole time he's dumping money into the 41, he has a working spare D44 sitting there.

Fucking old men :laughing:

Top Back Refresh